whats a good system to run maya in

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by shinigami24, Feb 28, 2003.

1. shinigami24

shinigami24 New Member

hey guys i wanna build or buy a new system soon, i'm gonna be running Maya on it, would like to have 2 monitors, what specs would you guys suggest anyone else in here running maya?

2. MP

MP New Member

one word: hyperthreading.

btw: I've run maya succefully on my p4 2.26Ghz w/ 21" moniter.

I'de suggest at least a 64mb video card
    AT LEAST 512mb ddr ram because maya is a memory hog
    2.0ghz or greater processor
    most sony CRT moniters are cheap and work great in my opinion :)

3. MartinBrice

MartinBrice Guest

I'm running Maya semi-perfectly on an Athlon 2400. You NEED a card comparable to the radeon 9700 - spend 400$ at least on the graphics card it will make or break your experience.

My cousin has a better computer but a worse graphics card and Maya runs slow as lava.

4. MartinBrice

MartinBrice Guest

If you want the System of the century for maya I'd suggest at least a dual processor system. This will allow you to work while you render.... and those render times no matter how fast your computer runs will be slow.

5. diranged

diranged New Member

Athlon FX-51 :) Mmmmmm... 2.2ghz, dual memory controlers, 128bit memory path, 1600mhz hypertransport links.. yummm.....

6. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

As nice as the 64bit AMDs are, Maya has heavy SSE2 Optimizations so I'd personally say a dual Xeon (as fast as possible of course) is still the best bet. Other apps like lightwave are so heavily optimized that a singe P4 @ 2GHz can render faster than my dual AMD 2600+.

That said, Xeons are pricey enough that I could have more than one dual AMD for the price, or an opteron system (similar price) and have 64-bit, more potent memory architecture etc. available too.

Forget a gaming graphics card...on a budget I recommend what I do: Radeon 9500 (or 9700 or whatever depending on how tight the budget is) soft-modded to a fireGL X1. (Rivatuner does the mod, I run Dell OEM FireGL X1 drivers) Its free, easy, doesn't void your warranty as the hard-mod does. Performance in apps that use the advanced OGL features increases several hundred percent in some cases.

As much RAM as you can afford, buy. I do 95% 2D design and I burn up my 1GB in no time. 3D is way more intensive...2-4 is the ideal spot right now I'd say but it all depends on your budget and how much you plan to do.

Likewise with disks...I run a 15,000 rpm scsi as my main disk and WD 8MB Buffer drives for storage....if you run out of physical ram a 15K drive will handle the virtual memory (swap/page) fast enough that you can usually work still...I've chewed up almost 4GB of page on top of my 1GB physical and still had a workable (albiet slow) system. A 7200RPM desktop drive has no chance. Cost is the key...size, speed, money in wallet...chose 2.

I could go on about sound subsystems and other stuff but I covered most of the key points...other than the video monitor. Its all you actually look at....get a good one! I run a Sony F-500R (perhaps the best CRT going, but not new and not cheep). If I had desk space and more money, I'd LOVE another (or 2 more :) ). Big CRT for your main monitor and one or two small (15 or 17") LCDs for tools and what not would also make a compelling setup and save on space.