MIL What would you do if you saw this happen?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ranger-AO, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Hypothetical situation:

You are standing with the rest of your Platoon at a remote COP, getting a frago from your PSG about some changes to the high profile mission you're in the middle of. It's around midnight, and you're in the middle of a sandstorm. Visibility is pretty much zero. One of your Team Leaders is taking notes and updating his map. One of his soldiers (SPC Dumbass) reaches around theTeam Leader and takes a folding knife off of his armor. The Team Leader can't see what was taken, but knows something was removed, and he tells SPC Dumbass to stop fucking around. You hear/see the following:

TL: What did you take?
    SPC: Your knife, SGT.
    TL: Give it to me.
    SPC: Here it is.
    TL can't see much more than a shadow, and reaches toward what he thinks is his knife.
    TL: FUCK! DAMNIT. Get Doc over here.

Dumbass had unfolded the knife and was holding it by the handle. When his Team Leader reached out to take the knife, what he grabbed was the blade. He received a laceration to the inside (web area) of his thumb, severing the nerve and cutting through part of the bone. He will miss at least 7 days of missions - including the series of high profile missions that he has been planning/rehearsing for the past month. He will also most likely never regain full use of his thumb, and will have feeling on only the outside edge.

If you were in a leadership position in this Platoon, what would you do? :hsughno:

2. burton564

burton564 New Member

today's army...he'll get a slap on the wrist, and say it was an accident. old army...blanket party fun

3. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

SPC may as well have assaulted the NCO given the circumstances. Court marshall his ass. I would pick apart every step of the incident to take full advantage of his epic mistake.

4. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

thats a criminal offense in my book

5. dura

dura Guest

front back go

and then paperwork.

6. EYOB

EYOB Guest

What was his intention for taking the knife, using it for something or just plain stealing? Was his intention to have the Sgt slice his hand? What is the mental attitude of the SPC, does he usually get into trouble/mischief? What about the Sgt mental level, calm or hyper? Could this be construed as friendly fire and written off as an accident?

It's hard to tell with low visibility. I'd say the SPC could/should be charged with negligence, at least.
    I don't know about theft/assault.

7. Ranger-AO

He was fucking around. Goofing off. Thinking "this will be funny".

He has gotten in trouble for a couple of things, but nothing malicious or even intentional. He left his weapon in the mission prep area (accessible to anyone that is on the FOB) once. But generally he's a good soldier who is motivated and an asset to every mission he has been on. This was in my opinion another example of his lack of judgment.

SGT is regarded by everyone that knows him as very calm, very approachable, willing to discuss rather than berate. I don't think he possesses the "Army leadership style", but I believe that he is a good NCO. His soldiers respect him and his team is mission-focused.

Good questions

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  8. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

shit happens. first off, you don't take something like that from someone without asking.

second, you NEVER EVER FUCKING GRAB A KNIFE AND SNATCH IT AWAY.

this is honestly the team leaders fault for getting his shit slashed. he shares an equal amount of blame for being a retard.

9. Ranger-AO

I was there - he didn't "snatch it away". Not sure if I mentioned this before, but it was a folding knife. I don't think he had any reason to believe that the knife would be open and that the blade would be what he found when reached out to grasp it. :hsugh:

And you might have missed this part of the dialog above:
    TL: Give it to me.
    SPC: Here it is.​

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  10. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

to bad they don't have the lions at the palace anymore....that spc would make an excellent appetizer.

11. Rambro

Rambro New Member

was the knife that sharp, or did the tl just grab the shit out of it when it was handed to him?

12. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

then the SPC cut him on purpose.

there is no knife out there that is going to slice through bone on a gentle grab and tug.

13. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

sounds like the platoon needs to teach him a lesson

14. kawasakizx6rrrr

kawasakizx6rrrr New Member

get inside during the sandstorm!! hahaha

15. Ranger-AO

Benchmade ftw/ftl

16. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

17. Ranger-AO

Right. Hold an open Benchmade in one hand and then grasp and pull it out of your hand with your other hand. When you get back from the hospital, ask somebody that has their fingers still intact to type up what happened so we can all enjoy the story.

After the shots numbed it up, I helped pull the edges of the wound apart while doc irrigated it with IV fluid. I could clearly see a groove cut into the bone.

And now that I have some unbiased input (thanks, everyone): It was my knife and my hand. If I had known that the fucking blade was open, I obviously would not have reached for it like I did or grasped it like I did. It was one fluid motion where I reached/grasped/pulled and instead of holding my folded knife in my hand I came away with a shitload of pain, blood, and anger. It all happened in a second.

I don't think for a moment that SPC Dumbass intended for me to get cut. I think it's an example of his lack of common sense and judgement. I made this thread because I have no idea what to do about it. I'm probably just going to dump it on my Squad Leader's or Platoon SGT's lap and tell them that I'm too damn close to this to make a rational decision.

18. dura

dura Guest

Good call, but you should basically hook him up with some power jumps before passing it on up.

19. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

All said and done, I think both parties made mistakes. Obviously if your soldier wasn't an idiot, it never would have happened. But then again, if you had remembered what you were reaching for, it wouldn't have happened either.

Guy probably feels bad enough as it is. Counsel him, written reprimand, and get over it. No need to take his money or rank in order to get a little revenge.

20. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

:eek: you used us!

21. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Anyone with half a brain knew it was him. :hsugh:

lol - I had a suspicion that's why I didn't say shit :o

22. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

I dont think in any way your at fault, I learned when I was like 5 that you never pass an open knife that kid needs to learn a lesson, a record of that wreckless action needs to be made and put in this PIF at the very least

23. willijdub

willijdub New Member

I had surgery to reattach my tendon in my little finger because of some dumbass jacking around with a knife. Smoke the shit out of him and give him extra duty. make him clean everyones knives and sharpen them, and a counceling statement.

24. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

and have him conduct safety training for a while....

25. dura

dura Guest

Upload a vid of said smoking as well.