What wireless router should I get

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by djshotglass, Mar 26, 2010.

1. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

I know some of the linksys ones have some cool modded firmware you can put on them. I don't want anything too expensive. Needs to have wired ports too. Wireless G is a must. N would be nice but I don't have any N equipment yet. I will be using it at home. My current linksys wired router drops out when I download torrents.

2. Chris

Chris New Member

what model linksys do you have? You might be able to use one of those third party firmwares without needing to buy a new router. Often changing the firmware will vastly improve the stability of the router. My router was garbage with the stock firmware, but I installed DD-WRT and havent looked back since.

Look here http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database and see if your current router is compatible.

3. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

it's not compatible since it's a wired router

I read it's a hardware issue with these BEFSR41 routers.

4. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I would recomend an N router even if you don't have any N devices. You have to start somewhere and once you have N set up there is no going back.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Don't get a wireless router. Get a wired router and a wireless access point to plug into it. The combo units always overheat and burn out in a couple of years, unless you get lucky and you buy the best unit of the batch.

I like the Netgear ProSafe wireless access points; I've had one sitting on top of a poorly-ventilated server rack for over two years and it hasn't hiccuped once. They cost about $100, but you only have to buy it once, unlike the cheap ones.

6. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i have an extra netgear N router and 2 linksys G routers that have ddwrt on them

what do i do with old B routers? i have 3 of them :rofl:

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Crank their signal gain all the way up and set them to channels 1, 6, and 11 so nobody in the vicinity can get a stable signal from their access points?