What would you guys do if you asked if you could work in with someone and they said

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by therealdeal, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

'i just have one more set' and they've been sitting there on the machine/bench for 2 minutes doing shit all, or they've just finished their set? I fucking snapped on this one dude who was using the cable curls attachment to do some pulldown shit, and he was going to let me work in until he found out I was taking one of the cable curls things and moving it to another machine a foot over. And this is a huge problem at my gym, seems to be a lot of people, 95% have no idea what they're doing, and seem to believe that when they have 3 sets they own the machine for that 5-7 minutes.

:dunno:

btw, this is assuming I don't want to change gyms...

2. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

3. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

:eek4: <--- other guy

4. Ilyusha

Ilyusha Guest

:rofl:

5. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

Change the time you go to the gym... or change your workout routine so you need the equipment on days those people are not on it.

I had to wait for a couple guys to finish thier 55lb curling in the squat rack today (two of em with 5lb plates on an olympic bar just curling away while someone was doing squats in the other rack).

6. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

The only time its not busy is on weekends, I can go sunday but I'm still on a 3 day split which leaves at least 2 other days.

Ok, lets assume I'm not going to another gym, and I can't change my workout times.

7. Grouch

Grouch Guest

If I was squating or deadlifting and someone snapped at me for that they would be punched in the face.

8. Ilyusha

Ilyusha Guest

Stop being a poon and say "hey, gym policy dictates that people allow others to work in. Now, if you would please let me sit down and do a set, I would appreciate it."

If they don't let you, go to the managerof the gym.. or throw a 5 pounds plate at the person.

9. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

No, at the windshield of their car.

10. Ilyusha

Ilyusha Guest

Oh, right. :mamoru:

11. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

Well thats what I did do. I was like guys, you dont own the equipment. Then he started bitching at me, i was like look fucker, when I ask politely to work in, its not really a question. :dunno: Being nice didnt seem to work.

I dont even mind waiting if I see a guy is timing his intervals or something like that. But I feel that if I ask nicely to work in (and mind you I usually alternate between two exercises, so I'll probably work in one set and then never see the person again...) it shouldnt become a big deal. It just annoys me when people feel like they have sole right to equipment for a certain amount of time.

Maybe thats just me. :dunno:

12. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

I'll put the put the plate in my gymbag and swing it at their faces in the parking lot. :mamoru:

13. Ilyusha

Ilyusha Guest

You guys swore at each other in the middle of the gym?

14. velamint

velamint Yesterday I woke up sucking a lemon

If he says he just has one more set, i'll wait. i'd rather wait another minute or two and not have to worry about alternating sets and shit. other than that, i've never had anyone deny me a work-in :dunno:

15. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

If I'm looking to use the same equipment as someone to work in, I'll usually let them do a set right before I ask. So I might catch them between sets, I'll let them do their next one, then I'll ask, that way I'm ready to go right away, and his rest period will coincide with my set. Most sets probably arent a lot longer than 30-45 seconds. So if I go up to a guy, wait for him to do a set, ask him right after and he says, 'one more set' it annoys me. I mean, he's gotta rest anyway, what difference does it make to him if I use the machine while he rests?

Edit: And like I said about alternating sets/working in, I alternate between 2 exercises to keep my intensity up, so if they have 3 sets, I'll most likely be working in with them for only one of theirs.

And also I dont mind waiting the extra set if its with something involving changing plates like deadlifts/squats/preacher curls etc. But if its just a machine or I've already got my Dbs ready to go?

16. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

More like I swore at him. :o

17. Ilyusha

Ilyusha Guest

If some random dude swore at me, I'd crack him in the dome. Learn to control your temper man..

18. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

I'll admit it wasnt the best thing to do, but quite frankly if youre going to bitch at me and not follow gym rules and have shit etiquite I pretty much could care less. I tried the nice route and it didnt work. On to plan B...

edit: I told a friend of mine about how often people get their panties in a knot about working in at this gym, and he told me that its the very reason he refuses to work out there, and that if people treated him the way I get treated, he would 'just snap' (in his own words.) So you can say you would 'crack me in the dome' but I doubt I'd even have words with you becaue you'd just let me work in.

19. grampositivecocci

20. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Yo dis punk bitch tried to step to me when I was curling in the power rack with this "Can I work in with you?" bullshit so being the straight G I am I cracked the fool in the head with a 5lb plate and said RECOGNIZE SON, NOBODY WORKS IN WITH THE C-NOTE MONEY CLIP KILLAH.

21. PreemO

PreemO OT Supporter

funny you bring this up. today i was doing shoulders and wanted to do rear delt flyes, but we only have one machine for it. as i enter the room where its located 6, yes that's right, SIX noobie, lanky asians all decked out in jeans and black t-shirts were working out on it. needless to say i hadda wait 15 mins for the damn machine.

22. grampositivecocci

rear delt flies, dude you couldve done them with out the machine

23. DerekForeal

DerekForeal Diamond Member

Thats one of the main thing I hate about big frilly gyms. It rarely happens to me, but if it does I just usually let them finish. /shrug

if someone asks to work in with me I always let them, unless they dont say please, then i pull out my 9 and unload.

24. NoXeN

NoXeN You can find me up on one

hide your attachments :o

25. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Honestly, does your gym policy really dictate working in? I can't think of a gym I've used ever that has that posted officially.

I *hate* working in, I hate letting others work in with me, and I don't let people unless they obviously know what they're doing. I don't want to be bothered during my workout and having someone sharing the equipment is a huge distraction. Admittedly, I'm not one of those people on the equipment for 10 minutes talking between sets but..I usually just go out of my way to figure out something else to do until they're done rather than try and argue my way into the equipment rack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.