What video card should I get?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Homan, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Homan

Homan Unconquerable OT Supporter

My current video card is failing forsome reason, it's a geforce2, I used to have an ATI, and before that another nvidia card, for some reason my computer doesn't seem to like nvidia cards and crash way more then when I was with ATI.

So I am looking for another ATI card, any recommendations on good cheap ones? I am not going to play any games on this computer, it's a 800mhz P3 so I am mostly just gonna do homework, watch videos, listen to songs, etc.

2. eof

eof New Member

Can't go wrong with a Radeon 8500...cheap as fuck and will play games if you need to + the 2D graphics are mint with them.....It has good features too. (TV-Out, good multi-monitor support, etc)

:bigthumb:

3. MP

MP New Member

even the ati 9000 is pretty cheap. It's got some kick to it for such a card. But yeah...if you don't have the cash I've heard good things about the 8500 being able to handle just about everything you throw at it.

4. Spoon

Spoon Guest

Yep, another vote for the ATI 8500. Cheaper and faster than the Radeon 9000. But you have to be careful though. I read on www.rage3d.com that some of the 8500s now come with slower memory or slower clockspeed. Try to make sure you're getting the 275mhz w/ 3.6ns ram.

5. eof

eof New Member

Mine is a 250/250 4ns ram (Powered By ATI)....it isn't that much slower then the 275/275 3.6ns ram (Built by ATI) cards....I don't know...from the sounds of it you would be happy with either.... :dunno:

6. Spoon

Spoon Guest

There's some that are now 230/230, not sure about the ram speed though. And of course, if you're going to pay the same price anyways, might as well get the faster one.

7. eof

eof New Member

hmm...http://www.ncix.com (best prices in Canada usually)

has the Radeon 8500 LE (250/250) 128mb ram for $150

the same card @ (275/275) is listed as $288

...i don't think that 25mhz is worth that much myself

8. leg0

leg0 Guest

wait for the nvidia FX. its dope as hell.

9. eof

eof New Member

Read the thread....if you had read it before you posted you would have noticed he is not looking for the top of the line card he is just looking for something entry levelish...

:slap:
    Stick to lurking you are better at it...:greddy:

10. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

His machine would likely bog down on nVidiaFX card. I'm considering the 9500 Pro, which is one level below the 9700 series. It's abit much for a casual user, but does have some head room for future compatibility. Also to note not all 8500 is cheap. The LE is likely the lowest of the lot, but there are DVI versions which can run you up a few bills.

11. archangel

archangel Active Member

I'm in the exact same situation. My nividia is failing on my Dell w/ 733mhz P3. And i just need a good cheap card fo HW, videos and songs.

12. Homan

ok best place to buy online?

13. leg0

leg0 Guest

if i wanted your opinion i would have fucking asked for it. have a nice day :wavey:

14. eof

eof New Member

Yup...and my opinion would have probably been posted earlier in the thread but apparently you don't read threads that you post in....and you would probably sound like a douche bag again.

:fawk:

15. Homan

let's not fight and instead find a cheap place for me to buy it :big grin:

16. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

newegg.com is the best online place. try looking through your local techno papers, if they exist, cuz OEM would always be cheaper. newegg also has OEM.

17. TehShaggy1

TehShaggy1 Guest

Ditto on Newegg :bigthumb:

18. eof

eof New Member

Take a look at http://www.ncix.com too they have good prices usually....