whatcha think about the a x38 mobo with ddr2?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Achance007, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Achance007

Achance007 Active Member

Is it worth it to get a x38 with ddr2 or should I just get a p35 board? I had a evga 680i board but I wasn't sure if it would work with the new 45nm chips without problems so i sent it back. I have already bought everything for my new system except the mobo, cpu, and graphics card. I'm trying to wait for the next gen nvidia card, and might as well wait till jan for the new quad cpu's. I would like to space out buying everything so I don't get hit with a huge CC bill. So I figure a Mobo this month, graphics next month if/when released, and cpu in jan.

2. Kelex

Kelex New Member

The x38 is not worth it because Intel is releasing the x48 chipset early (by end of this year or Jan '08). It's not confirmed, but rumor is that x48 is DDR3 only. The x38 has the same rumor but we already know how it turned out.

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Don't buy one piece at a time, just save the cash so you can buy at once. It's so much easier to do it that way because if you have a DOA component you're not trying to return it after 3 months of warranty are gone as well as you get the best price possible because as we all know, the new stuff just gets bigger, faster and cheaper as time goes on.
    If you plan on going with the buy a couple pieces at a time, make sure video card and cpu are last as they tend to have the biggest price drops. Ram and boards are super cheap now.

4. thebox

thebox New Member

:werd: buying stuff all spaced out like that can be a big fucking headache/waste of money if you find out you have a DOA component or if something fails shortly after your build.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

save the money, buy/build at once.

Saves headaches for DoA parts, and you get the best value usually, because waiting longer generally gets either a faster part for the same cash, or less money for the same part.

6. Achance007

Achance007 Active Member

Yeah I know it sucks that I have to buy shit over a couple of months but that is why I saved the main components for last. I'm not really too worried about having problems with my case, fans, etc. And if I have problems with my power supply, audio card, or hard drive. I can just buy a new one and send the broken one back instead.

7. JaJae

JaJae New Member

You don't have to buy the parts over a couple months. Take the money you would spend now and put it aside until you have enough to buy everything together. Two months could mean $50 on the video card, $25 on the processor, $10 on the memory, etc etc... If you can't afford to buy it all now, you definitely want to wait and buy it all later, you'll save money. A few parts sitting in the closet that you bought early and expensively isn't going to make your life any easier or better.

8. Achance007

Achance007 Active Member

blah blah blah, answer my original question. Is it worth it to get a x38 with ddr2 or should I just get a p35 board? I wasn't asking about how I should buy stuff, I'm buying stuff as it goes on sale, rebates, etc. Get over it its my money.

9. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

Btw, 680i is fully compatible with new Intel chips, just needs a bios update :rofl:

10. Kelex

Kelex New Member

11. Achance007

Achance007 Active Member

12. Kelex

Kelex New Member

well you already sent it back so forget that.
    again, I suggest you wait for x48, if x48 is only DDR3, x38 could be cheaper by then. you can always have the p35 as your fallback.

13. JaJae

JaJae New Member

I did answer your question. What should buy depends on when you buy and how much it would cost compared to performance/reliability and upgradability. If you want the latest and greatest and want to throw your money away now on parts you won't use for months go right the fuck ahead. If you ask for help don't get annoyed when people are giving you sensable assistance.

If you're in a rush and just want to waste your money on parts asap, buy whatever the fuck you want. It doesn't matter because any cost-performance analysis for your money is being thrown right out the window.

The X38 is a new chip and not much is known about its longevity at the moment. It may become outdated relatively quickly. Nobody knows because for certain because its new. You're asking what you should buy now to use in a few months. Nobody can really answer that question for certain.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007