Whats a good HOME AUDIO system to buy?? HELP!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by chibi, Apr 7, 2002.

1. chibi

chibi Guest

I was wondering what combo of recievers/speakers should i buy??

im not looking into buying anything expensive.. i dont have much only maybe 300-350 for everything..

im using this for a small 20 inch wega and planning to hook up my dvd player to it.. "ps2" or my "apex-ad1200." oh yea.. please dont flame me for buying a apex dvd player.. i use it mainly to play svcds...

plus the apex/ps2 doesnt have digital outs i belive.. anyways.. whats a good system to get??? the only thing i can hookup is rca cables.. planning to buy some monster cables.. which is the best i can do with this system.. but

any suggestions?? please?? :confused:

2. BumpnFD

BumpnFD Why don’t you do a triple fucking axel over to the

id say buy a cheap hometheater in a box for now with recivever and the 5 or 6 speakers. its the cheapest way.

3. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Well i spent $600 on my reciever...so $300-$350 isnt going to be much.

I recemend you either save up to about $500 and get a decent HT in a box setup, or get a REALLY shitty one for $300-$350.

Seriously, anyhting under $500 you will NOT be impressed with. Beucase the components at that price are just really shitty.
    Wait for a while, save up more money, and get somthing decent.

4. Pioneer

Pioneer Are you annoyed? You will be.

Even a cheapo will run you more than $300-$350

I feel your pain --- twin 301 CD changers linked by a 1/2 meter cable that cost $150

Try having to special order a 4M optical cable :eek:

5. Pioneer

Receiver --- $1300
    Speaker package --- $1000 (main room)
    Speaker package --- $425 (second room)

BTW, chibi
    The apex may be cheap but it is one of the best for versatility --- until recently the only one that will play MP3

6. Pioneer

:sad2:

Well, I had to order other stuff at the same time --- all my video connections are 4M
    3 DVD players, 3 VCRs (play and record) , and LD

I've got 2 racks (one video, one audio) on opposite sides of the TV

7. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Well, i only bought a Denon AVR-2802, becuase it had what i wanted, the wattage i wanted (small room), and the kind of sound i liked (warm and mellow). And i can easily reach reference levels in room. So i didnt see the need for anything extra.
    What i didnt skimp on was the speakers.
    Adire Audio KIT281's all teh way around. With a ported Shiva 12. All DIY kits. After lumber, and parts, the total cost was somewhere around $1300. Give or take ~$100, from reusing old building material, etc.
    So far though, i have yet to find anything even REMOTLY close to sounding as clean and as full as these do, for less then $1300 for complete 5.1.
    Eventually i will be getting a pair of KIT81's, and building them in preperation for a 7.1 setup. But thats at least a year away. And i have no real need to yet...its just cause i got the HT bug. :bigthumb:

8. 04

04 Guest

Wow, you are going to have a tough time getting a decent system for that price... I personally would buy a cheap 150 dollar reciever that decodes DD and DTS. Then spend the rest on Speakers. That leaves 200 dollars. For that price, you can get a decent set. Nothing to :bowdown: to, but something nice. Perhaps you could get a pair of paradigm atoms, i dunno if they still make them, should run around 200 a pair. I personally would reccomend the www.partsexpress.com BR-1, though. AWESOME price of 140 dollars with cabinets. Unfortunatly, it is a kit speaker, and you would need to know how to solder, crimp, etc. But, if you are comfortable doing that, I cant really think of a better value. The sound from these little speakers would probably be compareable to speakers in the 300 to 400 dollar price range. Another option is the http://norh.com/products/norh3/index.html Norh 3.0. Good price at 150 dollars, but limited SPL potential, and lacking in the bass department. If you want to go the mass market speaker dealers, you could get the JBL S26, I dunno if they would be any good though.

You can probably get away with using the cable that comes with the reciever/dvd player, and as for the speaker wire, 16awg generic should do just fine. Dont fall for the Monster Cable hype, ESPECIALLY at this price range. :rolleyes:

9. krnbk2

krnbk2 lurkin' it up

Well I got my technics SA-DX1040 off of ubid for 180$ it is 5.1 DD, DTS, 100x5. I am also running Paradigm Micro's that i bargained down to 100$ a set at 6th Ave. Electronics. and a velodyne 150watt (375 peak) Subwoofer

so if you can spend 380$ you can get 4 speakers and a 5.1 reciever. dont let the size fool you, the paradigms are excellent and for the price they cant be beat:wavey:

10. Guest

Guest Guest

11. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

Check Altec Lansig 641's. I just bought the 3 ways (621), and they not only overpower any satelite system i have heard, they are just a step below bose in sound Q. I have no complaints at all.

I bought a reciever at Best Buy and scored 18 months no interest. They do sales like that often. You are really wasting money if you arfe not going to spend $500 or so on a reciever.

It's the brains of the operation, get a good one, or everything will look and sound like shit. The PS2 does have digital outputs...optical cables. If you go with high end stuff, then use the digi outs, but if you are not going to have great quality stuff, it is a waste of cash.