what's a good way

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by johnnywallywallace, Jan 8, 2004.

1. to burn memory and pagefile space under windows 2000 in such a way as they're not released back into use? I need to force a server here at work to be rebooted ... at 2am ... so the IT people will give me my process-viewing rights back ...

2. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Hmmm - process viewing rights - sounds like they're preventing you from looking at their new spyware software running on all of the machines.

4. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

So you want to use it all up? Just create a memory leak...

5. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

it's up and down. here's the text:

Windows Tip: Delete the Windows 2000 and XP Pagefile

Delete the scraps and leftovers on your hard drive.

RAM, your computer's temporary storage area, loses all stored data when the power is turned off. Your pagefile is extra, RAM-like storage on your hard drive. It maintains its data even when your computer looses power.

The pagefile can contain unencrypted passwords as well as other sensitive data. While the novice user won't be able to see your pagefile while meandering through your computer, it's still a security risk whenever sensitive information exists on your drive. You can tell your computer to clear your pagefile of any information before it shuts down with a simple registry edit. (Always be sure to backup your registry before editing it.)

The steps

Go to Start --> Run and type "regedit" (without quotes.)
    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management.
    Modify or add the REG_DWORD entry "ClearPageFileAtShutdown" (without the quotes) and set its value equal to 1.
    You must restart your computer for the changes to take effect.