A&P what would you choose (v. group equip choices)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by kronik85, Apr 3, 2007.

1. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

the yearbook at my college is spending the rest of their equipment budget this next week and looking for proposals/requests from the photographers (about 4 or 5 of us mostly). our subjects are architecture, portraits, sports, lowlight concert like situations.

everyones current equipment:

everyone has a rebel XT or Xti
    ~512mb-1gig memory on average
    kit lens (18-55, 3.5-5.6)
    most people have a cheapo canon 75-300mm zoom

we have about $1250 to spend at the moment.

my thoughts so far

3 or 4 canon 50mm 1.8 primes ($190-250)
    2 or 3 ext flash units (no idea what to get/want here)
    6 or 7 2gig cards ($150-175)
    3 or 4 tamron 28-80 3.5 ($400?)

my main desire is a low light lens cause alot of our events are covered under that, the canon prime would also be nice for portraits. after that i know we need some flash units, and the current distribution of memory is ridiculous. lastly a decent walk around zoom lens would be nice.

cliffs : read the bolds

2. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

it really depends. For the yearbook, the kit lens should be fine for most general shots and the best way to increase its potential is to get a flash...the 430ex is probably the best choice. This will require some learning, but I think most people can pick it up quickly. The primes are a good idea, and if your photographers can be careful with equipment, the 1.8 will be fine (and a great deal). For the longer walk around lens, the 28-80 tamron doesn't give you much more telephoto and the quality is going to be severely lacking. I would suggest maybe 1 or 2 canon 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 lenses as they will be a huge step up without a completely breaking the bank ($230). Any money left over, buy memory cards.

I would personally get the widest variety of equipment rather than getting many of the same pieces.

3. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

The 50mm will do you for the concert situations pretty well, and a cheap 70-300 will do most of your ourdoor sports stuff. If you guys are going to be shooting stuff like indoor basketball, I'd spend a fair portion of that money on a couple flashes and some pocketwizards. The flashes will also make your portraits alot better if you get around to learning how to use them.

4. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

yes, but not everyone shares :hs: so i figured getting a couple duplicates wouldn't be such a bad idea. personally the only thing i really care about are the 50mm primes right now. i will look into flashes more. thanks for the suggestion on the 28-105

noted about the pocketwizards and flashes godfather. any other advice or suggestions?

i personally think we should add "shooting for dummies, digital photographer's guide to using your camera". majority of them don't know how to do anything themselves and just love the green box. :hs:

5. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I think flashes is something you should have. the primes would probably do good too.

6. Cobber

Cobber Wanna touch my bunny hole?

50mm is not a portrait lens

7. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

thank you for the insight, i will refrain from ever taking a portrait with it :rolleyes:

maybe be a bit helpful?

edit : after a lil more research i see what you're saying as far as the 50mm vs good zoom glass, sadly we dont have $400+ to blow on a single zoom 2.8. therefore 50mm 1.8 becomes our portrait lens and we'll just deal with it. i take back my eye roll smily and say thank you, but i still stand by it taking portraits.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  8. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

50mm lenses can definitely be considered portrait lenses. Especially so in their 1.4 form, but also in the 1.8 when on a budget. Something a little longer like an 85mm lens gives you a little more of a distance from your subject, but if you don't mind being close it's not bad.