GUN Whats a decent brand for a scope base?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Furner, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Furner

Furner New Member

My Rem700 came with a 2-piece base, which I understand is less than. Also I need to level my scope and its easier with a one piece base.
    I dont want to break the bank, but I need something better.

What do I need?

2. reman

reman New Member

3. sprite

sprite Active Member

The only problem with 2 piece bases is if your receiver is not square. If that is the case then one of the real strong 1 piece bases should help a lot, but the good ones are big money. The cheap 1 piece bases will just twist when you tighten them down anyway so you'll be no further ahead than with a 2 piece base.

Another approach is to use Burris Signature rings with the poly inserts, which largely eliminates the need for 'dead nuts' base alignment. They can also save you a lot of elev/windage adjustment on your scope. That is route I went on .308 and I've been really happy with them once I got them dialed in.

4. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

If your receiver is not square, then even a good 1 piece base will not help. Its actually worse to use a 1 piece base if your receiver is not square.

Get a decent 1 piece base and if you need to make it square you may have to bed it which is not too hard of a job.

Its easy to tell if the receiver is square or not, tighten down one end of the base and use a feeler gauge on the other end and see if there is room between the base and the receiver. If there is, you'll need to bed that side. If there isnt, then tighten down that end and check the other side for space between the base and receiver. If there is room on that side, then bed that end.

If there is negligible room at either end when you tighten the other, you're good to go.

I can also recommend the EGW base. You simply cant beat it for the money. It fit my Savage perfectly and works great. If you bed the base properly (if needed) it will do the same thing a $100+ base will do for you, hold your scope steady.

5. Furner

Furner New Member

6. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

Seekins
    Badger

7. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

8. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

my burris signitures are ok, I'd go with badger though next time if you want tacticool