What would cause my computer to freeze for no reason?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IDAFC21, Apr 24, 2003.

1. IDAFC21

IDAFC21 New Member

recently the hard drive on my computer crapped out on me, and nothing was recoverable off of it, so i basically started from scratch. bought a new hard drive, installed XP pro (was running ME on the old one, no comments please :squint: ) installed all the goodies and what not, and am slowly getting my computer back to a respectable level again, except for one problem. It freezes up for no apparent reason at times and i dont know why. I know its not because programs are overloading it cuz somtimes i can be doing nothing and it'll still freeze. plus ive ran plenty of "large" programs at once and still had plenty of ram to spare and nothings happened. I know its not because its overheating or anything, my processor stays at constant 42-44 degrees celcius when im just messin around online and crap, and thats a good level isnt it? (amd athlon 1000mhz) What could be causing my computer to just freeze up outta nowhere? Somtimes it'll do it a few minutes after i turn on the computer, other times i can run it for hours w/ out any problems. I just dont understand since theres no real consistency as when it freezes up.

2. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

If you go into Administrative Tools --> Event Viewer are there any Application or System messages that are logged when it freezes?

3. IDAFC21

IDAFC21 New Member

hmm...this is interesting. I didnt even know about that event viewer thing. I think i found what its logging cuz theres a block of 4 error messages that appear in a row and they look like they happen around the times my computers been freezing, they go in order as follows:

AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0x71), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO port address (0x70), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0xcfc), which lies in the 0xcf8 - 0xcff protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO port address (0xcf8), which lies in the 0xcf8 - 0xcff protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

Now, whatever the hell that means is beyond me, but whatever it is, seems to be whatevers causing my system to freeze.

4. IDAFC21

IDAFC21 New Member

ok...it definently it related to computer freezing, because it just happened again, and that block of error message appeared again, but thats not exactly when it freezes, theres a couple other information messages that come after it that i think might be related to it, and after those i think THEN it freezes. those other messages are:

The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( Sentinel ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: .

The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( Sentinel ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: .

hmm, i guess those are actually the same, but they come 2 in a row

5. IDAFC21

IDAFC21 New Member

any of that mean anything to anyone?

6. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

dude same thing was happening to me with XP pro i had an AMD 1.2 and an athlon kt7. my computer would just freeze for no reason never tried the error log like you did but I would really like to know what could fix this problem. Anyone help?

7. IDAFC21

IDAFC21 New Member

well...we're back to square one here. turns out those error messages pop up when i START my computer, not when it freezes...so i dont know now. theres nothing else logged that would indicate the cause of the computer freezing

8. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

I'm running redhat 8 right now and I havent had that problem my computers only froze about twice in 2 weeks from video errors though not just a frozen screen :(

9. CrazyMook

CrazyMook OT Supporter

FIRST, maybe you should dump that 30 pound paperweight and buy a new computer. OR at least buy the parts yourself and put it all together... but... then again, that would require a job that actually gave hours to their employees. :slap: Secondly, I would take off any pictures of any chrysler sebrings on the hard drive, for that might be causing it to crash and/or run slower. If your computer takes longer then 17 seconds to run the 1/4 mile, then you know its gotta be the sebring pics. I would personally invest in a NAWS kit for your computer, either that or a test pipe. :greddy:

Again, these are just theories, so I appologize if none of my suggestions actually help your POS computer work. :rofl:

Love,
    Illinois (bob)

10. IDAFC21

IDAFC21 New Member

You're now dead to me Dave. That is all.

11. Coco Monkey

Coco Monkey OT Supporter

:wavey:

12. IDAFC21

IDAFC21 New Member

I hate you milkman Dave :fawk: