What would be my best bet for career v.computernerd

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 95vr4, May 10, 2006.

1. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

I'm 21 and went to community college for a year and a half and then started working full time. I've pretty much made up my mind I want to do computer programming for a living, which is what I do now. I developed, integrated and maintain an asp/mysql e-commerce site for the company I work for (doing a couple million a year in web sales). Integrated it into our pos and ups software's db4 databases linking them to the web servers databases and writing queries in access. I'm to the point now where I need to make a decision on what to do. I've self taught myself everything I need to know, I honestly think Google's better than any college class if you know what to look for. Unfortunately google doesn't give out degree's. Would it be worth it for me to go back to college? Are certifications a good alternative (MS, mysql, oracle?)? Or should I start looking for a job now? (my current employer doesn't quite understand the difference between what I'm doing and the average kid that knows a little html...can't see getting much more than $12/hr)

Just wanted to get some opinions from people in this field. Thanx for reading, and any advice :wavey:

2. samm

samm Next in Line

go back to school and get a 4-year degree.

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

If you can do it, go back and get a 4 year Computer Science degree. You'll learn the fundamentals that will pay you back for the rest of your career. I never took a class in CS, and I pay for it sometimes. Over the years, I've had to get CS textbooks and read them to catch up on something fundamental that I would have gotten in college and it starts to feel like two steps forward, two steps back. For example, in order to understand how Eclipse works internally, I had to read a book on Design Patterns first. Without that book, none of it made sense. I would have read that book in college, had I gone for CS. If you can avoid this, then you should. Take the time in college to work on projects that interest you and you will emerge one hell of an engineer. It will be time well spent.

4. jwynn

jwynn Yeah I Know I Dont Have Enough Posts

Ditto both of the above comments.

I am a senior in Fall for computer science and a Bachelors Degree will be invaluable for you. Plus with your experience some of the courses will be easier. Hell even try to get in on some under-grad research. You'd be suprised at the number of doors that will open going to a 4 year university full time: ACM clubs, Hacking clubs, networking with professors and students, etc..

One of the older guys in one of my classes knows more then I do about computers and he was fired first from his company because he didnt have a Bachelors degree. Even though he probably knew more then most of the new hires, being there for 15 years and all.