GUN whats a good belt for CCW?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Furner, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Furner

Furner New Member

I dont really mind something that looks "tactical" but it needs to be functional. I am a skinny fucker, so it needs to be a belt that comes in a 32 or 34

2. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

3. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Rafters are supposed to be good, I plan to try one of those next. On a budget I have an Aker B21, excellent belt. I also wear a Wilderness 5 stitch a lot of the time, another bargin IMO.

4. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

I use a quality rigger's belt, for ease of sizing (infinite incriments, if you're bloated or emaciated that day, compared to normal). I emphasize QUALITY rigger's belt, because some are doubleplusungood. They're flimsy, stitching sucks, and they're just generally a pain on which to carry a pistol. Mine is a TAG, but my next one(s) will probably from John Willis. Riggers belts, if you wear them every single day, will start to wear out. The velcro goes, gets filled with crud, the belt itself gets dirty and the webbing sometimes starts to break down. This is a bigger issue if you sweat like a hog in it. Moisture breaks it down even more.

I wear mine every day, work or not. At work, I don't have a pistol on it, but I've got a radio and a bunch of other shit. It gets worn a LOT, and it gets rubbed against all sorts of rough shit, from brick walls to concrete, etc. I prefer a rigger's belt over leather, because leather stretches a fuckton over time compared to a double-thickness rigger's belt, and you absolutely cannot break a rigger's belt if it's worn properly. I don't plan on rappelling with it anytime in my life, but I'm confident in its ability to function as a pistol belt forever. I just don't like wearing a dirty, old, abraded belt.

I ended up buying a leather belt a year before I was carrying, and once I put a pistol on it, it was worse. I was using thickass leather belts, the heaviest I could find without buying a $60 "gunbelt." Rigger's belts are like $30 on average, even for the best ones. TAG, Eagle, Original SOE, etc. are good ones.

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

http://www.thebeltman.net/ if you want a belt that looks like a normal belt. A real gun belt like that can't be compared to any regular belt no matter how thick and sturdy you think it might be. When you hold them you'll know the difference.

6. footratfunkface

Agreed. A true gunbelt should be fucking sturdy as hell. Whatever you pick should be beefy, to support the weight day-in, day-out. However, I still have a hard time paying gunbelt prices when a rigger's belt accomplishes the same thing for me. I have yet to encounter a situation where I was not comfortable wearing a rigger's belt instead of a leather belt. I'm sure one day, I'll need something dressier, but for now, I'm good with the rigger's. Some people require a nicer looking belt, and they're going to have to pony up the $$ if they want a good one. It's a mistake to spend all that money on a blaster, all that money on a holster, and then strap on a $10 WalMart leather belt.

For store-bought leather belts, Fossil makes some of the best for carrying. They're the thickest I've found, and are usually in the 1 3/4" width range, which I like for supporting a pistol. Old Navy is much cheaper, both in price and construction, but I've tried them a little bit as well. Stretches too easily over time, so if you get one, start saving for a better belt right away.

Tactical Tailor rigger's belts are too flimsy, just in case any of you were looking.

7. Furner

Furner New Member

does a riggers belt usually have a polymer insert in it?

edit: good thing you said that cause i was about to add a TT belt to my assault pack order.

i like the look of the wilderness belt, and they have good reviews, so i ordered an instructor belt

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  8. footratfunkface

I think some of the rigger's belts out there do have inserts for stiffness. I'm not sure which ones do. If mine does, I'm not aware of it, because it flexes pretty well, it's just beefier than the TT one. It has to do with the initial webbing size before they fold it over and stitch it into a belt. TT uses thinner webbing, which makes the finished product flimsier. Eagle and John Willis/Original SOE use thicker webbing. John will also uphold a lifetime warranty on his belts, to include replacing the velcro for free. I believe he can also resize them smaller if you get thinner, possibly also for free. He says that if you get fatter, then you need to get out and fucking run, he's not making his belts bigger for you.

EDIT: People have been saying that the Wilderness belts make great carry belts. Their frequent flyer is pretty cool, especially if you have to pass through metal detectors very often. Rigger's belts, moreso than brass-buckled belts, are a pain in the ass with metal detectors. Their belts DO use the plastic insert if you plan to carry, but are available without as well.

9. Furner

Furner New Member

:rofl: sounds like a good policy

i think i am going to go without the polymer insert on mine, i went with the 5-stitch "stiffer" model, I think that will serve my purpose. if not, i can always return it or just get a second one.

10. footratfunkface

The 5-stitch is the other one of their belts I was trying to remember. Also a popular carry-belt.

Some people really like the Maxpedition Liger belt. There have been really positive reviews on it, but not nearly enough for me to spend that kind of money on it. It's like a leather belt, only not leather, and it's a beast. I checked them out at SHOT, but I still don't have the $$ to plop on a belt like that when my solution is at least as useful.

11. Furner

Furner New Member

the liger looks pretty sweet, but at $60 it better be really special.
    they ought to make a 1.75" version if they want it to really take off though

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Nah I imagine the vast majority of belts and holsters sold for gun use are 1.5" unless you're a leo. I have a hard enough time threading my 1.5" belt though most of my jeans. Your pants may vary. I do hear great reviews from the 5 stitch belts too, personally a regular looking belt fits my style better, otherwise for the price I'd try one.

The only reason I mentioned "normal" belts was because I used to have what I thought was a thick sturdy belt. Then this came in the mail.
    [​IMG]
    You understand what a strudy belt is when it will hold your pants open like a hula hoop without you in them or when you lay down on a hard surface and your belts kinda hurts. Even if I never carried a gun again, I don't think I'd ever go without a gun belt again. Buying a gun is the cheap part, getting a good holster, belt, magazines, and ammo to practice with is where people like to clam up. I'm to the point where I appreciate a quality holster as much as I do a quality gun though so maybe I'm just weird :big grin:

13. SexTheAntiDrug

SexTheAntiDrug New Member

i wear a galco gun belt. www.usgalco.com i believe thats the websits. its 2x as thicak as a normal belt, ive had mne for 4 years now and shows no saging, its awsome

14. Furner

Furner New Member

very true most pants and holsters are built for 1.5, but for those who wear BDUs (either to be tacticool, or for competition) would probably prefer the wider belt. personally a 1.5 is fine with me, i wear dickies work pants somewhat often, and i will be damn lucky if the wilderness belt fits without a fight.

15. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

I wear a Wilderness instructor everyday. Nice and sturdy, but not uncomfy.

16. footratfunkface

All of my Old Navy britches fit 1.75" without any effort. My work uniform fits a 1.75" belt as well, which pretty much covers everything. Anything else is close, but a rigger's belt fits pretty good. I've had poor luck with thick leather belts, because getting that little flap that dangles at the end through a belt loop on top of the belt that's already in there is pretty impossible.