GUN What would you do?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Nov 18, 2006.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This article was posted over on arfcom and some of the responses got me thinking. Say your at the zoo and you are lawfully CCW'n and you see some dumbass hop a fence or whatever and he starts getting mauled now its his fault he put himself in the situation noone else is in danger would you help him?
    BEAR KILLED TO SAVE MAN WHO PUT ARM INTO CAGE

By Martin Gansberg
    THE NEW YORK TIMES
    June 6, 1971

A polar bear at the Central Park Zoo was shot dead by a policeman yesterday after the animal sank his teeth into the arm of a man who had reached into his cage.

Witnesses in the crowded zoo said the man had jumped over a three-foot protective rail in front of the cage and then pushed his hand between the cage’s bars, above a three-foot cyclone fence that is additional protection for visitors.

Screams from the gathering crowd as the bear seized the man’s hand drew Patrolman Charles Dlugokecki of the Central Park Precinct. The patrolman shot the 6 year-old animal in the chest after he and the zoo attendant tried unsuccessfully to free the man by firing shots in the air and pushing the bear with a stick.

The injured man, Oliver Jones, 29 years old, of 355 East 10th Street, was taken to Lenox Hill Hospital, where he was admitted for treatment of a bone fracture, cuts and shock.

“I couldn’t tell whether he was trying to feed the bear or just tease him,” one witness said. “The animal came right toward him, around the little pool there to the fence. It grabbed his hand fast.”

“There must have been 200 people there,” said Patrolman Dlugokecki, who had been making his rounds of the zoo at 12:30 P.M. “They were all yelling. I could see this man, his arm between the bars of the cage, struggling to free it from the mouth of the bear.”

The patrolman said he had jumped over the protective rail and tried to push the bear, named Skandy, away from Mr. Jones.

“Nothing worked,” Patrolman Dlugokecki said. “I took out my gun and fired a shot in the air, hoping the animal would let go. Instead it pulled in more of the man’s hand, up to his wrist.”

At that point Eddie Rodriquez, the lionkeeper at the zoo, went to help the patrolman. He started pushing the bear with a stick, but to no avail.

“I fired another shot in the air,” Patrolman Dlugokecki said. “The bear sucked in more of the man’s hand, right up to the forearm. I made up my mind I’d have to shoot the bear.”
    As Mr. Rodriquez pushed at Skandy with the stick, the policeman fired into the left side of the animal’s chest. The bear let go of Mr. Jones’s hand, staggered back and fell dead against the fence of an adjacent unoccupied cage.

There was an audible sigh of relief from the people in the crowd, out for a visit to the zoo on the warm, pleasant day. Some took pictures of the scene, others pulled youngsters away so they would not see the dead bear.

“He was quite docile,” said Jack DeLease, the special animal agent who planned to remove the carcass last night. “But you know how bored caged animals get. Put a toy before them – something to attract them – and they’ll go for it, take it right in their mouths.”

Witnesses at yesterday’s incident were not certain whether Mr. Jones had been attempting to feed Skandy or was teasing him. But Mr. Rodriquez, the lionkeeper, said: “This man was bothering the animals. I just chased him from another area. He was teasing them.”

The bear was born in 1965 in Sweden and came to the Central park Zoo in April, 1970.

“It was awful,” said Robert Johnson of 154 East 91st Street, who had watched the struggle. “The bear wouldn’t let go and the man was hollering. He had been teasing the bear. He must have been crazy.”

‘I Didn’t Dare Help’

Another witness, Joe Rivera of 1976 Vyse Avenue, the Bronx, said: “I was standing right next to him. I didn’t dare help him. He asked for it - he put his hand through. It says on the signs not to feed the animals.”

The incident was not the first of this kind at the zoo. In July, 1944, two couples broke into the zoo at 2 A.M. and climbed over the protective rail to bait a polar bear. The animal tore off the forearm of Catherine Searles, 24, of 1155 Park Avenue, before it was pulled away. That bear, named Soc, weighed 500 pounds and was seven feet tall.

Before Mr. Jones was taken to the hospital yesterday, he was treated for gashes at the Central Park police station.

“I don’t know what he was thinking,” said Patrolman Dlugokecki. “I gave him a summons for feeding the animals. It’s illegal, you know.”

2. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

He should have shot the dumbass that put his arm in the cage.

3. Accord

Accord New Member

I wouldn't have done shit. If that guy was dumb enough to jump in the cage, good fucking riddance.

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That's my stance on it also, the bear was just doing what bears do some food walked up to him and he grabbed it. The guy was an adult and knew what he was doing was wrong. I will not interfere when Darwin is at work, I will get some video of darwins work for OT though like Goatslayer said.

5. Aequitas

It's kind of like the people that stick their hand under a lawnmower while it's on...maybe those people are better off without both of their arms.

6. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Yup I wouldn't have likely helped either. Had he been fighting for his life and not his arm things might have changed. Gotta love Darwin.

7. Gimik

Gimik New Member

There is no way I would kill a bear because some moron (unless it was family :hs:) shoved his hand into a bear cage.

8. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

I'd whip out the trusty pocketknife and start whittling away at the shoulder.

No way I'd waste ammo on a dumbass like that.

9. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Id stand and watch a stupid man get mauled by a bear in safety

10. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

today i'd wait... and let someone who is paid to do it, go for it... no use getting sued by the zoo.

before everyone got sue happy, i'd blast the fucker.. and the bear.

11. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

Everyone involved was stupid. I would have let the guy teasing the bear get chewed up. The cop needs to be in some serious trouble for firing rounds into the air, I'd love to know where those bullets ended up.

12. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

Besides, shouldn't the zoo have tranquilizer guns? That would have taken care of everything

13. Accord

Accord New Member

But that would make too much sense!

14. gyeagle1

gyeagle1 New Member

Goooooo Bear's :mamoru: :mamoru: :mamoru:

15. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt New Member

cops should have shot the guy

16. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

The only reason the cop didn't get his ass sued off was because it was 1971. Had that happened today, the cop would have been sued by the zoo and the dumbass that put his hand in the cage would have sued the zoo and probably the cop too. People today are just too fucking stupid to accept the consequences of their actions.

17. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

ide *try* to help by staying out of the way, while maintaining a comfortable viewing position... maybe fired a shot or two into the ground, but the everybody should have just kept pulling and waiting till someone could get a tranq dart cause that bear did NOT deserve to be killed...

18. my thoughts exactly

19. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

I would jump the fence, run over, whisper in the dude's ear that life sucks when you are a stupid fuck.

Then I would steal his wallet and anything else in his pockets while making it look like I was trying to help him pull away.

20. Aequitas

:bowrofl:

21. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:rofl:

22. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

best idea yet

23. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Yeah, I would let him get what he deserved. I would have a lot harder time on my conscience dealing with killing a bear than letting a dumbass get rewarded for his stupidity.

And that really sucks that the bear had to die because some dumbass wanted him to play. (the bear prolly thought they were having a good time!)

24. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

:bowrofl: