GUN What would YOU use for IDPA...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by texchef, Oct 11, 2005.

1. texchef

texchef Guest

....and why?.

I was thinking about using my XD-40 sub but not sure if that would do the trick or not. I saw the post about 1911's and it got me thinking if I have a suitable pistol for competition or not.

2. Dobis P.R.

Dobis P.R. Guest

a subcompact for competition shooting :hsugh:

3. texchef

texchef Guest

Since you did not answer the question or back up your statement with supporting sentences I will disregard your remark. :mamoru:

4. RRTX

RRTX New Member

I would shoot whatever your carry gun is or what you intend to carry, that's kind of the idea of IDPA. A friend of mine that used to compete in it all the time shot his Glock 26 with no problems, so sub-compacts are useable. I say shoot a match with what you have, if it doesn't work for you then look at something else.

5. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

I have seen Sub Compacts used in IDPA, and they do very well too.

I would use either my XD40 service or XD45 Tactical. Tactical is getting a triggerjob just for IDPA :)

6. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

1911 or G17

7. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Shoot what you carry.

8. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Exactly. Two of my friends shot IPSC the other day for the first time, and were appalled at the level of stupidity those guys achieve. (SERIOUS quotes like, "We just shoot fast enough to where we don't need cover.") IDPA was originally intended to sort of mimic practical, work-shooting, not gaming like IPSC has become. Shoot exactly what you carry, and use proper techniques that would work in real-life, not what cuts seconds off your times. Treat it as real as it can possibly be and you'll get more out of it. Don't think of it as a competition, think of it as a different kind of practice for the real competition you might one day face against someone who wants to end you.

If you've never been to a good tactical pistol class, GO TO ONE before you get into IDPA. Don't learn bad habits there at the competitions. Learn the right thing for survival, then employ it at the IDPA matches, and work on getting YOURSELF better, not getting better than other people.

9. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I can't find any IDPA matches around me so I'm thinking of doing the Production class at an IPSC match with my XD40. I'd prefer to shoot IDPA though. I just want to get out and shoot though.

10. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

IDPA and IPSC are not training. They are places to practice what you already know. There are many things done to win gun games that are not ideal for defense.

Take a defensive shooting class so you learn how to do things better before reinforcing bad habits with IDPA.

If you aren't serious about defense than just do what ever you want. You can't do both...

Just my take on the issue.

11. Ryno

Ryno Gun in hand

Your XD will work perfect for IDPA. Especially if it's your carry gun. There are no long shots in IDPA so the supposed added accuracy of a longer barrel isn't much of an issue. I shot my XD-9 Service this year and loved it.

12. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Copycat. I just said all that. In lots more words.

13. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

I would agree with that.

14. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

15. 67olds442

67olds442 uhhhh

my stock 1911

16. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

Agreed. The only thing different between a duty gun carry and an IDPA carry is many of the contestants will use a custom holster or clip for the comps. Most use the cut-away molded plastic clips and that would just not work for duty, but you just can't compete against a clip with full holster in an IDPA match.

17. RRTX

RRTX New Member

Speed holsters aren't allowed in IDPA, you are thinking of IPSC or USPSA. IDPA is very strict with their rule that the holster has to be suitable for regular all day concealed carry. In fact their latest rule changes on holsters pissed a lot of people off because it banned some of the most used models.

18. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

when you guys refer to speed holsters, are you referring to that ugly metal contraption that hogue makes?

19. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

They must have changed that since the last time I shot. All the guys I shot with that did comps had custom jobs for IDPA.

20. RRTX

RRTX New Member

Hogue makes them as well as some other companies. They are basically holsters that just barely hold the gun so they make for extremely fast draws. As far as I know they have never been allowed in IDPA, their rules say no competition specific equipment. www.idpa.com Some clubs do hold non-sanctioned IDPA style matches that may allow them though

21. sextech

sextech New Member

i use my HK USP 40 for both idpa and ipsc the trigger finger mag release works great for both sports.