what will an deep cycle car battery do for me?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mojo, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Mojo

Mojo New Member

im currently running all factory electrical equipment (70a alt) and did some engine bay grounding (neg to chassis, neg to transmission case, chassis to engine, neg to throttle body) and have the SUNS hyper voltage system as well. i will DIY the big-3 as soon my fuse holders/wires come in the mail.
    i run a little over 1000rms watts in my car and my lights dim, but not insanely. but to the point where you can notice it if im playing the stereo @ 80% volume. on the loud bass hits, my voltage drops down to 12v for split seconds and usually roams in the lower 13v.

i would like to know what will an deep cycle battery do for me in my situation? i was preferably looking at the optima yellow top. an HO alt runs $250 + labor while a nice brand new optima is available for $120 and i can install it myself.

i would like to reduce voltage drops, dimming, and put less strain on my overall vehicle. this vehicle is a daily driver and im not trying to compete or anything, just basically want to run a nice set-up safely and not worry about my car crapping out on me. i live in CA and weather here is usually warm but winter season is up and im expecting cold climate.

2. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

It might help with voltage dips slightly, but if you're overdrawing your factory alt now a battery is just a band aid.

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

if your alt cant keep up with the draw that gets put on the battery ur battery will drain to 0 if an extended amount of draw is placed upon the battery, how long it would take i do not know, just be careful if all you are upgrading is the battery.

4. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

If you're going to do it, then I would use a red top (the real one, not the cheap Auto Zone knockoff, no they are not the same) While the yellow tops are excellent batteries, they aren't really designed (just like any deep cycle) to sustain continuous charging. The red top is better suited for this. Not saying that a yellow won't work, but i think you'll have better results and longer life using the red top. BTW, what kind of car are you doing this in?

5. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

in my last sound car i used the interstate red top, because they are usually cheaper than the optima brand name... and they are the same battery, with just a different sticker.

6. Mojo

Mojo New Member

its going to go in an 2003 honda civic.
    i can post the battery CCA and other features but i dont have that currently with me.

does the redtop offer great features for audio like the yellow top while still being a great starter battery?

7. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

interstate makes optima. and if you bought the battery and it has the side terminals on the edge of the battery instead of in the middle, no they are not the same.

8. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

yeah, the red top was the original sealed spiral cell battery. but since it's going in a honda, you might want to get the yellow top that is designed for the hondas. its half the physical size of regular yellow tops

9. DaddyThirdLeg

DaddyThirdLeg SMASH puny humans

yellow tops are meant to power your system while the car is off, like they said a redtop is a better battery for while the car is running but it won't help much, when a car is on the battery is a filter not a power source

10. Zylo

Zylo big time. hard line. bad luck.

I hear horror stories about redtops, but haven't personally used one, so I have no thoughts of my own on that.

But if you accidently run your battery dead, the deep cycle will not take as large of a hit in reduction of charge capacity, but I warn you.. it isn't immune to it, it will eventually die if you keep discharging it.

Kinda random, I know, I just thought I throw this post in.

11. twistid

when i bought it there was an optima and a interstate redtop side by side on the self, only difference was the label and $20 in price.

12. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

:dunno: then. i guess they want to use the optima as premium and interstate as midgrade. funny since interstate makes optima

13. 94cc0rd

94cc0rd New Member

if it's ur lights that are dimming, try a cap. it keeps the voltage where it should be, so when those bass hits hard, the cap keeps ur elec system's voltage at 14v.

yea yea, everyone calls caps a band-aid, but in the case of dimming lights, it's a good solution.

14. twistid

i thinks more like pioneer/premier... the only reason premier exist, is so they can have more dealers in a single market... just so happens this guy carried both brands... he claims he only sold the interstate batteries, until he kept getting request from ricers for the real thing.

15. twistid

even on rocford's chart, it shows you need more than just a 1 farad cap to see any real improvment.

16. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

I was gonna say this until I saw it was posted. A cap was my first thought at the sound of dimming headlights.

17. Ronin

Ronin Guest

dont waste ur money on a stupid ass cap

18. Zylo

Zylo big time. hard line. bad luck.

Caps don't solve dimming headlights.

To solve dimming headlights, either sell your Audi, or buy a larger alternator.