WEB What would you do in a situation like this? Username dispute...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Vatoloco, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Vatoloco

Vatoloco In a pinch, though, you could jam it into someone'

I have a company on my site that advertisers with me and they had an employee who they say they started a forum account for. That employee quit and now the company wants the username back. They are saying he changed the e-mail address and password on the account before he quit.

I contacted the person with the account and, although he did use to help sell stuff from the company, he claims he started the username and not the company. He has used it for quite a few posts that were personal in nature and not related to business at all but the majority of posts are sales related and now he's basically using it to compete against the company he use to work for.

The actual username of the account in dispute is only loosely related to what the company sells but is not the companies name.

So who do I piss off here? Do I keep my advertiser happy and take the name away from the guy or do I alienate my advertiser and just let him keep it?

2. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

:dunno: i wouldnt let either of them have it.

3. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

I am not sure. I have people ask me all the time to change their name to not reflect the company they recently left.

If the name was a trademark or a product name of the company I would probably give it to the company.

If it was just a name without meaning, I would let the person keep it.

4. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

If it's not the company's name or directly related to them, then they don't really have any right to claim it.. ?

It's an interesting situation though. Would hate to be you right now! I'd probably just tell them to sort it out amongst themselves and temporarily lock the account "pending mutual agreement"..

5. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

6. eskarinna

eskarinna New Member

depends on the confidentiality agreement they have. In my company i had to sign a 3page document explaining how everything i do at my job or at home that is related in anyway to my duties and job description is property to my company. That includes code i write, discoveries, contacts i make, licenses i obtain that the company paid for etc. Further more any user accounts, emails, and subscriptions are noted that needs to be revoked when my contract is ended. If the company you speak of did not have an agreement like that then they have no legal reason to ask for this. if they did however you can ask them to fax it to you and once you make sure it was properly signed and dated, read through and see if anything like that is mentioned

7. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

it comes down to money. how much are they paying to advertise? and its not worth it to lose an advertise over osmething like that. Close the account and tell the guy he has to make a new one plain and simple.

8. adi

adi oh brahhh

If the username was first created for the company, then the guy quit and is now using it for personal use, then clearly the company should get the account/username.

9. Vatoloco

Vatoloco In a pinch, though, you could jam it into someone'

The name isn't the company name or trademarked but it does have a loose connection to what the company does. Say the company was FireFold or Monoprice... the user name in question is something like "Cable Guy".

That is the thing.... I don't know which way it is because both stories are different.

I'm kind of leaning towards the "don't let either of them have it" suggestions.

10. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

isnt it standard with companies that whatever u create in the duration that you work for that company, is owned by that company? :dunno: im no lawyer, i have no idea if that applies in this case

11. HYBR|D

HYBR|D Beep Beeeeee'p

In my opinion, you will loose with witch ever side you take. If you give it to the company, then you may loose a member, and he may be able to influence other members to leave the website to.

But if you let the person who's been using it keep it, then you would loose a Advertiser and an amount of money.

So with this case personally i would just close the account, tell the advertiser that this is the only fair option, And tell the user that he is more then welcome to start another account, then you just need to "merge" all the relevant posts minus the post's/ Threads to the new user's account, and the other post's/threads that were related to the company, can either be purged or left with the closed account..

You get to keep the Advertiser, and the user cannot complain about loosing personal posts.

12. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

I would suggest you do nothing unless (1) they have violated your terms of service or (2) you have been served with a court order. This is a member dispute between them, and you have nothing to do with it.

Now if they are a big advertiser, and you are making more money off of the company, then protect your financial interests.

Sounds like to me they have a non-compete violation, and they should take the employee to court. This really has nothing to do with you.