MIL What would you do?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jyokker, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

You are the NCOIC of a shop. There are three people including yourself that show up at 0600 and work until 1400. Your lead technician knows more than you, but doesn't rub it in your face, and will perform any task you ask with precision. One problem. He doesn't show up until 0605 - 0610. Nothing is going on at 0600 but standards are standards right? He also regularly stays until 1600, sometimes even later, working on projects.

You have talked to him about his tardiness, but he doesn't improve. His tardiness is the only thing that he does wrong.

What do you do about his tardiness?
    Do you do anything?
    Do you let it slide as long as it doesn't get later?
    Do you begin paperwork?

2. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

If he is the lead technician, and the most experienced, more than likely the other troops in the shop look to him for guidance and how things are done. By you letting him get away with tardiness you are letting him undermine your authority, if you have counseled the shop on duty hours, and you best believe he knows he is doing it. Him disregarding your duty hours is disrespect and detrimental to the formation of a strong and cohesive team.

If it was me, and I had already verbally counseled him, I would do a LOC for your personal records and adjust fire from there based upon his response to the counseling.

3. Jyokker

BTW, you are the same rank, but outrank this guy by a month, and you are not his supervisor/rater.

4. brackac

That's a whole nother ball of wax. You can try to influence him to do the right thing, and speak to his sup, but you only truely have supervisory control over your troops. Make sure your troops know the standard, and counsel them on doing the right thing regardless of what other may be doing.

5. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

how can you be the NCOIC but not be in charge of him? Even if you are the same rank you are still senior to him in billet.

6. Jyokker

AF :lupie:

This is one of the reasons why my former Marine friend who joined the AF hated it.

7. brackac

I thought it was absolutely retarded also. Just another reason why I say that AF NCO's have very limited supervisery/leadership power or responsibility in comparison to the other services.

8. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

your billet title should be NCOSIC: NCO sorta IN CHARGE

9. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

:rofl:

do what you can. do the LOC if you can otherwise suggest to the actual supervisor that he needs to do paperwork on him to get a change in behavior. If you let this slide there is the chance that his behavior may progressively get worse to the point where you will have no other option but to give him an Article 13? for going AWOL, true story.

10. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

Having read the thread, this answer is textbook ALS and applies. I graduate ALS on Wednesday :bowdown:.

11. brackac

Blame it on the 4 military leadership schools I have attended.

12. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

Word. I wouldn't keep it for personal records though. It needs to be in his PIF or it carries no weight to push through a court-martial later on.

13. Jyokker

But you know it carries little weight coming from someone of the same rank who has no supervisory over the individual. I'm not even sure if you could access their PIF.

14. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

then you should probably find somebody who will write it up so it does have some weight. You may even have to write it yourself and then have them put their name on it because it sounds like the real supervisors don't know about the matter.

15. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

I'd begin paper work.

Just like you said, standards are standards and if you are not holding those to everyone you won't have any grounds for holding anyone else accountable even those of lesser grade/rank.

16. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Not applicable to Jyokker's situation, but under normal circumstances I would combine the two above. LOC for the record, with early start times mandatory until he has proven that he can meet the standard.