Whats a good finshing polish after M105 on VW paint?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by StealthMode, May 23, 2008.

1. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

I have an 02 Jetta with black paint that I detailed about a month ago and I am planning on redoing it. I got most of the deep scratches out then, but I don't think I did a very good job of removing the finer scratches and haze. After a few washes I noticed that the polish I was using had fillers and there is an ever so slight haze, and since lots more swirls.
    I was planning on using ether the Edge dual sided green, or maybe blue with M105, and then finishing off with the white finishing polish pad to bring as much gloss and wetness back. However, I am not sure what polish to follow up with to get the best results.
    I have a bottle of 3M Finesse it III machine glaze lying around at work, plus we have some Automagic polishes as well (XP Polish, GS-1, and BC-2) Otherwise I have a local paint supply store that carries 3M and Meguiars pro line. Thanks for the help :)

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

bc-2 will work as a lsp. if you have white magic, you can mix it with the GS1 and polish the car with that. hit the paint with the 105, then gs1, glaze it if you want, then bc2

3. StealthMode

Well I already have an LSP, I just need a good final polish. I like GS-1 but it has fillers and it seems every time I used it I get faint buffer trails after a few days. Of course it could be my technique as well :o but on Chrysler paint I don't have this issue, of course my car is black too so it shows way more.

4. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

try the bc-2 with a rotary if that's how you are using the gs-1. IIRC, bc-2 has a little bit of cut to it, so it may give you enough to cut the buffer trails. If that doesn't work, mix in just a little xp polish with the bc-2 and try that. or try the bc-2 with a RO (PC, Flex, G110, Cyclo, etc.) and see what kind of results you get.

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

3M Ultrafina SE and the blue Ultrafina pad.

/thread. Seriously.

6. StealthMode

How much is that combo? I've been debating on that combo, I just don't know how much each is. Around here 3M is a bit steeper than other brands.
    Is there a cheaper alternative?

7. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

that shit is nice. somewhere around $40 i think. but it's really worth it. I was just making suggestions from what you had though.

8. StealthMode

Yea, I know :) I just haven't been having very good luck with what we have at work with my car, at least not my standards for the results I would like to see. But I really appreciate the suggestions and any input. :cool:

It looks like I will be dropping $60 for the 3M duo if I go that route, :hs: but on the flip side, it should last me quite awhile :bigthumb:

9. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

since you have that stuff already, why not give it a shot one more time before spending that money. i mean if you want to. cause 3MUF really is nice, but it is expensive.

10. StealthMode

Well, thats just it, I have. A week after the initial detail I went over it again with BC-2 + Edge2k Blue pad. It looked great until a few days later and it looked the same.
    So my goal now is to hit it with M105 with either the Edge2k green or the blue to pull out some new scratches I have found and some other defects I didn't get last time and then follow with what ever I figure out from you guys.

I think I'll try BC-2 with the white edge2k pad I just picked up, and maybe toss in a little XP Polish like you suggested if I need it. I think maaaaybe the blue pad was too aggressive over all for what I needed. For the final polish I didn't go above 1000rpms and kept the pad as flat as possible, maybe I wasn't using enough BC-2?
    I can get every other car done good, but when it comes to mine I feel like an utter nube all over again.. :hs:

11. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

You can also use Meg's #9 after #105. It's local and cheap. Very good finish too.

12. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

he's already got good stuff on hand. only thing i'd go buy is the 3MUF and UF Pad.

13. StealthMode

Actually I have a bottle of M9 lying in my detail cabinet :big grin:

14. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

well, look at you!

15. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Optimum Polish with a black finishing pad works well, but it isn't as foolproof as UF. UF and the blue UF pad are pretty much goof proof.

I pay $35 for a quart of UF and $15 for the pads. I bought the bottle back in February and still have about 1/4 bottle left.

16. StealthMode

:wavey: