What USB flash drive shuold i get?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by qpalzm, Sep 4, 2005.

1. qpalzm

qpalzm New Member

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I have the lexar one, it's nice if you want to be able to have a secure part of the drive, otherwise, I'd go with the sandisk one. The thinner ones fit into usb ports easier and don't block the other ports.

3. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Sandisk makes a Cruzer Titanium. Titanium shell, retracting USB plug. Very durable. I carry one everyday I use to move files back and forth.

4. JaggedEdge

JaggedEdge ???????????? OT Supporter

I vote for the Titanium as well. No lid to lose.

I actually have a Cruzer mini, and the lids start to wear out quickly so they don't stay on very well. I have a PNY as well, and it's not bad, but the outside scratches easily so it looks very worn in a short amount of time.

5. punkerz123

punkerz123 New Member

Titanium costs a bit more doesnt it?

get the PNY or the cruzer one

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Not much, plus you get what you pay for.

7. HardTech

HardTech hungry

:werd:

faster than any of those listed

looks a lot better

a whole lot durable

plus, it gets better with time.. the plastic retractable button starts to feel a lot smoother after a few weeks of use

8. punkerz123

punkerz123 New Member

its about $30 more than the ones he listed.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

My mother has the Lexar, my brother has the Sandisk, and my college roommate has the PNY. None of them have complained, so I assume they're all adequately reliable.

A smoother retraction button could be a bad thing if you need to slide it, because you're losing grip. I have an old Sandisk Cruzer, the kind that accepts a separate SD memory card, and I have to say I hate the sliding plug. The slider is sticky on the inside and slippery on the outside, and there are bits of worn-off plastic inside the case where the moving parts run against the housing. Not to mention the thing is too big to plug into a USB port if there's another port in use right next to it, so it comes with a little extender cord that I have to take with it everywhere. I know the new one doesn't have the size problem, but the slider just substitutes a breakable part for a lose-able part (the plug cap it doesn't need).

I'd go with the simpler design myself -- if you lose the cap, you can still use the drive. If the slider breaks or gets stuck, either you have to rip the housing off to use the drive, or you can't retract the plug and you're in the same boat as the guy who lost the cap and you can't even use one of the spare caps because you don't have any.

10. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Like I said not much. Small price considering if he carries it around every day it will probably have to be replaced in a year or so (I broke 2 of the mini-cruzers before I bought the Titanium).

11. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

I think he meant that the mechanism action gets smoother, not that it literally gets a smoother texture.