GUN What you need for an AK build

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Artyboy, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

I just went to a build on Saturday so I figured I'd share some experiences while it's fresh in my mind. This is as much for me as it is for other people. I'll break this down to make it easier to read. I'll try my best not to confuse anyone. I'm not even close to an expert on building AKs but this should give you an idea of how easy it really is.

Part 1 - The kit

The first thing you'll need is a parts kit. There are several places to get these on the web. You can spend anywhere from $100 to $1000 on up depending on what you want. Romanian kits are the cheapest. They can be found all over the place for $100 in great shape. Yugo M70 kits are really cheap, too. They're an underfolder kit so assembling them is a little differant than assembling a fixed stock. There are tons of other kits out there. Do a search to track them down and figure out what you like the most.

Another thing you'll need is a receiver flat. You can buy them prebent but you'll need to fill out a form 4473. If you buy a flat and bend it yourself you don't have to deal with waiting lists, paperwork or FFLs. Flats can run anywhere from $15 to upwards of $50 depending on what brand you buy. I suggest starting with a Tapco $15 flat because they're pretty easy to fuck up the first time. Be warned that if you get one with predrilled trunion holes it may be a little bit off. If you don't know what you're doing it's easy to be just a little off if you drill them yourself, though.

You'll also need enough US parts when the gun is assembled to make it 922r compliant. The 922r part is one of the things that I think makes people paranoid about building their own guns. This website explains how it all works pretty well. Here's the jist of it.
    AKs use 16 of these parts. You only need to replace 6 of them with US made parts to make your build 922r compliant. You're making your own receiver so that's obviously US made. Most people replace the trigger group (which counts as 3 parts) first. They're usually around $35-$40. There are a couple of sites that sell Romanian kits with G2 trigger groups for $125 each. Then you can just pick up a US pistol grip and a US slant break for around $10 each and have everything you need to build your AK for around $175 shipped. Here's a list of the most common US made parts that people replace on their AKs:

Receiver
    Handguards
    Pistol grip
    Buttstock
    Trigger group (trigger, hammer, disconnector counts as 3 parts)
    Gas piston
    Muzzle brake

If you leave the muzzle brake off you only need to replace 5 parts. So if you've got a muzzle attachment you need to replace 6 parts. If you don't have a muzzle attachment you need to replace 5 parts.

That's basically it. If anyone wants a list of websites where they can buy cheap kits and parts just pm me. I'm not sure what the rules are for posting retail sites on the boards. If it's ok I can put together a decent list of where to go for parts and post it.

2. Artyboy

Part 2-

Next I'll talk about the tools that you'll need to use. Of all of the tutorials that I've seen on how to build an AK I've never seen anyone list the tools that you need in your shop. I'll do the best I can. Out of about 15 guys these are the tools that I saw everyone using at some point. Some of them are optional or can be substituted with something that's less effective. Most people either own or know someone who owns everything on this list, though (except for maybe the 20 ton press).

20 ton press
    120v spot welder
    drill press
    A propane torch
    a solid vice
    angle grinder
    bench grinder
    Dremmel

The press is used to push out and reinstall the barrel, bend the flat and squash all of the rivets. You can also use a vice and a jig to squash the rivets in the rear trunion and a modified pair of 36" wirecutters to squash the rest of them. It's just a lot easier to use the press and jigs. Sometimes the barrel is loose enough that you can hammer it out but a lot of times that's an impossible feat. Getting the barrel pin out can also be a real bitch without a press. Building an AK without a press can be done but it's not worth the time and effort. Spend the $180 on a press when they go on sale at Harbor Freight.

The spot welder is only used to weld the rails to the receiver. The 120v is best for the inexperienced just because it's so easy to burn through the receiver with a more powerful welder. If you're one of those guys that can weld two aluminum cans together with an arc welder then I guess it doesn't matter what you use.

The drill press is used to drill the rivets out of the trunions and the trigger guard. It's also used to drill the new trunion holes if your flat doesn't have them predrilled.

The torch is used to heat treat the receiver. There are plenty of good tutorials on the web that explain how to do this right. Some people use motor oil. We used water and it worked fine. Google "heat treating an ak receiver" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

The angle grinder is used to touch up the receiver. It can also be used to grind the old rivets flush with what's left of the old receiver so that you can drill them out more easily. I wouldn't use an angle grinder for the trigger guard, though. It's too easy to damage other parts.

The bench grinder is the quickest and easiest way to grind the old rivets down so that they're easier to remove. You'll have to be more careful because it's easy to scratch up or really damage parts of the trunion or trigger guard if you use a bench grinder. It goes a lot faster than anything else, though.

The dremmel can be used to replace all of the grinders and the drill press. It's just a lot less effective. The dremmel is the best tool to use to grind the rivets on the trigger guard, though.

You'll also need mundane stuff like pliers, punches, metal files and screwdrivers.

There are some websites out there where you can buy several jigs that are extremely helpful in bending your flat, pressing the rivets and removing the barrel. The flat bending jig is the most important and a lot of people sell them. As for the rest of the rest of the jigs, ak-builder is the only place I know of to find them. Their jigs help out a lot and if you're planning on making more than one or two AKs or you have some buddies that want to share the cost it's more than worth it. The barrel press kit and the trigger guard jig will save you a lot of time and headaches. If you're handy then you could probably fabricate your own.

There are lots of tutorials online that explain the build process in detail. They just don't explain to the dummies (like me) what tools are required. Hopefully this info will be enough to get some of you started. Once you get your kit and you get the trunions and trigger guard removed from pieces of the old receiver it's a pretty simple process that's easy to find information about. I hope this helps someone. Build them while you can. They might be illegal sometime down the road.

3. CString

CString New Member

i want to do this but i'm sure i would fuck it up. :noes:

4. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

is the reciever serial numbered? what about the parts kit? What in terms of paperwork prevents people from making a shit ton of their own aks? What paperwork needs to be done to build this? Assuming you're bending your own flat? and i'm to understand that if you get a prebent flat it must go to an ffl?

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

If you weld the rails on you're also going to modify a pair of bolt cutters to make rivets right? Or you can use screw in place of the welds on the rails and in place of the rivets?

6. Artyboy

You don't need any type of paperwork whatsoever. You can build a lot of them and they don't need to be serial numbered. The only number that I've heard thrown out for how many you're allowed to build is 40 per year. I'm not sure if there's a law or not but I guess if you're building 40 aks a year the ATF might get a little suspicious. The catch is that you can't build them with the intent to sell them. That doesn't mean that you can't build one and then decide to sell it later. If you're building 20 aks a year and selling most of them then expect the ATF to catch on and come knocking. If you build 20 of them and keep them all in your gun safe then when the ATF comes knocking they won't do anything about it as long as all of your ducks are in a row (every gun has the proper number of US parts).

You can modify a pair of bolt cutters if you want to. There's not really any reason to if you have a press, though. You can't use screws in place of the welds. They have to be welded on as far as I know. You can use screws in place of rivets, though. I've heard mixed reviews about screw builds. I might try one down the road just to see how they hold up.

7. 8BaLL

8BaLL New Member

What kind of press do you need for the rivets?

8. striker754

striker754 Chillin

k someone buy my romy kit with everything you need to make a legal rifle.