What's a good forum to read up on Celicas/MR2s on?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by PanzerAce, Mar 12, 2009.

1. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Or really, just looking to read up on the 3S-GE and GTE engines. Thinking of swapping one of them into an early celica as a DD so taht I can seriously start working on my Z.

2. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

Early as in what year?
    Anything 85 or older will be a bit of a PITA but it can be done.
    86 - 99 is the easiest to swap into, or you can get one that came with it stock.

There's several good forums for info
    www.celicatech.com
    www.alltrac.net
    www.mr2oc.com

There are many more, but those are your 3 best bets.

3. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Early as in before '75 (fuck smog laws).

thx for the links.

4. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

5. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

That site actually shows the problems I've been having finding info. Seems most places that talk about it are with newer fwd celica, and for people that want to keep all the stock electronics. Personally, I have zero use for any stock electronics, and would be ditching all of them most likely (well, other than the starter).

6. gensix

gensix New Member

MR2OC and Celicatech.com. Also, I have 6th gen (94-99) Celica, and on 6gc.net TONS of people have various gen 3SGTE swaps, and there are many knowledgeable people on the board. The forced induction forum is great. You'll get answers to those motor questions there and MR2OC for sure.

7. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Cool, thanks for the info.

8. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

You're going to have a very hard time finding ANY specific info for what you're trying to do.

I can tell you this much; the easiest engine to stick in there will be the 3SGE blacktop, it's the only RWD version of either engine [Transverse mounted, the MR2 doesn't count because it's transaxially mounted]. It came in the Toyota Altezza. Rather expensive as those engines go, it also came with a 6 speed trans, which also drives the price up.

Your next best option [IMO] would be from a Caldina. The chassis code is ST215, so it's usually referred to as that or a 4th gen 3SGTE. It and the blacktop are the only 2 that have COP that I'm aware of. It is possible there is another version of the 3SGE with it, but no other 3SGTE has it.

Other than that there won't be much difference as far as difficulty, they'll all need pretty much the same stuff. Obviously a newer engine will give more power as is and will hopefully be in better condition.

What are you trying to sort out as far as electronics? If you're going stand alone you'll have to sort it out as you go. There's not much [none?] mating to the stock wiring in a 71 - 74.

One other thing to be aware of; they're all slant 4s, not inline 4s, so you shouldn't mount it straight up when you do sort out the engine mounts.

9. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

I'd be ditching basically all the stock electronics and going for a MegaSquirt or similar system.

I know that I won't be finding much for a 3S into the early Celicas specifically, looking more for info about the engine specifically. And which are the slants, the original R series or the 3S?

However hard this ends up being, it'll probably be easier than the VH/VK45 swap into my Z.

10. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

What info are you looking for?

R series are inline [straight], S series are slants.

11. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Aftermarket offerings, transmissions, etc :dunno:

12. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

Plenty of aftermarket parts for the engines, both from large companies [like HKS] and several small shops that specialize in the 3S.

ATS racing
    KO racing
    EMS powered
    Berk Technology
    Speed Source

There's a bunch more. Most external engine stuff is geared twards transaxlially mounted engines though [like turbo kits and downpipes].

The transmission is going to be your problem. As far as I know there isn't a adapter bellhousing that is normally for sale to adapt the S series engines to any other transmissions. It is very possible someone does make one, I just don't know where to look. MR2OC is probably your best bet to find out [they tend to do more custom stuff because they drop V6s and V8s into the cars].

There is also the possibility one of the RWD engines has the same bolt pattern for the bellhousing.
    And actually, now that I think about it, I believe the 3VZFE does [cast iron block 3.0 in the 80s/90s trucks and early V6 Camrys]. If that's the case then the M series engines will have the same pattern; the MKIII Supra had a truck transmission. If so then you can use the transmission from a 5MGE, 7MGE, 7MGTE and 3VZFE [MKI, II and III Supra, Cressida and the trucks]. Possibly even the 2JZGTE has the same pattern, but that I don't know.

Keep in mind that this doesn't mean the crankshaft will have the same bolt pattern, which means the flywheel might not, and if you want an auto, the flex plate. Some are different, so you might end up having to use a custom clutch. I do know the trucks share input shaft size/shape with the 3SGTE.

The 22R/RE does not have the same pattern.

Also, just for reference, the 3SGE/GTE shares patterns with the 3SFE, 5SFE, 1MZFE and 3MZFE. These are all FWD transmissions, but just in case someone references a different bellhousing bolting up to one of those you'll know it bolts up to the 3S also.

Does that all make sense?

13. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Yup. Plenty. Still working my head around the toyota nomenclature for their engines (used to Nissan/Datsun engine series, displacement, extra info rather than generation, series, extra info), but that basically answers everything I needed to know.

I thought I had read somewhere awhile ago that there was a car powered by the 3S that was factory RWD, or am I wrong about that?

As for custom flywheel/clutch, that's fine, since I'd be rebuilding the engine before dropping it in anyways.

14. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Beams 3S?

http://altezza4sale.tripod.com/

Toyota Altezza RS200, looks like they had a few different "editions", some with a 1G, others 3S.

15. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

That's it. So long as the block is the same and it's RWD, that means it shouldn't be *really* difficult to emulate.

16. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

:)

BTW you should also be able to use a trans from the newer Tacomas also [anything that bolts to the 3VZFE].