WEB What would make you not register on my site?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by carlo2343, Feb 2, 2009.

1. carlo2343

carlo2343 New Member

www.anyluckyday.com

I need feedback. Why would you not register on my site and make a comment on the blog post to win something? I am trying to figure out why people wouldn't do this so I can change the site or add in help features to encourage people to register.

2. 07

07 18-1

1 - i HATE sites that have that stupid newsletter shit.

2 - I expected to see a shit website, yours is not, good job.

3 - I always look at traffic first, why and where are they getting to your site. Is it targeted or bullshit junk traffic.

4 - It seems to me that your site would be more of a word of mouth, viral site. Get on Facebook, Myspace, etc.

5 - Your gifts on the first post probably don't interest 99% of the people. I thought they were pretty crappy....

3. carlo2343

carlo2343 New Member

Thanks for the response man. The newsletters are strictly for alerting members of the new item posts, thats it. Also, my traffic is from google and freebie sites where people are trying to get free stuff. My site is on facebook and twitter so far, working on getting it more viral. And finally, we are starting out with smaller gifts just because we can't be giving away large things while we still have a small userbase. The bigger the userbase gets, the bigger the prizes get.

4. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

I wouldnt because I tried to open in IE7 and it killed my browser.

5. Shampoo

Shampoo Rinse & Repost

If I could get the site to load, I would tell you.

6. carlo2343

carlo2343 New Member

What do you mean it killed your browser? I can open it fine in ie7.

7. carlo2343

carlo2343 New Member

Loads fine on my end?

8. Browning

Browning Active Member

Loads fine here in both IE7 and FF3.

1. Get rid of the popup newsletter shit, I would have closed the tab right then and there usually. Move it to the sidebar under search or something.

2. Put the rss and twitter stuff down lower in the sidebar. Or get many more readers.

3. Remove the text Sponsors:

Love the logo/header by the way:coold:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  9. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

get rid of the pop up newsletter

and alot people don't like joining unless they see something they want

like someone else said this prize has no interest so there is no reason for me to join right away

10. carlo2343

carlo2343 New Member

I'm 50/50 on the newsletter stuff. I have gotten a ton of signups for it, but yet you guys don't like it. From a marketing standpoint it is a strong tool for me to help promote my site.

11. carlo2343

carlo2343 New Member

Logo was designed by www.designfxpro.com these guys rock

12. Pepsi1975

you can keep it, but get rid of the fucking pop up when you go to the site

13. DnA02

DnA02 Hey, how YOU doin?! OT Supporter

i say get rid of the popup as well. if i was a new visitor, why would i sign up to your website before being able to look and see if its any interest to me?

better prizes, find out whats hot and give those out. i.e. ipods

oh and on first glance if i didnt read this thread, i wouldnt know what your website is about right away...people are lazy to read a lot so try adding a subtitle saying something like "A Contest Website" "Your Lucky Day to Win Stuff" etc..

14. carlo2343

carlo2343 New Member

Like I said, newsletter is strong tactic to keeping people. If its stuck over on the right side bar, people may miss it and I would probably get alot less signups. I think I am going to keep it for a few weeks just to build up a mailing list, then move it to the sidebar. Besides, it is only set to showup 1 time only ever per person.

15. DnA02

DnA02 Hey, how YOU doin?! OT Supporter

Try doing a delayed popup :dunno:

16. jizzmo

jizzmo New Member

I don't like the popup, there's a reason why all major browsers come with a pop-up blocker.

17. eof

eof New Member

If you can't offer anything big everyday run a longer term thing that is cool on top of your more frequent daily contests.

Like do a really fucking cool monthly thing + keep up your current ipod locks and gay shit like that.

Edit: Oh and like everyone else said kill the popup. It makes me feel like I am going to get a fuckload of junkmail. :hs:

18. carlo2343

carlo2343 New Member

ipod lock is just a small item to keep the daily contests running until we acquire larger sponsors...this week we will have a jewelry sponsor, tshirt sponsors, ipod shuffle sponsor, and more.

19. carlo2343

carlo2343 New Member

I will edit the popup so it is delayed to 10 seconds, that way if people don't immediately x out of my site, maybe they will be inclined to signup if they are viewing for more than 10 seconds.

20. Pepsi1975

it is still annoying and turns a lot of people away

and take a look around a lot of sites offer newsletters and what not and don't bother with the pop up and do fine

you don't know until you try, but pop ups and shit like that does turn people away

21. Pepsi1975

10 seconds is not really that long, especially if someone is on dialup or something a little slower

22. carlo2343

carlo2343 New Member

true i know what you mean..i tried a sidebar subscriber list the first 2 weeks and got like 2-5 signups.....now I'm up to over 40+ with this thing. I am going to change the time setting and the text on it a bit to be more user friendly. After a while and a good amount of signups, I will kick it to the sidebar.

23. carlo2343

carlo2343 New Member

maybe 20 seconds...with some text like "I see you are sticking around on the site..if you want to receive updates whenever we list a new contest, subscribe here" blah blah

24. eof

eof New Member

So throw in like $800 of your own money and offer a computer for the month of Feb on top of the other stuff.

$800 might not be the right number but the point is an early investment on a big price item instead of just shity t-shirts and fake jewelry would go a long way to making the site seem creditable and would get people pumped and visiting more often.

Also figure out how to make contest entry/tracking more visible instead of relying on comments to your posts. Like have a contests link and for each contest have a separate page and allow the user to see if they have been entered or not and when the draw is happening.

You need something more usable than just plain vanilla wordpress.

25. eof

eof New Member

That is even worse...I rage when I am reading and my browser does something on its own.