MMA What would you have done.

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Bausk, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I'm sure you've honked your horn, yelled inside your car, or flipped someone off some time in your life while driving on the freeway. I was cut off on the freeway earlier this week and gave the guy some choice words and gestures. The guy then followed me off the freeway and told me to pull over to say it to his face, trying to fight.

So I said "Sure, pull over".

The guy ended up driving off after I pulled into a parking lot... but what would you have done? Some people I know said it was stupid, but I think I know how to handle myself. I pulled into a fairly busy parking lot (Belle Tire... wheel/tire shop) as a first instinct. Witnesses to either contact the police, break it up, etc.

I drove off the freeway, and he followed me. Should I drive home so he can see where I live? You can't always walk away. I train at a school that teaches people how to fight for real, but also teaches respect. I know a situation that is an unneccessary fight, and when to defend myself. Walking away is one thing, but I'm not going to walk away when I know I would then get hit from behind.

Another friend said to me "One of the first lessons of any good martial arts school should be that fighting is an absolute last resort". But I go to a gym that trains people to fight. Because my school does not stress non-violence, that does not make it a bad school... far from it. People go to different schools for different reasons; Muay Thai, CSW, and BJJ are combat sports. I don't spar and learn how to fight to never fight. I would prefer to never use it on the street, but I will and have.

What do you guys think?

2. tenmeikanoh

tenmeikanoh New Member

Walk/drive away. How much do you have to lose?

There's no sense in inviting a fight. Doesn't matter if it was a busy parking lot if the guy shoots you dead. What if you seriously injure or kill him your training. People have been given harsher sentences for using their MMA skills (excessive force).

I would not have driven straight home if he followed you.

3. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

'Avoid fights were possible, finish the ones you can't as quickly as possible.' That was our motto when I was working security. But if you cant avoid it make sure you minimise your risks go to a carpark with people around in case it got out of hand.

4. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

just shoot the guy next time.....or chill out and don't flip people off in the 1st place, which ever seems easier and more appropriate to you.

IMO regardless of being able to kick the shit out of someone or not, do you *Need* to bother with it? You can't fix all the stupid people or bad drivers which ever, so just take a deep breath and take it out on your sparing partner lol. besides, I bet you've cut someone off at some point in your life too, would you be happy with a guy flipping you off and talking shit? IMO just be the better person and move on

5. Acesn8s

Acesn8s The Deadman's Hand

I think pulling into the busy parking lot was a good idea. A safer (almost said better) one would have been calling the police on your cellphone and taking the guy for a ride until the cops showed up.

6. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

Yeah I agree with that, let the cops handle the psycho, that's their job. I have flicked people off, then they return the gesture and we move on going about our business. When a guy chases you down after something so dumb he is obviously a bit wacko and a "busy" parking lot won't stop him from going nutz. Yeah you have training, but speaking from experience, when some psycho comes at you like a mad man the last thing your thinking about is Leg Kicks, combos, and take downs, man your just trying to not get hurt haha.

7. xinster

xinster New Member

at least you didnt pull into an empty lock and get stabbed and shot.

8. Mega-JC: Da Return

Mega-JC: Da Return Tiger Knee!

Fighting should always be the last resort. Especialy for people who train and know how to do some real damage.

9. teep

teep New Member

Yeah. My buddy, a boxer, got in a bit of trouble because of something like that. He was having a party and the neighbors came down all pissed off threating people and telling everyone to shutup. Which was really stupid because my friend is normally the nicest guy and would have calmed things down if they just asked. And out of nowhere this jumps back into his stance and karate kicks my buddy in the head. My friend then turns to me and gives me the greatest WTF look and throws a stiff jab and a big right. He broke the kids nose and jaw. Then of course the cops came and the kid had to be rushed to the hospital, etc. All the hassle just isn't worth fighting someone that probably doesn't know how to fight.

10. Mega-JC: Da Return

Mega-JC: Da Return Tiger Knee!

:rofl: Honestly I would have done the same. If its just words being exchanged I would have left it at that but if they throw first I'm going to finish it as fast as possible.

11. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

I never ever want to fight someone on the street. When you have exhausted every other option that is available, then it becomes a necessity. There are too many variables and unknowns in a street situation. Knives, guns, bats, mace, tazers, dogs, angry wives. You cant be prepared for everything.

In your situation I probably would have ignored the person and continued driving until he either gave up, or I had to move to a different option like calling the police, or driving to the local station. A person willing to take it that far over a finger gesture is not worth the effort and risk.

Then again I was always brought up that if someone was in your space and acting in a nature you didnt approve of to always take the first, and last, shot.

12. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

9 times out of 10 the other guy will not stop. But there is always that one who has a gun.

I have been guilty of this same thing in the past only thing that came of it was the other guy saying hey man thats not cool you should not do that....after he threw stuff at my car, cursed to high hell but when he saw me get out the car he was pussy.

LOL or this could happen
    http://www.filecabi.net/video/billyscamera.html

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  13. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Yeah, overall I regret doing it. But it's hard to say in the same situation I wouldn't do it again. I probably would not... I guess it depended on my surroundings if I was able to just leave.

14. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

that hicks vs yuppie vid was hilarious
    hope those dudes learned a lesson

15. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

you can account for your own abilities and actions, but not others. that said, he could've been better trained, fought dirty, pulled weapons, etc etc. there aren't any rules in street fights

16. Kuet

Kuet New Member

shitty thing is there are people out there that , as soon as you got outta yer car, pull out a piece and blow you away. So, proly a good idea.

17. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

One of my high school friends flipped off some dude once. The guy followed him for half and hour, and they even had a little high speed chase in the side streets. When my friend got out of his car and said "ok man, im sorry dude, leave me alone" the dude fractured his arm with something metal (it was dark and he couldn't really see) and then drove off.

Some guy flipped me off once too because I gave him a courtesy honk while he was taking up 2 lanes and I was in a hurry. I couldn't believe how pissed off I got. In that split second I seriously wanted to ram the dude off the road and beat him to death. I quickly realized how stupid that was though and calmed down. Donno what it is about driving in a car that brings out rage in people.

18. xinster

xinster New Member

they get away on self defense too if your out of your car with a bat or belligerent and you die

19. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

As everyone else has already said, it's just not worth it bro :hs:

Not that this is the same thing but remember Alex Gong?

"Gong was working out at the training gym he owned when he saw a dark green Jeep Cherokee hit his car and drive off. Still wearing his boxing gloves, Gong pursued the Jeep on foot. He caught up to the Jeep when it stopped at a traffic light; the driver then shot him in the chest and sped away. After a 12-hour stand-off with police, Rodger Wayne Chastain, the man who claimed to be Gong's killer, committed suicide."

http://www.blogofdeath.com/archives/000232.html

Lifes too short to take risks like that :hs:

20. TQ

TQ OT Supporter