GUN What would you do?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by fatmoocow, Sep 1, 2008.

?

What do you do?

1. Get out of the car and let him take off in a grand am with a flat tire?

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. Quick draw and shoot him through the window.

17 vote(s)
    43.6%
  3. Take off into traffic passing in front of you.

16 vote(s)
    41.0%
  4. Get out and then pop him?

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

So the other day my gf was driving in the ghetto and was stopped playing with her cell phone. A man taps on the window and says get out of the car, she turns and sees a man holding a gun in the air.

Now in this particular situation she also immediately sees like 10 officers come running and the guy slide across her hood dukes of hazard style before getting tackled and his hair pick jammed into his brain.

Now let's say there are no cops to save you and you are CCW'd with relatively quick access.

2. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

In ohio your car is now your castle as well (sept 9th) and if your life is threatened in your castle you can react with deadly force

3. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

hit the fucking gas.

4. Liptonucf

Liptonucf wee woo wee woo wee woo

not stop and play with my cell phone in the ghetto would have been the only good answer if it were there. people make themselves victims without even realizing it.

5. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Floor it. A firearm is not a first option, but only a last resort. If she wasn't pinned in the front by traffic, punch it.

6. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

Pedal to the metal.

7. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

No kidding. A chick I know at work drives through a housing project because it cuts about 5 minutes off her morning drive time. I explained to her, if she has a flat, car brakes down, etc, in there she is fucking dead. It took me 4 months to finally convince her to take a different route. Some people are truly oblivious about their surroundings. :hs:

8. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

I would floor it - but seriously, I don't think I'd get into that situation myself.

Situational awareness FTW.

9. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

:werd:

10. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

Your girlfriend shouldn't have been there.

11. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

:werd: be proactive not reactive

12. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

She was just leaving Tyrone's place.

13. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Car is a better weapon. Use it to get the hell out of harms way or use it as a 3000 lbs battering ram.

14. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

This calls for an experiment. Two of you crazy people here need to get together with a paintball gun and a car. Position the gun man at the drivers window with his gun out. Can the shooter get any shots off that might be hitting the driver as the car accelerates away? I would guess with the average commuter car that you'd be a pretty easy target for a few seconds.

15. Mace Windu

Mace Windu OT's Resident Pile of Awesome

Pedal meet floor.

I have to drive through a couple of miles of ghetto to work though. There are two ways to get to work, and both are through the ghetto. People have been mugged in the parking lot. :hs: Working at the hospital is ftw, but the location is ftl.

16. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

I wouldn't have been in the ghetto. That said. If I can escape with the car, that's the option I would take. If I was boxed in, gun is coming out.

17. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

would this be smart? i would act all compliant and shit, and put my hands up and then right when i go to open the door I would simultaneously punch the gas.

I think a little mis-direction would be a good thing. I am getting the impression from the above posts that no perp would never expect in a million years someone to floor it and run.

and how come no one has said how amazing it was that the cops were actually in the right place at the right time

18. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

If the threat is skilled and motivated your going to be screwed anyway.

Trying to get out of the car and shoot it out with the threat is a very poor idea. If you want to talk about making yourself a easy target, this one has a pretty good chance of getting you killed.

Shooting through the window is also not the best idea. The threat is mobile and you are more or less imobile.

Using the car to get away or using the car as a weapon is best option out of a choice of shitty options. First the threat most likely wants the car, or to rob you. If you make a run with the car they have to make a decision about how motivated they are. Is the car worth anything if they shoot it up. Are they commited enough to add a murder to the crime or were they just hoping for a easy submisive victem.

Not very long ago there was a high profile murder of two LAPD detectives who were ambushed in their car. The threats pulled up behind them blocking them in against traffic. Then they fired out the windows through the detectives rear window and eventually killed the two cops. A extensive study was done on what could of been done, and how to prepare officers on how to handle the situation or similar situations. Of course the best step is situational awareness, leave yourself an out, spot threats before they get the advantage over you. Failing this first option is to use the vehicle for escape, or as a weapon. Last option was how to fight from a vehicle and how to fight out of a vehicle.

I got to watch some of this training for the last option. One department which I will not name made a effort to use an actual vehicle. Doors were opened and officers returned fire while trying to use the door jam as protection. Did not look like a situation they were likely to survive. Another department ran the same drill but used chairs and a plywood stand up baricade. They were laughing and goofing around quite a bit. Some of the LEO guys I was with at the time did not think much of the instructors or the training.

19. SNDP

SNDP New Member

"Here's the keys, you're gonna love how she handles" then blast him if he lets his guard down if possible.

20. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

:ugh:

21. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Again it depends of how motivated the threat is. There have been car jackings in LA (los angles) where they get you out of the car then they pop you. The murder is part of a gang initiation. Your going to have to measure your options and your gut instinct of what you think the threat is motivated to do.

If the car is in gear, you have a path of escape, or manuverbility to use the car as a weapon I still think this is your best choice.

You could give up the car and put your life in the hands on the threats mercy. "Don't shoot, I don't care about the car it's insured."

As far as misdirection many times the car jacker directs you to shut up and lie down on the ground and not fucking move. They will have the gun indexed on you until they are in the car, have it in gear, and take off. At this point just let them have the car.

22. BKhAH

BKhAH OT Supporter

I guy I work with was shot in the chin during a car jacking it's a tough situation to be in.

23. pimpofthenation

pimpofthenation OT Supporter

As previously stated, when I'm in my truck, I drive with my carry gun out of the holster, sort of under my right leg. So it IS immediately accessible. No reaching under a shirt, no reaching into a glovebox, etc.

That having been said, if the vehicle is in gear, you're still going to be able to floor it faster than you can pull the gun and fire. So yeah, I'd floor it and duck. That's probably your best bet to get away uninjured. If all possible, I'd crank the wheel to the left as I nailed it, hopefully I can give him a solid bump with the truck as I leave, delay any shot he might try to get off.

Being in a pickup truck, a shot from behind is going to have to go through a rhinolined tailgate, rhinolined front of the bed, rear of the cab, jump seat, and then my seat to get to me (provided I'm low enough).

24. pimpofthenation

pimpofthenation OT Supporter

but yeah, having commuted through the ghetto, lived in Detroit, and been around it for probably 18 of my 32 years... I'm always aware of my surroundings. Texting at an intersection in the hood = begging for it.

25. Mikael

Mikael OT Supporter

Kid who went to high school (they bussed in blacks from 15 miles away for "cultural diversity") tried to carjack someone with a gun. He floored it, kid shot and killed him.

Getting out is the best possible way to avoid being killed, aside from seeing it coming. No way you could draw on them or drive away fast enough.