What's a good beginner ATV?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Gundam, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Gundam

Gundam Tell Drama he's on my to do list, right after inse

My manager convinced me to get into ATVs. He suggested an 04 Honda 250 because they can be had for around $3100 new. I was wondering if this was a good choice, and if there were any other brands/models I should look at. I'm not out to go really fast, or do jumps or anything. It's basically just to cruise around our farm on the weekends. Also, what type of gear should I get? Helmets, pads, boots, etc?

2. bush0102

bush0102 Guest

well, what are you looking to do with it? are you going to need 4 wheel drive?

you basically have 2 choices: sport or utility.

Utilities are going to be bigger, heavier, and slower. They wont handle well but you'll have the option for an automatic transmission and 4 wheel drive.

Sport quads are mostly going to have a clutch, but only a few are still made without reverse. They'll be much faster, handle better, and in my opinion are much more fun.

My reccomendations:

Utilities:
    Honda Recon, Yamaha Bruin 250, Honda Rancher, Yamaha Bruin, Suzuki Eiger, Yamaha Kodiak 400

Sport:

Honda 250 EX, Honda 300EX, Honda 400EX, Yamaha Raptor 350, Suzuki Z 250, I'd stay away from the Z400 if you are a new rider because that thing can haul...

The main thing is to ride a bunch of different ones and choose what you are most comfortable with. As a general rule, I'd stick with Honda, Yamaha, or Suzuki. Avoid all Taiwanese off-brands and polaris.

And your gear is going to depend on what kind of quad you get. You'll definately need a helmet though.

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

you should be able to handle a 300ex and u can mod those easily,

4. Gundam

Gundam Tell Drama he's on my to do list, right after inse

No need for 4wd. I'm looking for a sport ATV. I'm not gonna be doing any racing or anything, and would prefer an automatic clutch. We were looking at the Honda 250ex and the Suzuki Z 250 today. The Honda looked cheap as hell, but the price was decent (3750 otd.) The suzuki looked a lot better, and obviously had the better suspension but was considerably more expensive (looking at around $4500 otd) :sad2:

5. Xebec

Xebec New Member

VForce 700 is about the only Auto sport quad IIRC. I'm a utility user myself have a Rincon 650, Prarie 650, and Brute Force 750 with 27" Mud Bugs. Mud FTW.

Want to get a 450R as a toy sometime though.

6. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

get a 300 ex you wont regret its one of the most relable quads ever

7. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Dont count out a used Yami Blaster. The suspension and brakes arent great, but there are a million of them out there and they didnt change a wink from ~1990 till 2003. Just ditch the injector pump and premix.

8. KDXman

KDXman New Member

my friend has a blaster and it is not a bad quad. it was his first anything with a motor and he has done fine. he is going up to a bike now so it is for sale.

9. CableJunky

CableJunky New Member

New York New York This is just a test of the

I believe the honda 250 comes semi-automatic (no clutch but you gotta shift gears) and the 300 is fully manual and both come with reverse, at least thats how it was last time i went shopping.

A friend of mine has the honda 250 and he loves it, i own a honda sportrax 300 and its my first quad, it's a great quad :bigthumb:

10. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I don't know how big you are or how long you plan on riding but I would think the yamaha raptor 350 (old warrior) would be a good choice. I had a 2003 warrior and it was a lot of fun. After a few mon ths I decided I wanted more so I got a 2004 raptor.
    So I believe you would be better off getting something that you will grow into.

11. Bret The Ripper

Bret The Ripper I

If your looking for a sport quad and you are a full size male, get at elast a 400cc bike.

I say look for a used 400EX. Not very fast but fast enough to not want more power once you get better. Also, they are bomb proof. The motor lasts forever no mater how hard it has been rode as long as its still stock. They are also cheap used.

My parents have one, and have many friends with them. The z400 is okay and has reverse, but have weak frames on the old ones (im not sure if it was ever fixed) and I doubt they will last as long even with the liquid cooling.