what's a good multimeter.....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by rabbit_jake, Oct 10, 2002.

1. rabbit_jake

rabbit_jake Guest

for car audio and alarm installation?? I just started a new job doing this and need to pick up a good multimeter. Anyone have experience with a particular brand or model??

2. DeeVoc

DeeVoc Heh.

Meh, I just got the cheapest crafstman I could find. You only really need it for finding 12v and ground, nothing else really. Just make sure it's digital so it'll make it easier to read, they have ones that calibrate to a decimal point, but that's kinda worthless imho. I use my test light more often just caues it's convienent, but if you use it on newer cars you run the chance of fucking things up. Co-worker of mine set of the air bag light while doing a new celica.

3. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

4. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

Last edited: Oct 10, 2002
  5. edrox

edrox A good man, and thorough

best? fluke. Decent and cheap? Radio Shack

6. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

if i wasnt por id get a fluke but i got the craftsman insead for 40 bucks it comes with a temp probe and a big digital display all kinds of shit i dont need

7. mizturyous

mizturyous Guest

Fluke is definately up there as far as quality multimeters go. I have a Snap On multimeter(quite expensive though) and I do car stereo and alarm installations. It works great. You will need more than just 12volts and ground also. You will need to be able to check for resistance,and other things also.

8. unrealii

I'm looking for something good decent under $70. I had to return that radioshack one a year ago since my bank account was on lifesupport after doing my audio system.

Now I'm looking at the craftsman ones and they seem to be good for the money. What does true RMS mean? Do I need it?

9. unrealii

I just want something for general purpose. I am very good with my stuff, I rarely break anything I own (knock on wood).