GUN What's a decent .22 for a beginner?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by peckerinadoor, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Just looking for something cheap but not a POS. A .22 is pretty much the cheapest to shoot, correct? It's just for the range.

2. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

desert eagle.

3. Blair

Blair New Member

ruger 10/22

4. anemic

anemic Look just because were bereaved doesn't make us sa OT Supporter

my roomate bought a walther p22 last month and its pretty cool, seems to have a big draw because of the way it looks

5. Ry-Ballz

Ry-Ballz This sucks, change the channel

Walther p22

6. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

rifle or handgun? A .22 handgun is pretty much a joke. :rofl: rifles on the other hand are fun to shoot, and they are good for getting rid of rats.

7. 93ex

93ex New Member

marlin 22?

8. OPM Inc.

OPM Inc. OT Supporter

I would also recommend the 10/22. Cheap price and lots of nice accessories available. :)

9. not really sure. I'm not a hunter and I don't shoot people. I would thing a rifle though...

10. isn't this one pretty popular? I think it's the one I remember.

11. Chi_Town_GoD

Chi_Town_GoD Guest

10/22 for a rifle, walther p22 for a gun

and why is it a joke, punk? its a good gun to plink/train with, and i dont care how weak the round is (its not, its too small and too fast though) i would not wanna get shot with it. plenty of people receive fatal wounds from .22

12. Galactic Gigolo

Galactic Gigolo New Member

13. MAD PUNK inDC

well if you're going for a handgun, seriously don't get a .22. It's not really acurate enough for practice, and definately not good for self defense. Something simple like a good Taurus .38 revolver would be good. It's going to be more expensive than a .22, but it's well worth it, and will hold it's value better. If semi-auto is what you are looking for, than I would suggest a 92 Baretta 9mm. It's a larger gun, with good acuracy, and simple design, easy to maintenance. It's also a very safe gun, with a number of features to prevent acidental discharge, and to warn you if a round is in the chamber. This is the regular issue side arm used in our military. They are also a little more expensive, but a good used one can be had from a reputable gun shop, for around $200-$300.

For rifles, a .22 is not a bad choice. They are easy to maintane, relitively acurate, and ammo is very inexpensive. ruger, winchester and remington are all good manufacturers, though the ruger tends to get higher praise, I'm not to familiar with the 10/22.

something to consider about guns though. If you get one, you're either going to love it or hate it. I'm not into hunting either, but I have plenty of guns for target practice, historic collection, and self defence. A gun for sport is good, but keep in mind that all guns are designed with one thing in mind, to kill. That said, there may come a day when somebody threatens your life, or the life of somebody around you. You may need to use deadly force. If you cannot say for sure that if somebody were to put you in imminant danger, you would shoot them, than you need to rethink your idea about getting a gun.

14. MAD PUNK inDC

.22 handgun is not a reliable for self defense. I've seen too many people shot with them, and they just get mad, and beat the shit out of the guy who shot them. A doorman I used to work with got shot in the head with one, it just bounced off his skull. You have to get right up close to somebody to be effective and even then, there are no guarentys. If I have to shoot somebody, they got to go down. .380 is as small as I typicaly feel safe with.

15. well I don't shoot people so I guess would be ok.

16. KiddX

KiddX Tigth as Piston In Ferrari Engine!

ive shot a few .22 pistols and i found them very fun to shoot. i even used 2 at the same time, cuz the ammo is cheep and i could justify it. as for self defence, a bullet to the head is a bullet to the head. to quote the great steve martin in blue heaven "see, now a 9mm or a .45 will go in the front of your head and out the other end, very messy. now a .22, a.22 will go in your head and bounce around in there but its not strong enough to come out the other end"

17. aznboi320

aznboi320 OT Supporter

18. KiddX

KiddX Tigth as Piston In Ferrari Engine!

ruger 10/22 is a cool gun, but my daddy bought me a marlin .22 when i was 6 and i love it to this day.

19. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

:rofl: at the idiots saying Walther

20. MAD PUNK inDC

I'm not going to debate weather or not a .22 handgun is a good selfdefense weapon, I already know the answer to that from experiance. I'll put it like this to you all. If I shot somebody with a .22, he might go down, if I shot him with a .45, I KNOW he'll go down. That said, how many 2nd chances do you think you'll get in a life or death situation?

21. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

22. Ivan

Ivan Guest

:confused:

23. mrbill

mrbill New Member

for rifle, go with the Ruger 10/22. last time i checked, Walmart had them for $160. i have a Taurus PT22(handgun) and despite what was previously said, it's accurate enough for plinking and targets.

24. MAD PUNK inDC

yeah you might think it's funny, but I've already been shot once as an innocent bystander, and I don't plan on it happening again. I'd like to know whoever I'm shooting at, is going to go down, and you cannot tell me that a .22 will give me that guarenty! :squint: