what would you build?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Jesse_Boyer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Jesse_Boyer

Jesse_Boyer New Member

I'm curious...

I expect a deposit on my '99 TT FRC C5 today. It was a fun car to build, but I simply get bored and want a change. So, i'm looking at other options. I've built turbo f-body's, TT C5's, direct-port C5's, and I'm thinking of building a Supra next. Love the looks, phenominal engineering, and unbeatable ability to hold their value.

If it were you, what would you build next?

PS: i'll compare the consensus of this thread with the american muscle sub-forum as well :wavey:

2. neotango

neotango New Member

How about an NSX? Supra's are amazing, but somewhat played out--trying to find a stock and/or original owner Supra these days is impossible. NSX pro's: styling, handling, lighter than Supra, daily driver friendly (ergonomic), exclusive, honda reliability, acceleration times are fast even though engine is underpowered, holds value reasonably well, often can be found as babied cars. NSX con's: cost, N/A V6 with virtually no room for street tuning short of a S/C.

If the NSX route is too expensive, then how about taking your Chevy experience in to an RX-7. Swap an LS1 in to a FD3S. A lot of people won't agree with it around here since people tend think a V8 is much heavier than a 13B even though it is not *that* much heavier (IIRC, an LT1 is only 75lbs heavier than a 13B with turbo, thus a LS1 can not be much more lbs). They forget that V8's are almost all aluminum these days... RX-7 Pros: light (less than NSX even), handling, many people out there who have already done V8 swaps. RX-7 Cons: SMALL cockpit/car, styling perhaps not as masculine as Supra/NSX, more work to do V8 swap, if you stick to the stock engine (13B) and still plan to build your own car it will require lots of new learning, not as exclusive, doesn't hold value that well.

Just throwing out some ideas... Sad to see your C5 go though, sounds like it must have been a really fun car. FRC + TT = Perfect C5! :wtc:

3. Jesse_Boyer

Jesse_Boyer New Member

The FRC was definitely a badass build. I actually have all the parts at home to make a reliable 550rwhp on 91octane... and still pull stock mileage.

Good thinking with the NSX! That could be a great deal of fun for a while AND they do hold their value nicely.

You're right on the LS1/FD3. The LS1/T56 combo weighs aprox. 60lbs more than the rotory setup it replaces. Honestly, the LS1/FD's I've seen actually had BETTER weight distribution than factory 13b's. Plus, it introduces a new characteristic to the '7 that the designers had no idea existed; torque :rofl:.

4. GRiP_DRiVER

GRiP_DRiVER New Member

I'm going to say NSX. That would just be so much cooler. I love Supra's. But they are everywhere. Other then The NSX is was going to say FD. Until you said V8. That would be sick. So fast. More reliable. Have you thought about Importing a car. S15 Silvia or a Skyline GTR. That would be really cool. Since you seem to like Domestic. Maybe a factoryfive GTM. Those are ok... Well they are bad ass... But I like my Imports.

5. psyphre

psyphre User #58, OG ftw. XBL/IG - davzilla77

R32 GT-R ftw.

6. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

LS1 FD lc

7. DSMTuning

DSMTuning New Member

www.factorximports.com call this guy... legal r33 skylines... he has a couple right now and they are legal with tags and all... i think he has an r33 gtr and a few gtst's right now and a silvia s15 coming soon the guy is local to me and i can vouch for him the cars are pretty clean

8. psyphre

psyphre User #58, OG ftw. XBL/IG - davzilla77

r33 = heavy bitch, not ftw.

9. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

I would build a Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3 16V as a base

it's not eastern though

IMO you should build something different, not a corvette/viper/stang/Supra or those that everyone has already built like maniacs.

it's way more challenging than putting bolt on parts and doing internals work.

10. Eclipsed830

Eclipsed830 Active Member

11. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE imports.....but you've got the hard-hitters under your belt and will be disappointed easily.

Yes, the Supra is a beautifully engineered car, looks amazing, handles great, accelerates great, etc. But they are ridiculously priced nowadays.

If you want something similar in sex appeal, but still has some balls to boot, consider throwing an LS1 in an FD body. Torquey RX7 FTW.

Or, if you want an extremely fun car that's more sleeperish, but doesn't look as sexy, try a Monster Miata: 5.0 in a gokart-sized car!

12. Jesse_Boyer

Jesse_Boyer New Member

I thought about doing a DSM for my daily driver... so that's officially on the table when the time comes.

However, I've decided to keep the TT FRC, tune it for 10psi, and go for 600rwhp on pump 91 and Meth. That's the ONLY thing that looks PERFECT to me (body wise), handles great, sick power, and 32+mpg highway. I can't find a single platform that can do so much, for so little ("so little" is a relative phrase in this case)

However, an '06 GSXR 750 has taken the place of my toy for the time being. Currently looking into a 50hp shot :wavey:

13. Perfect Speed

Perfect Speed OT Supporter

LS1 RX7 would be a nice candidate.
    Also an NSX however they're a trifle expensive (even used) for what you get to start with.
    Supras are indeed nice. 30k will get you a clean BPU+ one.
    You could buy a 350Z as well. I got my Track edition (factory brembos, RAYS wheels etc) for 23k OTD (stickered for 36k brand new) with 19k miles on it. I've owned quite a few vehicles as well and I REALLY enjoy mine.
    I'd recommend one to anyone who likes Japanese styling, RWD and the ability for boost.
    Just my 2 cents ... Sounds like whatever you build will be bad ass.

14. TopLap

TopLap Full of Fail and AIDS: UGA Football

^brushes back mullet* DANNNNNNGGGGG!!!!

id just put more worthless mods into my AW11. maybe actually make it look nice