Whats a good card under $100?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by AstroHud, Dec 22, 2009.

1. AstroHud

AstroHud New Member

I'm looking for a bang for the buck card. I was looking at the BFG 9800gt, with the heat-sink. What are your thoughts?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You can get lots of cards for under $100. Hallmark has much better prices than that.

3. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

4770 would be a comparable, maybe slightly better card. Low power usage and runs cool, too.

4. AstroHud

AstroHud New Member

5. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Get a radeon HD 4870, best bang for the buck. Thats what I use, has no problem running crysis @ 1920x1200 full settings.

Is crysis still the video benchmark/comparator of choice? Is any game more demanding than it with "ultra" graphics settings? Just wondering, I have plenty of other brand new '09 games and have no problems with any of them either.

This is with a quad core 4ghz processor and 6gb of memory though

6. AstroHud

AstroHud New Member

Looks nice, but the cheapest HD 4870 is $160 :wtc:

7. CodeX

CodeX Guest

The best part is it's in my girlfriends old pink and teal case because I broke my old case and am too lazy to get a new one :rofl:

8. Fase

Fase Your Face, In A Pickle Jar.

:hsugh:

9. SeeVinceRun

10. SeeVinceRun

Dont you have a phenom? How the hell did you get it to clock that high. Mine hits the wall at 3.8 or so.

11. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Yeah, thats about what its at. 3.4ghz stock, gets to around 3.8 or just before it, I rounded. Might be able to hit 4 but I need faster memory I think that's whats holding me back, but honestly the difference won't be noticeable lol

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2009
  12. SeeVinceRun

I needed 1.375 to get to 3.4ghz stable. if I did stock volts it would crash after a few hours of prime95.

i guess I could just crank up the volts and see how far I can go, but Im not really that worried about it. 3.4 is fucking fast enough.

13. AstroHud

AstroHud New Member

Ha. I still haven't bought a card yet. I was thinking of buying;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150369&cm_re=4770-_-14-150-369-_-Product

...until I saw this guy's review;
    cons: No directx 11. Directx 10.1 is already outdated. You can get a ATI HD 5xxx for around the same price that has directx 11 support. I did a lot of homework before buying this card but not enough.... As my card is being shipped I wish I had not purchased without understanding that this could not be returned. I wish I could send it back not because it is a bad card but because I dont have the money to buy a graphics card every year to keep up with changes like DirectX 11. Do your homework!Other Thoughts: I give 3 eggs because it really is a quality card for anything DirectX 10 but this puppy will be a thing of the past in a few short months.Should I just get a directX 11 card? Keep in mind, I have a 2.4 single core p4 cpu, with 3.5g ram...if that matters. What would be the cheapest directx 11 card that you can suggest to me? Or... is getting a directx 11 overrated? :x:

14. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

15. AstroHud

AstroHud New Member

16. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

There is some debate about whether Tom's Hardware just gives good reviews to companies that pay them off, but if they do that, it's certainly not a unique thing. In theory, I suppose you could argue that companies wouldn't have the money to pay off the people that review their products if their products weren't good enough for people to buy, so...:dunno: