What's a good bike for starters?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by djskyy, Jun 17, 2003.

1. djskyy

djskyy Guest

As the topic says...Is a 99-00 R6 too much power for a starter? :)

2. f-a-s

f-a-s New Member

imho i don think so cause i just got a 750gsxr for my starter bike. but others might not agree

3. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

What the fuck would you know? You just got your first bike, and you bought something that is WAY over your head. Don't fucking encourage others to follow in your fucked up footsteps.

No, an R6 is not a good first bike. It has about 100hp in a 400lb bike. That's the same power to weight ratio as a 750hp, 3000lb car. Obviously you wouldn't choose this car if you'd never driven before, and on a bike it's an even poorer choice, as you only have two wheels, and no protective cage around you in case something does go wrong. I can't even count the number of new R6s I see get totalled with less than 1000miles on them because of new riders thinking that 600s are "beginners bikes", buying them, then going out and killing themselves.

Look for something more along the lines of a used CBR600F2 or F3, or an early 90s FZR600.

But something like a used EX500 or GS500 are much more suitable for a first time rider. Ride them for a year, learn how to control a bike, then after a year or so, sell it, and get a 600. The smaller bikes hold their value very well, if you don't total it you should be able to sell it for about the same as you bought it for. You will learn more about riding, and will become a better rider if you start off on something small.

I'd ridden a 250cc enduro bike for about 3 years before I bought my SV650. And even with that experience, the SV's power was a shock for the first couple months. It only has 65hp. Buying a 600cc supersport without any previous riding experience is a deathwish.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2003
  4. f-a-s

f-a-s New Member

STFU

i said IMHO... ur a fag

come see me in person and say that fag

5. f-a-s

f-a-s New Member

oh wait ur from cali so i guess ur cool.. LMAO

6. Wolf

Don't you have some looting to do?
    IMHO, you're a squid who chose his bike because it was pretty and shouldn't be offering up his opinion on things he has no experience with.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2003
  7. Wolf

Don't be an internet gangsta. If I showed up on your doorstep, you wouldn't do shit.

8. Low Carb JYD

Low Carb JYD Guest

both of you guys exceed the maturity limit for this thread.

everyone is different. typically, a new 600, or anything is bigger is gonna be alot to handle for osmeone not used to the power, and responsivness of a motorcycle. but some people can, and do get it, and can get on some of the bigger bikes and do ok right away. ive riding for 22 years, racing for 15, and teaching MSF and track school for 3. Some people get it right away, and soem never do.

On the whole i would probably recommend somethign like the SV 650 for a beginner, its quick enough to be fun, has TONS of aftermarket potential that you can grow into, but bone stock, is a little more user friendly, and comfortable for a beginner.

now carry on with yer e-thugging.

JD

9. anomaly

anomaly If you weren't around for the original HA.net spli

Yes a 99-00 R6 is too powerful, too twitchy, too fast for a newbie rider. I've been riding for 9 years, since I was 9, and come no where near being an advanced enough rider to take advantage of a R6. I wouldn't own one even if I could. It is by far the twitchiest bike I've ridden, even more-so than a track F3. Id personally recommend either a Ninja 250, or a GS500. The Ninja will teach you how to keep up in turns, because you will get dusted in the straights. The GS is a bigger bike, so if you're over 180lbs, id go with it.

10. Wolf

:bigthumb:

11. aftershock

aftershock Guest

who the fuck would get a ZX-12R for their first bike?!

12. fr0ng

fr0ng Guest

Hahahh ZX-12R...ROFL....I guess thats just Darwin hard at work.

And TYguy, you're a squid.

13. Wolf

Who the fuck would get a GSXR or R6 for their first bike?

14. RBP-7-(Ooz)

RBP-7-(Ooz) Kill Doctor Lucky

a good first bike would be either a Yamaha SECA II... or a Suzuki GS 500E

15. redna

redna New Member

bleh... secas are poop..

My impressions of my CB-1 are that it is a sweet bike. it doesnt look stupid, its under 600CC so it gets you out of the sport bike category on insurance and they are about 2K give or take...

Im actually selling mine right now on ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2421381322

but honestly im not just bullshittin you about it being a great bike. check out www.hondacb1.com and read up on what others think too..

16. fr0ng

fr0ng Guest

Or an F4i :o