What's a good, first track bike?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Necromancer, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I know how to ride but I want hit the track and have a dedicated bike.

Looked into the Aprilla RS50 and RS125 but they are holy damn expensive and hard to find.

So I'm guessing some older jap bikes? Any recommendations for something under 500cc's?

2. Jerm

Jerm I

Fzr

3. Phat_J

Phat_J OT Supporter

ninja 250s come as cheap as they get.

4. Dethfat

Dethfat New Member

dawt.

5. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I've never riden a Ninja. How do they handle?

6. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

What about the Honda MC21 NSR250?

Good two stroke?

Jennings GP is about an hour and a half away so it's not too far.

7. oakie

oakie my ninja.

does it have to be a two-stroke?

the SV650 makes an awesome track day bike.

8. bumble_bee

bumble_bee New Member

RGV250 would be good and fairly cheap.

9. sofakingraw

sofakingraw New Member

RS125, you can find them cheap

10. austincabot

austincabot New Member

EX500- handles like a bicycle.

11. austincabot

austincabot New Member

+1. May want to get the faired verson or put a fairing on it though. The good thing about the naked version though, would be that if you lay it down, there are no expensive plastics to replace.

12. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Aprilia RS125?

I can hardly find any RS50's.

I am talking to a guy who has a Honda NSR250 for 3 something k.

I want to keep something light weight so I can learn how to attack the corners with confidence then move up to bigger bikes. The 250 might be too much really.

13. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I really can't find any.

:dunno:

14. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

Starter trackbike?

How about a CBR600 F2 of F3? Bulletproof bike. Crashes well. Lots of spare parts available. You should be able to find a tracked out one for less than $2k.

15. sofakingraw

sofakingraw New Member

Honda RS125, I appoligize. They can be found failry cheap...used. New your looking at like 4-6K.

16. AlcoLOLic

AlcoLOLic New Member

Ninja 250 or EX500.

It doesn't matter how well you think they handle...you'll be a novice and you'll need the track time to hone your skills. They both handle well enough for many people to use them in spec series.

Another word on spec series...race in those and your skills will be honed to a razor edge...everybody (supposedly) has the same equipment and the racing is close once you get better. Until then, you get something cheap so when you crash it it won't break you.

17. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Where can I get them new for 4-6k? And where can I get them used? I can't find any online.

My only concern with a 2-stroke is maintenance. I don't want to have to put new rings in every couple thousand of miles.

18. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I did a quick google and surprisingly alot of people race EX500 and 250's.

I just hate the way they look, like they are still from 1989. I'd guess there are some aftermarkets cowls/fairings that could improve this right?

19. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

What about a Honda CBR400rr?

Some guy is selling one locally for 3.4k with 24k miles, also has the Aprilia Rs250 body work on it so it's pretty ugly right now.

He also has upgraded forks from the Aprilia RS250, rear shock, and brakes.

20. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

21. austincabot

austincabot New Member

Why care about looks when you'll probably end up laying it down anyways? It's a learning bike. Bash it up then move on.

22. AlcoLOLic

AlcoLOLic New Member

Triple DOT.

Any bike you get will look like it's a fugitive from the junkyard after a year of tracking. You want cheap and reliable...fast will come later.

That Aprilia will break you for bodywork after you start racing it, unless you are good with repairs and quick. As mentioned before the Ninja 250 and EX500s are reasonably quick and simple to repair...and the racing aftermarket is teeming with parts to expand the envelope WAY past 99% of most rider's ability.

If you're talking about a DP bike that will see 80% street and 20% track, all previous bets are off. Track bikes are 20/20 deals at best...they only have to look good from 20 feet away going 20 mph.

23. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Well the bike will be initially a 20% street, 80 % track bike then once things get going, it will be a 100% street bike.

The bike posted has an Aprilia Rs250 body kit and took the front shocks with trees from it, but it's a CBR400RR.

I'm trying to find out what readily available kits can fit onto the bike (Calling around to see if the CBR600RR will fit) Otherwise Tyga performance sells some really nice updated kits that look like the RC211V for about 2-300 more then a typical generic kit. Not sure how much shipping would be considering they don't have any distributers in America. The guy who is selling it also has a RVF and VFR 400 as well as some other MCXX and is part of a rather large group who has many MCXX so I will talk to him more about parts and such.

I am pretty craft with some bondy and fiberglass and have been helping a friend fix his Ducati 748 race body work for some time.

The fact that the Ninja's are all over the place and help and parts will be available anywhere is a plus.

I could get a 250r for under 2k.

[​IMG]

With Tyga kit.

It will be kept primer white with simple red Vinyl graphics supplied by a friend.

24. luxy

luxy OT Supporter

First off look at what classes your local track offers before you decide on anything. For example where I am there are classes specifically for 125's and SV650's, as well as classes in which an EX500 is a very competitive bike. If you are mechanically inclined and don't mind doing the maintenance a TZ125 or (Honda) RS125 are great track bikes, as they're purpose-built for racing, however if you plan on taking it on the street forget about it. If there is a class where you are designed for SV650's or in which that bike is competitive, go with that. In Canada the SV Cup is a fantastic feeder series and much of our national talent these days is coming up through that class. I'd shy away from buying an older 600 if you plan on racing because you will not be competitive (unless it's a really old 600 and you can race P4 vintage) and you will get frustrated.

25. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

The track closest to me is Jennings JP and it's either track days ,WERA or SRRS.

On track days, there's only three groups. Beginner, novice, expert.

SRRS- (souther road race series)

The racers will be divided in to two groups, Pro & Novice.
    Lap times under 1:30 will be in the Pro racing group.
    Lap times over 1:30 will be in the Novice racing group.

Not sure about WERA though/

:dunno: