What video card should I get?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kerpal, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

I need a vid card for a second system I'm putting together. I don't really play any newer games (counterstrike, unreal tournament, quake 3 are all I've gotten into in recent years), but I do want to watch a lot of dvd movies on the computer. I guess I don't need a high-powered graphics card since I'm not into gaming, but I would like to get something that will last me a long time without needing to be upgraded. I definately want outputs for TV & DVI. Can I get a good card to fit my needs for under $100 or so?

I was looking at the Radeon 9600 line, but it seems like it would be waste of money since I don't even own any new games. I'm trying not to spend too much here, since I'd rather use the money for more memory or a bigger hard drive...

2. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

The Radeon 9600 line packs a lot of power for not much money, but if you don't need the power, then look for something in the Radeon 9200 level or the NForce FX5200 level. Those should be less than $100.

3. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

Yeah I've heard good things about the Radeon 9600 line but it seems like it would be overkill. If I can find a regular 9600 for around $100 I'll probably get one... I don't think I need the Pro or XT versions at all.

How's the reliability & ease of setup on the 9200 and FX5200? I guess it would depend somewhat on the particular maker... I mainly want something trouble free.

Another thing that just occured to me... are video card fans loud enough to hear? I know some of the 9600's use pretty beefy looking fans to cool them down. This system will be going in my bedroom, so I'm trying to keep it as quiet as possible... my current system isn't louder than average, but I still can't fall asleep with it running.

4. Car54

Car54 Member

I bought an Asus Radeon 9600SE with 128mb DDR for $84.99 at newegg. It came highly recommended and works flawlessly.
    It has DVI and TV outs.

Item # 14-121-502

5. JBwebGuy

JBwebGuy Guest

Treat yourself to a 9600XT, they're great cards for the $

6. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

What's the difference between the SE and the regular 9600/9600 Pro?

7. Jericho

Jericho Active Member

the SE is the "don't ever buy me version"

8. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

hahaha.... could you elaborate please?

9. Raggity Man

Raggity Man Lets share the milk of human kindness

SE runs at like 64-bit and the regular runs at 128-bit, err something like that, point is dont buy SE

10. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

SE = sucker's edition

:o

11. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

Looks like I'm buying a regular Radeon 9600, the Sapphire 128 bit. It has a big heatsink instead of a fan, should be great because this system is going in my bedroom & I can't stand fan noise. I doubt I'll notice the difference between it and the Pro version for my use, and it's only $92.

Now to just find a super quiet case fan to complete my near-silent system... :big grin:

12. Car54

Car54 Member

the difference is the SE has half the memory bandwidth.. as someone said, 64 vs 128 bit.

It works great for me because I dont play games. I could have probably gotten away with a 4mb matrox g200. I read up at all the hardware review sites and the asus 9600SE was a good card, and I got it cheap. thats all I needed, and it works fine.

13. mestizo

mestizo New Member

Radeon 9600 XT - $150
    GeForce FX 5200 Ultra $130
    Radeon 9800 Pro - $220
    GeForce FX 5950 Ultra

Go ahead and get the 5950 if you're rich, otherwise the 5200 ultra will be a great card for you. I still render graphics, play games, AND watch DVD's on my litle Geforce 2 with no problems.

Don't listen to the nvidia haters, nvidia > ati