What's a good BMW or Lexus that would be in the 10-15k range?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Wizard of Poz, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Wizard of Poz

Wizard of Poz New Member

Looking for a car. What do you guys like? I would like a BMW but wouldn't mind an IS.

2. wuwu3

wuwu3 Guest

not for 15k.

3. Unknown User

Unknown User New Member

You can find yourself a '98 328is for that price range or get yourself a mid to late 90s SC300.

4. curiousgeorgeM3

curiousgeorgeM3 naughty little monkey

There is no such thing as a good Lexus

5. JizJizJiz

JizJizJiz I love hot girls.

The LS is pretty nice inside. And the SC owns. The IS handles nice I hear.

6. curiousgeorgeM3

What does the SC own?? The rich, snobby chic market?? It looks like an easter egg and there are plenty of cars out there that will stomp it. BTW, I just don'e like Lexus in general. Some of their cars are ok but I would never spend my money on one.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2003
  7. IloveCF

IloveCF Guest

96 E36 m3

8. sduquette

sduquette Guest

All the ones that were clean I've seen were more like $20k.

As for the lexus comment, mine is one of the best cars I've owned. It does well on the track, drives nice around town, super smooth and quiet and looks great. For that price range though, the ES is about the only thing you could get, and that is not much better than a camry. I bet you could find a 325i 90's 3 series in that range though

9. Volkl

Volkl New Member

a '99 MB E430, oh wait...

10. BoNgBlAzE

BoNgBlAzE New Member

Ill sell you my black 93 SC400

11. 5speed300

5speed300 Guest

12. curiousgeorgeM3

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    First: Lexus do make reliable cars, yes you are right. Toyota is one of the top japanese car companies in the world. But are they as good or as well refined as cars like MB, Audi, Mercedes, Volvo??? No. Do they deserve the same respect and admiration simply because they create a cool sounding brand name and expensive price tags for their cars??? No. Do they innovate the car industry the way the euros have?? No. Do they engage the driver as well??? Hell No. I have driven and ridden in sevral Lexus...........boooooring.

Not too difficult considering the 745 looks hideous and has a ton of technical problems. Not a good comparison of the the two companies.

Yes, Einstein, I realize this. Who cares? It's still about as engaging a car as a game of tic-tac-toe.

:rolleyes:OK I'll be sure to do that, teach. I don't like Japanese cars. They are very reliable but lack any inspiration or "soul". Japanese cars are refined to the point of de-humanizing them. My statement is neither right or wrong. It is simply an opinion. If you don't like it, move on. In my opinion Lexus cars are no good. There are lots of cars I would own before theirs.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2003
  13. 94is

94is Guest

You should be able to find a pretty nice 95' m3 for about 15k. I bought my 94' 325is almost 2 years ago for $13,500 and it has been an awesome car. Try and get an OBD1 bmw if you plan on modding, but if you want something newer, you can get a 328 for that price no problem.

14. daft punk

daft punk New Member

get a Volvo

15. Yop

Yop Guest

depending on your area, a 94-98' m3 coupe should be quite easily had for 13-16k , a 318, 325 or 328 should be even easier for like 8-10k

16. jeyur

jeyur cum fairy OT Supporter

you can never go wrong with an e30 M3. Guaranteed under 15K unless it has REALLY low miles

17. 94is

94is Guest

As nice as an E30 m3 is, my E30 friends have told me about the E30 m3 rule. It's something like "If you don't pay 15k for the car, you're going to pay the purchase price plus the difference to 15k to get it right."

18. lilsavage

lilsavage Guest

e30 m3, the original m3

19. El Slotho

El Slotho Every hour wounds. The last one kills.

That's the gospel right there. :big grin:

20. zlatic

zlatic New Member

hahahha

21. changtrain

changtrain Guest

hey curious george, you shouldn't hate lexus just because they are taking over bmw, mercedes, etc. no inspiration? if i remember correctly, lexus/toyota stopped making boxy looking cars before any car company did.

22. changtrain

changtrain Guest

whoops i'm new. i just did a search on "lexus" just for the hell of it, didn't realize the thread's over half a year old. :slap:

23. curiousgeorgeM3

When I speak of inspiration or soul I am referring to the way the car feels when you drive it, not the looks. Lexus have a very disconected feel to them. They are not engaging. It is hard to explain if you have not driven both.

24. changtrain

changtrain Guest

of course it's not as fun to drive as bmw, but they've always targeted a different aspect in cars, obviously lexus for luxury, bmw for driving. anyways, read this article posted on cl:

Car and Driver, July 2004

"Eager to rid itself of the perception that Lexus is not a driver's brand, Toyota's luxury division will set up an in-house performace shop much in the fashion of BMW's M division and Mercedes-Benz's well known AMG tuning arm. The first three models to get the GT treatment will be the next generation IS350, GS350, and LS500.

The new LS500GT will borrow styling cues from the Lexus LF-S concept seen last fall at the Tokyo autoshow. Like the concept, the production LS500GT will have a hybrid system providing all-wheel drive by sending electric power to the front wheels. The total output is expected to reach an incredible 600 horsepower, 200 of which will be provided by the hybrid system. Intended to offer the performance of Mercedes-Benz's 12-cylinder cars with better fuel economy, the LS500GT is expected to top $100,000 when it goes on sale in the fall of 2006.

Like its more powerful stable mate, the GS350GT will employ a hybrid system to provide all-wheel drive and boost power. With the hybrid motor delivering 170 horsepower and the new 3.5 liter V6 producing 300 horsepower, the GS350GT is poised to take on the likes of Mercedes-Benz's E55 AMG. The GT version is expected to go on sale in 2006.

One Lexus that will receive the GT treatment but not the hybrid drive will be the forthcoming IS350. It will borrow styling form the LF-C concept shown in New York and the 300hp V6 from the GS350. The 85 extra horses will surely provide some needed moxie (?WTF is that? metrosexual term??) when the GT hits showrooms sometime in 2006."

that's innovation, hybrid engine to produce more hp and better fuel efficiency

also this (also posted on cl by 1sicklex):

Sales at Toyota's 15-year-old Lexus Division reached the 2 million mark this month, a milestone that is triggering concern about diminishing exclusivity for the luxury brand.

It took Lexus more than 10 years to sell its first million units in the United States but only four years and four months to sell its second million. And Denny Clements, Lexus Division general manager, projects that the third million will take just three years and six months.

Lexus is taking steps to protect its dealership service standards as its volumes increase. But executives say they aren't worried about becoming less exclusive and won't cap Lexus' growth.

Executives say buyer conquest and loyalty rates are rising simultaneously, a rare combination that they say accounts for the luxury brand's growth spurt.

Lexus sales have risen from 97,593 vehicles in 1997 to 259,755 units last year. Sales jumped 25.3 percent in the first quarter of this year compared with the same period in 2003.

But some analysts warn that Lexus is in danger of losing its cachet.

"There is always a risk that if everyone at the shopping center has a Lexus, then it's no longer of interest," says Todd Turner, analyst with Car Concepts in Thousand Oaks, Calif.

But Yuki Funo, CEO of Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc., says Lexus should sell as many vehicles as customers demand and not restrict volume.

"Luxury is not always because the product is rare," Funo says. "We are appealing to the luxury market by the strength of our product, franchise and customer service. Lexus has been successful in keeping the integrity of its franchise despite the volume growth."

Funo says there is more danger in failing to maintain customer service standards with a larger owner base than losing exclusivity.

Clements says Lexus dealers have invested $750 million to upgrade or expand their stores in the last 20 months.

The brand has grown in both loyalty and conquest rates over the past three years, according to consumer purchase data tracked by the Power Information Network.

Last year, 44 percent of all Lexus vehicles that were traded were done so to purchase another new Lexus vehicle, the Power data show. That compared with 31 percent in 2002. The figure in the first quarter of 2004 was 48 percent.

What's more, every luxury brand except Saab is seeing a greater percentage of its customers depart to Lexus than they were three years ago, according to Power.

Lexus says it had a conquest rate of nearly 70 percent in the 2003 model year, representing buyers who came to Lexus from another brand. The rate of buyers replacing a Lexus purchased new with another new Lexus was 54 percent in the 2003 model year.

25. NevaTrustWhitey

NevaTrustWhitey New Member

'95 M3 - perfect for your price range

Lexus sucks, the 430 has a decent stereo though :)