Whats a good brand of laptop

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Chris, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Chris

Chris New Member

last time I had to buy one there was only like 5 manufacturers, now theres asus, acer, lenovo, fujitisu, ect...

so whats a good choice?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

lenovo is my top choice, at this point. asus is okay, but they've gone a little downhill in the last couple years. Acer, dell, compaq, sony, etc all rank as shitboxes.

3. samm

samm Next in Line

apple

4. pyehac

pyehac if she's old enough to cross the street, she's old

We fix a lot of HP laptops, but Dells have crappy innards. Toshiba or Acer ain't bad brands though, as well as Gateway.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

acer is shit. Toshiba is shit.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Fujitsu. They do a lot of business with industrial and medical customers. Their machines can take a few good knocks before biting the dust. I have no qualms about buying and recommending them.

7. daneeyah

daneeyah Guest

:werd: I have TONS of problems with Toshiba. :squint:

8. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

Apple or IBM/Lenovo, period.

9. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

Lenovo for business
    Sager for gaming

10. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Fujitsu is one of those waaaayyy underrated players in the computer biz.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I would not call them underrated.

12. Doc Brown

There's not a person on planet earth that you ever agree with, is there.

Fujitsu is not underrated?

They fucking own scsi drive speed, and hardly anyone knows about them.

Their laptops, like Deus said, are great. Very cutting edge.
    I'd own one of the Lifebooks in a minute.

They make some of the best scanners on the planet.

They're into everything, and they don't make cheap shit. Ever.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I would call their LAPTOPs underrated. In other aspects, generally commercial, industrial, and medical, they have excellent products. However their laptops are NOT special. I can't think of a reason to buy a Fujitsu over a Lenovo. So why the fuck even bother buying something that even you admit would be impossible to find parts for???

Grow up and analyize shit more than "oh p07r0457 disagrees, lets forget that he knows what the fuck he's talking about, and lets forget to think WHY he must disagree, and let's just get pissy". From now on, every time I post, consider this: My motto is: do it right the first time or don't do it at all. WHY would I buy an inferior product when I can buy the PERFECT product. So unless you can show me something BETTER than what I say, then just agree that mine is best. I don't fucking care about 2nd place. And anyone that buys 2nd place in leu of 1st place (given similar pricing) is a fucking retard.

14. Doc Brown

Wrong. My comment was about Fujitsu being underrated.
    Not about buying the best.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

This is a thread about LAPTOPs. Fujitsu was commented as being underrated WITHIN THE SCOPE OF THE THREAD THIS REFERS TO LAPTOPS! I then stated that FUJITSU IS NOT UNDERRATED and this is WITHIN THE SCOPE of LAPTOPS!

SCOPE

SCOPE

SCOPE

SCOPE

do you know that that means?

16. Doc Brown

Do you know what it means to respond to someones quote?

Not only is Fujitsu, maybe THE most underrated elecronics anywhere, but their laptops are probably every bit as good as Lenovo is now.

Now that they're no longer IBM, there's no reason to assume that they will be better than a company like Fujitsu.

In fact, I would love to see a consumer reports listing on this topic.

I'd bet anything that you would be surprised.

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Yes, I do it often. However, you obviously are unable to do so, because I AGAIN pointed out SCOPE and you ignore it.

Allow me to break this up, because it is TWO seperate statements that you should not have put together....

CONSUMER-grade equipment is VERY different from COMMERCIAL/INDUSTRIAL/MEDICAL.

In the CONSUMER market, Fujistu is "meh".

In the COMMERCIAL/INDUSTRIAL/MEDICAL markets, Fujitsu is very good.

Incorrect, for several reasons -- start with the one mentioned above. Secondly, this is a "weasel" statement because in the same statement that you claim Fujitsu to be as good as Lenovo, you also imply that Lenovo isn't as good as they used to be... Which is simply poor ethic. Don't jest like that.

Here is where you put the final nail in your coffin. You imply that IBM>Lenovo is new. It's not. Lenovo has been the true manufacturer of the ThinkPad lineup for YEARS. I'm thinking since before 1997 -- maybe even longer. So the last TEN years for a notebook would be considered a SIGNIFIGANT period of time, and *LENOVO* is the manufacturer of the praise-deserved ThinkPad. Where do you get this "now" claim? Lenovo has already PROVEN they are top-dog.

YOU are the one at fault for "assuming" anything. How can you claim there is no reason to assume that Fujitsu isn't as good? There are over TEN years of PROOF that Lenovo > * > Fujitsu.

Again, go back to my initial argument. In the CONSUMER market, Fujitsu is crap. Their technology in the consumer market does NOT live up to their commercial/industrial/medical name, and that is why Fujitsu has choosen to stay OUT of the consumer market!

No, doc... I bet anything that YOU would be surprised. Do not ever again insult me with your spare-time-hobby-i-read-a-magazine-therefore-i-must-know-what-im-talking-about bullshit.

18. Doc Brown

I don't subscribe to CR these days, but I did find an overview of a recent rating they did.

There are no Lenovos in there, although they may not have been a part of the survey.

Apple, Dell and Sony got the top 3 spots in "workhorse" 15.4" as well as 17" sizes.

And yeah, I see that Fujitsu is not in there either. That only underscores my argument. You won't find 1 in 20 of us posting here that even know about fujitsu, and yet you can't find a bad product that they make.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071001190026AAcl0Vh

19. 3DimesDown

3DimesDown New Member

What are you going to be using it for?

20. Doc Brown

First of all, you must not have very good reading comprehension.

Deus commented on how sturdy Fujitsu is, and I said that they are underrated. THEY ARE. PERIOD. For you to try to infuse an argument about which laptop is best from what I said = fail.

I didn't say that Lenovo has gotten worse. I have no idea if they have.
    But you can't ASSUME that they are still the same laptops that IBM made. That's where my comment on consumer reports ratings comes in. Again, reading comprehension would go a long way here.

Your comment on Lenovo vs IBM being the manufacturer now, or in the past, goes no further than any other company that farms out their work. The specs demanded by IBM WILL NOT BE THE SAME AS LENOVO. You in fact have said the very exact statement about Antec power supplies and Seasonic. You can try to argue that this means nothing. And maybe it doesn't. I DIDN'T TRY TO CLAIM THAT IT DOES.
    I am simply leaving room for not ASSUMING LIKE YOU DO that Lenovo is ran by Gods and Goddesses.
    Again, reading comprehension would go far here.

And if you ever hit me with the "spare time hobby" comment again, I will hunt you down.

My reading comprehension > yours 24/7.

And your comment about Fujitsu staying out of the consumer market, is almost humorous.

They make quite a bit of consumer electronics. Just higher end than you are probably used to looking for.

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Consumer reports must be taken with a grain of salt. I applaud them for undertaking the difficult job of writing reviews (not easy to do, because no matter what the outcome, someone is getting pissed off), and to do so without receiving free samples from the manufacturers (sucks to have to buy all those products). However, CR is just a bunch of average-joes -- and reality is that they generally don't know fucking jack squat. For the most part, they simply do some surveys and then fudge up the statistics. What the fuck, I don't give a shit what the average-joe thinks of their Dell Inspiron. I KNOW it's a piece of shit.

Bottom line is the AVERAGE joe knows Dell because they basically give em away to every school and workplace. And for the rest of the brands, it's all the same shit that you see walking into a Best Buy or Circuit City. They're not there because they're good... They're there because they cost nothing to make and can be sold for high profit.

The average joe doesn't know about Asus (even though they make so much shit that gets re-branded, such as the Apple Macbook). The average joe doesn't know about Lenovo. When I walked into a Circuit City and saw a Lenovo N100 on the shelf I almost shit a brick. I was so excited. I finally thought that the average-joe would finally have the opportunity to learn about a decent product. However, that idea quickly changed. I heard two sales reps tell the customer don't buy the lenovo -- they're new to the game, so let's get you this compaq, okay? WHAT THE FUCK?!?!

So I'm sorry, but consumer reports doesn't mean very much to me. Every now and then I'll see a review that actually cites some technical merit, and then I'll consider their review. However, for the most part, it's a bitch-fest of the bottom-basket bargin-bin brands. No thanks.

I'm sure they wern't. Consumer reports is only going to go over what you can readily buy in a big-box retail store. And as a result, their "best" ratings will go to shitty brands.

Big surprise. The three most popular brands get the best ratings. Despite not having the best technical merit, the Dell and Sony HAD to be best-rated to avoid mass hate-mail from their readers. They don't review notebooks for technical merit, they tell you which ones look pretty and work for the first 24 hours.

Effect does not prove Cause. Simply because Lenovo is excellent and not well known -- they are not excellent because they are not well known. They are two un-related facts that happen to both be true for Lenovo. Fujitsu is not well known, but you are fool to think that makes them excellent. They are simply unrelated; and in the consumer market, Fujitsu is meh.

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

kettle. black.

and I pointed out that buying 2nd place when 1st place was right there is pretty foolish. A prudent person would agree.

I don't assume. I have 10+ years of PROOF.

IBM still sets the specs. They are being more public/vocal about who actually makes the ThinkPads, but the bottom line is that it's business-as-usual from an engineering standpoint... It has always, and continues to be by IBM's specs!

Antec gives Seasonic a spec. The spec sucks, and Seasonic makes it because they were paid to make it. The Antec-branded unit still sucks.

IBM gives Lenovo a spec. The spec is wonderful, and Lenovo makes it because they were paid to make it. The IBM-branded unit is wonderful.

What about that process do you not understand? The outcome will be less than the worst factor in the product. If you have a poor spec, you will have a poor product. If you have a poor manufacturer, you will have a poor product. IBM's specs are excellent, and Lenovo is excellent -- you are left with an excellent product.

I have a glock in condition 1 ready for you. Do you really want your day to get worse?

apparantly not.

Yes it is almost humerous... Because it is a completely valid point and I'm sure you should feel like an ass for not having realized it BEFORE you typed that first post.

No, that would be PROsumer -- also known as a consumer using a COMMERCIAL product for their consumer task. (notice that I have said several times that Fujitsu commercial products are very good). Same as me using a M-Audio FW 410 and a pair of Yamaha HS50M's with my KRK Rockit 10 for my computer audio setup. It's a PROsumer setup. It was never meant for the average consumer. But for me, it's great. Same would apply to a Fujitsu under the right circumstance.

And Sub-zero refrigerator and Wolf range are so :greddy: Maybe next time I'll take a trip to Walmart and buy something "higher-end", at your suggestion.

23. Doc Brown

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

is that your way of admiting you were wrong?

25. Doc Brown

No. It's my way of saying that it's not worth arguing with a madman over whether Fujitsu is underrated.