GUN Whats a good kit to start building?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by blindarrow, Jan 13, 2008.

1. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

I think it's time I start working on a new rifle to add to the collection.. was thinking maybe a FAL, or another kit. How hard are kits in general to assemble, and what are some things to look for?

2. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

On a FAL you will need to have a smith install the barrel, or buy the right blocks to time the barrel yourself. They use a locking shoulder also so you might have to end up searching for the right size. Not much to it though. Check out www.falfiles.com

3. mephistopholes

mephistopholes New Member

I built a FAL a few years ago. I used a receiver wrench and barrel vise from gunthings. Many will build or improvise these tools themselves. Gunthings has free plans on their site to give you a starting point on the tools. Two thing you will definitely need is a set of headspace gauges and a set of of pin gauges to select the right size locking shoulder for proper headspace.

One problem is that complete surplus parts kits for FALs are drying up quickly and the prices are getting high. The BATFE determined for the rest of us that demilled FAL parts are inherently evil, particularly barrels. DSA produces American made barrels but they are pretty expensive compared to the surplus barrels.

For new parts, I recommend DSA. They are expensive but they are top quality stuff. For a receiver look for an Imbel or a DSA for the best quality. Both gunthings and DSA sell locking shoulders in a range of sizes. I had no problems ordering from either.

http://www.gunthings.com/

As above, the Falfiles forum is a great place for information and advise.

4. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

1919a4..

5. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

They had some 50 cals with a crank kit at the fun show this weekend :naughty:

6. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

I'm a self proclaimed 1919 expert but I think the M2 is pretty similar.