What would you do in my position???

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by curiousgeorgeM3, Aug 12, 2003.

1. curiousgeorgeM3

curiousgeorgeM3 naughty little monkey

My car just rolled up on 56K miles. I am no longer in warranty as far as services are concerned but my engine and tranny are still covered until 100K miles. I recently had a computer glitch that would have been covered under the past warranty but since it was expired I had to pay $140 for two hours of work and they didn't even find anything wrong. I am seriously considering trading or selling my car for a 2002 or 2003 M3 with less miles (under 15K). Pros: I would have newer car with less miles and possibly SMG and/or nav. I will transfer most of my mods over to the new car (maybe;) ). My car also burns oil like crazy, probably due to poor break in by the previous owner. Getting a newer car would hopefully rid me of that. Cons: I'll probably lose money in the end but I really don't care. I may be going into business for myself soon and am going to figure a way to write off my car anyway, which I pretty much do now.

Anywayz, does anyone have any intelligent suggestions? thanks. :bigthumb:

2. someguy

someguy WWMD?

If you don't care, then trade up...

3. Chris87

Chris87 flatoutperformance.com

Trade it up. You seem like you can afford it.

4. pLaYIstIcPimP

pLaYIstIcPimP New Member

I think i would trade up for sure. Eventhough you think that you will be paying a little bit more, with burning oil and poor break in, you really never know what is going to happen down the road. Since you can write it off for taxes in the future, i would for sure do that. But trade up is my suggestion, i think it will be better in the long run. Make sure to get a car that has been taken care of though.

5. wnut

wnut Guest

i concour. that little more you spend might save you from a big repair bill down the road. you could always sell it as is and start the modding process all over again. imo u should look for a used M5 or Mcoupe.

6. curiousgeorgeM3

Agreed but I will not trade up unless my payments stay at my current level so it should make little difference.

7. curiousgeorgeM3

:rolleyes: Anywayz this is not a duscussion on my business plans. If I didn't think I could pull this off then I wouldn't be considering it. Trust me, it will be very easy to find a used 02 or 03 and keep my payments at their current levels. Etiher way, I was not planning to sell mt current car once I open the business so as long as the payments stay the same it shouldn't matter what car I am driving right? Capice?

8. wyu

wyu supercalafragalistic expialidocious

Do it!!!!! then give me a test drive!! :x:

9. curiousgeorgeM3

No test drives for haters :fawk: ;)

10. Omied2k

Omied2k Guest

come to me, i'll hook u up with an '02 or '03 m3 with less than 15k miles.

11. Redline Racer

Redline Racer Subaru Tecnica International

What about a CSL?

In fact is BMW going to sell the CSL in the USA?

12. curiousgeorgeM3

Details please...

13. Omied2k

Omied2k Guest

right now the 2003 m3's are bringing more than book value, especially smg 2 models. Wait a couple months, it should die down, the market on the 2003's, since they just got released, even though you may find some dealership's who will sell the coupes w/o a markup, at the dealer auction's they are bringing far above msrp, even with say 5k miles on them.

Would a convertible '03 interest you?

14. Omied2k

Omied2k Guest

curiousgeorgem3, if you want me to find out some more shit, let me know asap by pm. I dunno how much you're paying right now, and how much you're payoff is, but let me know through pm when u get a chance
    -omied

15. curiousgeorgeM3

PM sent :bigthumb:

16. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

Thinking of trading already? And I thought you bought yours new!? :confused:

17. Redline Racer

Shame. Even though its barely any quicker than the standard M3 in a straight line, its performance is apparently so more extreme in terms of cornering grip, and the feeling that its trying to kill you :big grin:

18. curiousgeorgeM3

Bought it when it was 9 months old. I simply have put too many miles on it. It bugs me that I have nearly 60K miles on the thing.

19. curiousgeorgeM3

That's part of it. :rofl:

20. Redline Racer

I think BMW have found a problem with the CSL in that to improve its performance even slightly over the normal M3 they have had to go down the extreme route.

With the 3.2 straight six being apparently so on the edge in terms of tuning (one reason why the next M3 will have a V8), the use of carbon fibre and other weight saving such as having a radio and air-con as options was the only way to achieve greater performance. Inevitably that carbon roof isnt cheap, hence a price in the UK of £20'000 more than the standard M3.

As for Burnsie, I've never really liked him as a driver. Yes he wins championships, but if you look at his time a Peugeot in what has been until recently the best car by far, he's failed to win a rally. He maybe has more intelligence than the Solberg/McRae driver who'll push the car over the edge and hence lose championships.
    Coupled with that he's just signed for Subaru again, and he has a pair of Oakley Splice like me ( I got them first) :big grin:

21. stupid

stupid Guest

In April my dad dropped about $70,000 on a BMW M3 we had never even seen. We had no choice over options- we had to accept the options that were already on the car. Convertable, silver paint (yes it was extra $$$), HIDs, Harmon Kardon, Cold Weather, metal trim, 19's, and SMG. Of these we only wanted maybe 3 options. Dont expect to find one with the options you want. And if you choose to get a new one (like my dad), order it before it arives at the dealership and gets another $5,000- $10,000 mark up.

But it is damn worth the money.

22. daft punk

daft punk New Member

why not do something exciting like a C32?

23. nyuaznguy

nyuaznguy Member

I don't know what area you are in, but there is almost no dealers charging any markups on the M3 anymore. You can acutally get them 1K-2K off msrp now.

When I got mine last year (July 02) I paid MSRP and I got to order the specific one I wanted.

24. curiousgeorgeM3

Waiting for what??? You haven't even put an order in yet :fawk: You have been talking about this since late 2001 and I am about to own my second M3.

Funny, since I found several cars with all the options available, both new and used.

25. curiousgeorgeM3

:werd:

:rofl:....so true. MB = uninspired rolling couch.