What will i lose if i downgrade to a macbook?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hellsspawn, Mar 15, 2008.

1. hellsspawn

hellsspawn New Member

so im thinking of downgrading to a blackbook.... right now i have a 2.16 core duo MBP... my main reason for the change is that i want 802.11n networking... i used to play games on my mbp (256mb graphics) but i havent done that in more than 9 months, and if i want to again, ill get an xbox... ive never managed to use this thing to its max... i mainly do web, torrents, and msn, some word/powerpoint or pages/keynote, and very occasionally iweb and i movie, but thats about it... i also like the idea of the smaller size for portability, but ill definitely need a big harddrive (otherwise i would want a macbook air)

i can get the blackbook for 1449 (student discount since the developer would end up costing $50 more)

or i can get a base MBP for 1779 ( developer discount including cost of developer membership)

so i need to know what to do here, im stumped...

2. hellsspawn

hellsspawn New Member

i also think that the multi touch might be kinda cool on the mbp... and i really like the backlit keyboard ( do macbooks even have that?)

3. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

The size difference isn't really that much and it's about 1/2 a pound lighter. I don't see much of a reason to move to a MacBook from your current machine given the things you've listed (if you needed the 64-bit chip I could see it but going to a MacBook from any of the MBPs seems like a downgrade to me).

No MacBooks don't have a backlit keyboard.

I'd stay with the current system for a bit at least til the next update if they bring out something really worth upgrading for. If anything, upgrade your hard drive and keep the current machine I would think.

4. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

some MacBooks and MBP already support multitouch. Go to google maps and do the pinch/unpinch and you'll see if you have it already.

5. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

6. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

what? :nono:

No MB's have multitouch and only the latest MBP revisions have it.

7. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

try it. I went to google maps and did the pinch/unpinch thing, and it worked :hsughno:

8. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

are you sure its not scroll up / down?

9. hellsspawn

hellsspawn New Member

well with that n fix posted above, i have no reason to upgrade now really.... maybe ill wait for an MBA update that has bigger harddrives before i bother to change then

10. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

it probable thinks you are using the scroll (which zooms by default in Google Maps) on the trackpad. I just tried it and it does in fact work.

11. hellsspawn

hellsspawn New Member

can anybody help me find an N card with a reasonable shipping price to canada?

12. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

That's probably what it is. It probably is the scroll thing. I just read about somewhere and thought i'd check it out without reading much more about it. :wiggle:

13. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

do not want. You ll mainly lose build quailty and go to a flimsy, paint peel, turd.

14. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-802-11n-Airport-Extreme-Card/IF185-038

Keep your macbook Pro and add the dam card. I did with my Macbook Core Duo and its worked flawlessly ever since.

and since you want a larger hard drive, just add it while your replacing the wireless card
    newegg has 250GB hard drive averaging 150 Bucks.

so your choice is spend 1500 to get Wireless N + Larger hard drive
    or
    250 bucks upgrading your current mac to Wireless N + Larger hard drive

P.S. while your buying from iFixit grab the spudger and Screw driver as well. both came in handy several times.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2008
  15. hellsspawn

hellsspawn New Member

holy donkey nuts.... ifixit wants $100 for the card and $62 to ship to canada ! thats BS

and i already have a 250gb HD, upgraded a few months ago

16. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

this is where I bought mine 7

http://powermax.com/parts/show/a-ma688z__b

i don't know if they ship to Canada though, but its the same model I have in mine.

17. hellsspawn

hellsspawn New Member

awesome! got mine for $70 shipped!

18. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

make sure that you follow the instructions from:

http://xlr8yourmac.com/systems/macbo...d_install.html
    &
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Core-Duo/85

also, if your using 10.4 open network utility and check to make sure that "N" is active. Select "Network Interface (en1)" to find out.

if your using Leopard, you're fine.

as for the upgrade itself, the only hard part was how tiny the connectors were on the airport card. I have good vision and I had hard time connecting the leads to the card itself. take your time, have all your tools handy. while your in there might was well grab a can of air and blast any dust and dirt away

19. hellsspawn

hellsspawn New Member

thanks for the advice, ive changed the wireless cards in macbook pros before (defective one in my dads, didnt have time to send it to apple) it wasnt fun,but atleast i know how to do it now...