whats a good audio receiver i can hook up to my computer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jigga, Jan 3, 2004.

1. jigga

jigga while your gun's raisin, mine is blazin

im looking something for audio... dont want to play movies really, but if it has dolby 5.1 at least, that would be cool...
    i think the main thing i need is something with an auxiliary input so that i can plug my sound card to it...

i want to run 2 sets of speakers from the receiver.

what do u recommend?

2. 04

04 Guest

How much do you want to spend?

You are aware that your soundcard will need either coaxial digital or optical audio outs on it in order to support Dolby Digital, right?

3. jigga

Hey,

Yes, I know that I'll need the outputs to support Dolby Digital. Eventually, I plan on upgrading to Audigy anyway... but really my main use will be to play music, so I'll just use the outputs on my SB Live and I can use a audio to rca Y cable and hook that up to the AUX input of the receiver. I have an old one that I'm using now, but I want to replace it.

Not really sure how much I want to spend. I'm pretty open to that...but let's say...200-300 bucks?

Thanks.

4. NevaTrustWhitey

NevaTrustWhitey New Member

You probably dont need to put it into an AUX port if you have enough inputs. I have 2 vcr inputs on my yamaha and i use VCR1 for my computer via a Y cable like you said.

You can get some descent ones by sony that are like $199 and 100 watts x 6. However you get what you pay for... My Yamaha is ~$400 now and it is only 75 x 6

5. jigga

Actually, believe me, it does matter that it has an AUX input. I've tried thru my VCR input and TAPE input and the sound quality is way worse. There's so much feedback through any input other than AUX.