what would you do?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by johnnywallywallace, Dec 4, 2003.

1. I'm in the process of improving my linux/unix skills, administrative and in general, and working on getting a feel for 2003 administration ... I'm currently building a dual pentium II machine, 333mhz-450mhz not sure yet, with dual 18.2gb SCSI drives and 256-512mb of SDRAM ... I'm looking to broaden my skillset, improve my employability and raise my demandable salary. I'm currently heavy on application development skills, particularly Microsoft web and database technologies, with a lot of ColdFusion and a fair amount of java experience.

faced with relatively low-end technology, and coming from a microsoft-heavy background, would it seem to make more sense to turn the dual machine into a linux or a windows 2003 server? it's going to provide DHCP, DNS, domain authentication, fileserver services, FTP, possible proxy, etc. etc. I already run a linux firewall/router on the network, but I'd like to strip it down to be JUST a firewall/router and not provide the other services that the new device I mentioned I will be configuring for.

2. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

well it's up to you. Personally I like *UIX stuff, so for me it's always BSD or LINUX. But to be honest, there are lots of demand the windows admins, but usually they will prefer to see a certification, if you are out looking for a system admin job.

With that setup that you are going after, I would say Linux/BSD will be the way to go.

I have a similar setup for my workstation, Dual P2-333 512MB, 2 X 9GB SCSI drive in RAID 1. That used to be my server, trust me, you won't want to run anything beyond WinXP on that thing.

Linux/BSD can cope with some very limited hardware. My server is now just a plain P2-400, 256MB, 6.4GB. Running linux now, but will switch to OpenBSD because it can't do smp and I didn't want 2nd CPU to just lay around. So, I made my ex-server the workstation.

Honestly, I would prefer Linux, but would also recommand that you try out Free/OpenBSD.

Now I also have a Linux router. I would personally run the DHCP on the router, put your new server in a DMZ. If you are gonna run proxy, I say that belongs to your router as well.

Also if the file service is for your own LAN, then you will want a seperate box in your LAN for that. Seperate the public/private servers that you have. Put the public ones in the DMZ will be the way to go. JMHO.

Personally I like linux better as far as community support and stuff. BSD however is more of a purist option and is arguably more robust. Especially OpenBSD, arguably the most secure OS out there.

3. drewski_amk

drewski_amk Guest

throw linux on it, what i am currently using and is very easy to set up for most of what you want to do, at least a basic setup is, you may need tweak here and there. never had problems with it and was running ftp, dhcp, web server off an old 486 so you should have no problems

4. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Load both? :dunno:

There is demand out there for both professionals.. *NIX professionals may have a higher demand, especially in specialized fields.

It'll NEVER hurt to learn both.

5. I eventually plan to become proficient in both ... I plan to build a second server down the road for whichever OS I don't install now ... but I'm not dual-booting, I want to build a "learning production environment" that's truer to the workplace.

I have previous win nt and 2000 and xp admin experience ... given the hardware, a linux server seems to make more sense ... then maybe down the road I can scrape together some more beef for a 2003 box.

6. it's going to be a fileserver for my LAN as well as potentially for outside FTP, IRC DCC server, possible web ... as I go I plan to break out more services to individual dedicated boxes, but all this is side project stuff, so it's slow going. but above all it's a learning device ...

7. DatacomGuy

:cool: Definitely go Linux over the other.

You could VMWare it.

8. also, next question: anyone recommend a good linux distro? I've successfully installed and used RedHat 7.1 and 9.2 as well as VectorLinux 4.0 (a slimmed down Slackware). My most recent installation was the first time I went without installing a GUI. I want to go non-GUI again, and I want to compile her from kernel to Samba to every other package I require ...

9. DatacomGuy

In for IRC link. :x:

10. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

Go with Linux. I don't know how well 2K3 server will run on that hardware, but I suspect not well.

11. but of course! ;)

I'm going to be able to dedicate about 15gb of space if I'm mirrored ... but it's not critical data ... so maybe I shouldn't bother mirroring, and maximize space instead ...

12. DatacomGuy

Go with more space.

13. DatacomGuy

Why do you say that?? Win2K3 would run fine on that hardware.. :confused:

14. I think I concur. :big grin:

15. col_panic

really? that's pretty cool, because i tried running w2k adv. server on a pIII 500 with 512MB (admittedly with about every service you could want) and it was a total dog.

i assumed W2K3 would have more overhead :dunno:

16. remember too it's a dualie ... and this will be on SCSI disks, not sure if you were IDE or not.

17. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

In fact you can do some fancy software RAID setup with your machine, although software, but you get very little performance hit especially with SMP.

you can do RAID 0, 1, 5 with linux kernal. No hardware contraoller required. Now, if you want some speed as well some enhanced data security.

You can mirror helf of your HD, and stirp half of your HD

for exmaple you have

HD1 | RAID 0 | RAID 1 |

HD2 | RAID 0 | RAID 1 |

So, with your two of your 18.2 GB. You end up with 9GB of RAID 1 and 18GB of RAID 0. So you can place your system data, all critical datas on the RAID 1 and the rest on RAID 0.

In actual fact, the Linux Kernal is pretty powerful.

My P2 server, have 2 HDs runnign RAID1, one of them is 8GB drive and another is 6GB drive. So, I have a 6GB RAID 1, and the remaining 2GB I call it /junked

With many Hardware controller, if you have drive of 2 different size, you waste the extra space, with Linux, you can find some use for it.

18. the board is a gigabyte ga-686dlx with an adaptec scsi controller ... what configuration should I be looking at?

19. DatacomGuy

Of course it's going to be a dog on a P3 500..

..but his is going to be duals remember.

20. col_panic

yeah, i don't have much experience with win32 based systems on smp machines. and mine was also ide. i guess i need to load up a dual proc scsi box with w2k server

21. DatacomGuy

Try it out. You may be surprised!

22. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

If you are refering to the HD setup, however you want it. It's your rig.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/getting-started-guide/

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/admin-primer/

Those should help you, the customization guide discussed as to how to setup RAID when installing the distro.

I would HIGHLY recommand 512MB of RAM, also, if you are gonna install Red Hat, install the 9 not the Fedora... The Federo core yellow is pretty buggy... at least that's how it was when I tried it 2 days ago... put Red Hat 9 back on it and it runs nice and smooth.

One note on the HD setup, it depends on how many data you want to store on the server. Personally I don't use too much space on the server... So, I use RAID 1. If you want performance as well as space, get another 4-5 identical HD, and use RAID 5.

23. no money nor space for the additional hard drives, I'm looking to find a happy balance between usable space, performance, and backup ...

24. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Then I would recommand that you have 9.1GB of RAID 1 and RAID 0 the rest...

you end up with 18.2 + 9.1 = 27.3GB of space.

it will probably take you about 1.5-3GB of space for the OS, with another 0.5GB to 1GB for your swap space (page files).

You will have about 5 GB - 6 GB of space left on your RAID 1 array. Those space will be protected with redudency. For the inner edge of the discs, you RAID 0 them, asn use them to store your data. Back up your data FAITHFULLY onto tape/optical drive.

around 23GB of spaces for a personal file server is a lot... IMHO. Of course all my media files are not on my server.

I would recommand the RAID 1 + RAID 0 on 2 HDs.

25. I don't have a tape or optical backup, and I don't need it .. this is just a server I'm building for home for my roomate's and my mp3s, some work material going between work and home, my personal website, etc. etc. etc. it's a learning tool more than it is truly utilitarian ... 1+0 partial for the ~27 or so sounds good to me. thanks!