MIL What year did you graduate from DLI?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by QuickHitCurepon, Jul 18, 2009.

1. http://www.dliflc.edu

http://www.dliflc.org

Student Profile

[​IMG]
    Airman Caroline Cardone

"When I wasn’t busy studying, I really enjoyed going out with my friends either around town or on trips" - explains Airman Caroline Cardone.

:werd:

2. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Is that you?

3. I wish. :big grin:

4. Jyokker

You want to be a woman?

5. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

6. Of course, I would have been honored to have been featured--like Airman Cardone was--on the website run by the Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center.

Although, this manner of transformation would totally rock!

7. Jyokker

I would never leave the house.

8. With that lifestyle, you'd have something to hide from...cool.

9. 07. Was DLI the high point of your life or something? You seem to talk about it quite often.

10. Indeed I very proudly do. Most people, who haven't been through it, could not possibly imagine the unbelievable splendor of it.

Even Airman Cardone was hinting at this, when she said, "When I wasn’t busy studying, I really enjoyed going out with my friends either around town or on trips."

It was beyond my wildest imagination. :)

Although, I did graduate at the top of my class in Chinese at DLI, I'm just sorry I wasn't able to continue in this job, because my security clearance was reduced to Top Secret at Goodfellow AFB, when I went for further training but had to turn myself in for drugs in exchange for assistance with my problem. I had not smoked, drank, or done drugs until I enlisted.

11. Off

Off Memento Mori

winner

12. Also, unfortunately and with great sadness, I lost contact with that delight, when in 1989 I developed severe depression and had an unspeakably painful minute-by-minute battle with it, starting in 1991 and ending only not much more than a year ago. It started when I was badly tricked by a cult, and here's a better explanation:

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=4063220&postcount=#5

13. No one could ever despoil that victory, no matter how hard they might try.

14. Off

Off Memento Mori

when I think about it, I guess my boozing and smoking have gone up a lot since joining. I quit drinking though cause I was heading down a path I didnt like :o

But drugs? Different era I guess.

15. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

This is the weirdest thread I have ever seen in teh barracks.

16. Why is that?

DLI is the most prestigious of all schools in the U.S. after pilot training. Everyone agrees with that.

17. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

Pictures and quotes of random female airmen, jimmy smits movies, links to threads about cults.

18. If you take a few snippets here and there of anyone's life, you can get the same results. :squint:

19. This reminds of the NCO club at DLI, where NO ONE leaves without: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'd give my right nut to do that again.

20. You guys gotta get with it. :bowdown:

You seem to be stuck in 1st gear.

21. http://www.montereylanguagecapital.org/dli.htm

When I went there, I only had to go to class for 6 hours a day, and my Chinese class was much shorter than what I've heard it is today.

In the last 5 years, I've visited dozens of times the museum that is also located at the Presidio of Monterey. The photo above is part of it, and I've stood on this hill many times, where I was able to see all of the Monterey Peninsula, and I think it is the best view in Monterey.

One time I was there, they even conducted a tour of the base in a large van. I was so happy to see it one more time after so many years. We went right by where my dorm had been. :)

22. :) Four years ago, I went to the Presidio of Monterey Museum park and really found some hot action!

In those many trips, my favorite spot was this museum park, where a climb up a good-sized hill, similar to the one that Coit Tower sits on in San Francisco, gave me that best view in Monterey, by far. The large stone monument, dedicated to the founding of California, is on the top of this hill.

The museum is next to a large grass field, and wild grasses grow on the hill, mostly barren with only a few pine trees. Planes, landing only about 1 mile or so away at the Monterey Peninsula Airport, fly directly over the monument. Next to the monument, there's a parking lot/heliport, that has a gate at the far end of it leading onto the base, and u can see several bldgs. and the base gas station.

There were several days I was there, when large groups of military students from the base came down in gym outfits to the grass field, to do exercises, stretching, and to sound-off in cadence. One time I got there when there were students everywhere, playing football and frisbee with some watching.

Nevertheless, I was still surprised when, one day, about 35 soldiers with their Sgt. or NCO/instructor came to the field in uniform and with their rifles! They formed up for a short time, and then went to prone positions, following the NCO's commands. They found several different spots to congregate. (There's also a much smaller monument to Father Junipero Serra near the fencing, that separates the park from a long underpass).

I watched them intently for about 30 minutes, but the light started to fade and the park closes at sunset, so I went down the hill and got in my 1970 Duster 340. After a moment or two, there they came. I saw them getting down, around, and behind my car. Well, what's cooking? One soldier came running towards me, with his rifle in front, between my car and another I had parked next to.

Fortunately, I didn't start the Duster up in the instant they decided to involve me in their exercise. The overly rich and pungent exhaust might have made them chuckle.

Yep! I waited for them to get up and disperse. Not seeing them anymore, I started her up and had a sweet ride home!

Here are pics of the Duster I was in that I still have:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

i really am confused by this thread, weird

24. Well I suppose when people want to persecute someone...well what can you do? Have fun at it. :fawk2:

25. I've tried very hard and have only said normal and fun things. But have your way. :greddy2::eek: