whats a good wax to use for....

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Guest, Jun 21, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

getting those annoying lil scratches out..or well filling them in.. not deep ones just scratches...my truck still looks brand new and i wanna keep it that way....

2. MiseryIndex

MiseryIndex i never know why. i only know who. Moderator

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Actually, all a pure wax does is protect. You need a polish or cleaner to remove scratches. See the product list for more information.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I use 3M detailing products - if you're looking to remove swirls, their swirl mark remover works great.

Here's my 97 Miata, not garage, daily driver, driven in rain, snow, ice, everything. The car shines like it just pulled out of the showroom.

5. Mr X

Mr X Guest

clay bar would work. im gonna do my car soon

6. Guest

Guest Guest

thanks for the responses ya'll im headed out to the autoparts store here in a few to look at all there polishes and waxes...

i just got my new rims installed on friday so its time for a complete shine...

7. LSD

LSD knowledge is good OT Supporter

Damn that thing does shine, nice work!

8. Guest

Guest Guest

www.zainobros.com best stuff around a bit expensive but well worth it! I use it on my Truck and my rocket

9. Guest

Guest Guest

if its as good as they claim i have no problem paying a bit more for it. im waiting to hear back from them to see if there is a dealer here in austin. if so... i will buy some... if not i will have to order it...

10. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

Zaino is by far the best out there. Roughly about $75 for their whole kit. Plan a whole day (or two, depending on how many coats) around doing your car...

Check their site (www.zainobros.com) for the pic of the black TA. The shine on that thing looks awesome.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

i saw all the pics... very nice... i cant wiat to get my truck looking like that...

12. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

yeah, just make sure you dont' have anything to do that day/night... heh... maybe even the next morning. It takes a while...

Read their instructions all the way through (they have 'em online) before you start into it. Whoever wrote them would say "do this..." but then later on would say "back when you did that one thing, a lot of people like to do XYZ right after it and keep repeating". So, I started over. Good thing that was just my hood.

I spent a lot of time with the clay bar, too. probably spent 45 minutes on my hood alone. that thing will wear you out! heh

good luck with it... i know you'll love it. way better than any Meguiar's product i've ever used (or any brand for that matter)...

13. Guest

Guest Guest

the directions got a bit confusing.. i dunno if i need to use the clay bar or not... ive got a 99 dodge ram.. the intense blue color.. she looks great save for a few small scracthes ..im trying to fill those in as best i can and give her a good shine.. im going to print out those directions so i can read them a few times... i dont wanna fubar anything....

14. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

forgive me if i don't know the steps for the wax/sealer, but this is how i started...

wash the car normally, don't dry it.

wash it again with Dawn (dishwashing soap)... this strips off just about all traces of crap that are on your paint. takes most of your wax along with it, too.

mix a spray bottle with a capful of their carwash (BTW - their products smell AWESOME. Especially the carwash... hehe) and the rest water

spray it on a small section (about 1/4 - 1/2 of your hood is good)

rub the shit out of your paint with the clay bar, turning and kneading it every so often. keep the paint as wet as possible.

do this over your whole car.

i washed mine again with just water (pressure washer) and dried it.

Then...

Z1 (leave it on)
    Z5 (leave on for 1 hour, then wipe off)
    Z6 spray (wipe off)
    Z2 (leave on for 1 hour, then wipe off)

<you can repeat the z5/z6/z2 steps as many times as you want... on that cool blue color, i'd do it 2 or 3 times.

That's really about it... you can do the z5 or z2 whenever you want after that... spray the z6 on for a quick detail.

hope that helps.... i kinda wish someone would have explained it to me before I did it...
    ;)

15. Guest

Guest Guest

nod nod... it always helps for someone to give some pointers... im hoping they have a dealer here in austin... id like to get it done this weekend... i dont mind spending a cpl days on it.. i think it will be well worth the time...

16. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

Call 'em up - they're always there... 732-833-8800.

Wait until the next time you wash your car after you Zaino... it's pretty awesome how the water just falls off... it's nearly dry! heh

good luck

17. Scottwax

Then why is Meguiars professional lines the predominant surface care system on the show car circuit?

23 of the 27 'Best of Show' winners at the 2000 Pebble Beach Concours De Elegance used Meguiars products-and this is the high end car show in the country.

C'mon, most of the cars on their site have show quality paint jobs that would shine without any wax at all.

This is Meguiars shine on my 90 Accord-and yes, that is the original 11 year old paint, and I took the pic about 3 weeks ago:

18. Scottwax

BTW, I am not saying Zainos is not good. I am sure it is. I do believe you can get just as good a shine with Meguiars professional products in less time for less money. Besides, mail order is a bitch to deal with.

19. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

understandable... i'm (also) not saying that Meguiars isn't good... I've used it before, and have found better results from Zaino. Just personal preference.

Not to discount your findings on the Pebble Beach show, but when they say "used Meguiars products", does that mean that they used it on anything/everything, or just used one or two specific (tire dressing, wax, sealer, buffing compound, etc..) products from them?? I have no idea.

I picked up Zaino (and also Hi-Temp) from my neighbor. He's been into showing his cars for... jeez... a long time. On a side note, Hi-Temp is manufactured here in Omaha... whoop dee doo, I know.

He has used Zaino for a little while now on all of his cars, and he says that he'll never use anything else. He knows way more about this shit than I do, so I value his opinion. I'm definitely not going to take his opinion over other people, so I'm open to discussion about this... very interested in what you have to say!

20. Scottwax

ace3-the Meguiars products used by show contestants are the Mirror Glaze or Body Shop Professional line. Meguiars has a full range of high end products for both interior and exterior. When Meguiars is showing the cars in the Pebble Beach show, they are showing the exteriors and interiors, so I would guess the contestants are using both interior and surface care products.

Meguiars has been around since 1901, so they have 100 years of experience, although they initially started off with furnature polishes. They also have a mobile classroom they send around to their distributers, so I am able to get the latest information on their products and techniques.

If you have only used Meguiars Deep Crystal or Cleaner/Wax systems (their consumer based line) and not either the Mirror Glaze or Body Shop Professional lines, you might want to give them a try to see what you think. Zaino seems to give great results, but in my business, I cannot spend all day on one car-I would either have to charge so much no one would pay it, or just not make much money. I can polish with Meguiars Hand Polish and wax with their High Tech Yellow wax an average car in about 1 hour, and the results will be similar to the pic of my trunk. In fact, here is a Bentley I did a few weeks ago-Just one coat of Hand Polish and 1 coat of High Tech Yellow: