What would be louder?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GlocksRock, Jul 1, 2003.

1. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

2 JL Audio 12W3d4's, or 1 15W3d2? Assuming the same power. I have an MTX 2300 bridged on my 2 JL 12's right now, but I am considering selling them to my friend and getting 1 15W3. I used to have a pair of 15W1's, but they were stolen. I don't have the money or room for two 15's, but I love the way they sound, my car is a 2002 Honda Civic EX. Unfortunately they aren't in a hatch like my previous cars, so what size sealed box would be best for this application?

2. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

what does that amplifier put out? what type of enclosures are we looking at here?

3. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

The 2300 puts out around 750 watts rms bridged, maybe more, I would use a sealed enclosure. I would probably have to have a box built for me, but that is fine, because I want it to be the right size, and it must fit in my car, the opening isn't very large, so it may have to be more wide than deep.

4. Phreaxer

Phreaxer Guest

assuming the same power, box design, etc... the 2 12s will be louder.

5. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Why would the 12's be louder? Because there are two of them? The 15 has a longer excursion and is going to be louder overall, especially with that much power on a sub that is rated (conservatively) for 400 watts.

6. hitmikey

hitmikey DRIVEN FROM WITHIN

um...fuck JL

7. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

ok, but that still doesn't tell me what is louder. Keep your biases to yourself.

8. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

its all about moving air two 12s have much more cone area than 1 15 even with its added stroke and depending on the effecinciy of yoru driver one 12 can be loudere than 1 15 if you dont have teh power to move it

9. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

um...fuck yourself. :slap:

10. surfzup2k

surfzup2k Guest

with that power, the 15w3 would be pretty loud. If i had to bet my money, i would say it would be easier to make the 12's be louder and sound better. I have owned both 12w3's and 15w3's (3 sets of 15s actually) the gay tensile design screwed the first pair, the second pair got stolen, and the last pair got sold to buy a 12w7 which is louder and sounds better IMO. However, when i had my 2 15s on a RF BD 1500 @ 1 ohm (not daily driven like that, i used a JL 1000/1 for daily driving) i hit a 149.XX on a b&k with a ported box tuned to ~45hz with around 3 cu ft per sub.