GUN what type of ear and eye protection do you guys use?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by WiLL, Apr 18, 2004.

1. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

im starting to go to the range more often, and i would rather not borrow their in house stuff. what kind of gear do you guys use? :)

2. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

i don't wear eyes indoors because i've had brass get stuck behind them before, burning my eyelid and eyebrow. while it might protect me in case of a KB, i'm just stupid, and don't care.

for ears, i use plugs, in the 30 dB cut range. i should wear muffs over those, but i'm too cheap to bother, plus they're uncomfortable. though, i'm already going deaf from not wearing anything at band practice and concerts.

3. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

when i go to the indoor range, i use their eyes and ears :hs:. Usually plugs, and muffs since i dont wear the muffs properly. I dont want to mess up my hair, so i have them hanging from the back :o

I've actually had the brass bounce off the wall and hit off the lenses on my eye wear :hs:

4. SoKo

SoKo New Member

yellow all around glasses i got at wal-mart for 10 dollars

the cheap orange ear plugs

5. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

You already wrote that you don't care but you might want to reconsider not wearing eye protection. Wearing a ballcap can prevent most brass from making its way behind your glasses. Not wearing them means it only takes one bad incident and you'll be blind in one or both eyes. Eyes are too easily damaged to be unprotected while shooting.

For hearing pro I have a few pairs of the Peltor Tac 6’s. I teach and train a lot so I bought electronic ear muffs to be able to hear range commands as well as students’ questions on the line. The first time you take off your muffs to hear what someone is saying is the time the guy with the 18” FAL decides to let off a 5 round string. I like keeping my electronic muffs in place all the time and think they are really worth the coin if you shoot enough to justify them.

-smn

6. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

i have been useing a pair of smith and wesson range glasses and the standard 30db orange plugs

can you explain a little better what these are? how well do they work? i was at the range and was haveing a hard time hearing the range commands. how much were they and where could i get a set?

7. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

:werd: they sound interesting.

8. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

clear shooting glasses and a pair of leightning 31 earmuffs.

[​IMG]

9. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

i have clean and yellow glasses from Wiley X, AO, S&W, and Oakley. Depends which pair i grab from car, bag, house, etc. Find a pair that fit against your forehead, i say. i've found i've been hit square in the lense a lot more often than had it fall behind the lense. The Wiley's have been the most scratch resistant so far, but the AO's are cheap enough that you can buy a dozen pair to make up for how easily the lenses get scratched.

Right now, i use foam plugs or the Leightning 31 if i'm not shooting rifle (thus, don't need a good cheek weld to the stock). Still budgeting for a pair of Peltor Comtacs.

The electronic earmuffs use circuitry to amplify ambient noise, but shut off and function as regular earmuffs when they pick up high impulse sounds like a gunshot. Sounds a little gadgety to me, but they really do work, and really work well.

10. RealFastV6

RealFastV6 OMFGh4x0rzZ!!111

11. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

:eek3:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Peltor ComTac is a "hearing" hearing protector; it picks up and amplifies ambient sounds. A radio can be connected to an audio input for external communication and a microphone arm can be attached for complete headset function. The ComTac is also specially designed to be worn comfortably under a helmet, be used with different kinds of weapons without being in the way, and at the same time protect effectively against harmful noise levels.

A hearing protector
    The ComTac is an active-volume hearing protector. The two microphones pick up ambient sound and amplify it in true stereo so you can tell the direction from which the sound comes form. A volume control lets you decide the level of amplification you want. Any impulsive harmful noise iw immediately attenuated to a harmless level. When the harmful noise subsides, the hearing function resumes.

Reliable communication
    The ComTac is equipped with an audio input for connection to an external radio. The system for external radio communication and active-volume work independently of one another, providing extra high reliability and increased safety. Even if the ComTac is switched off, it can still receive external radio signals. A boom mic can be mounted and connected easily to facilitate two-way communication.

ComTac Data:

- Active-volume function in stereo.
    - Last volume setting is stored when powered off.
    - Automatically switch off after two hours if no function is used.
    - Two signals are emitted as a warning that the ComTac will switch off in one minute if no function is activated.
    - Battery life is up to 250 hours.
    - Three warning signals are emitted every 30 seconds for five minutes when power is low, then the headset switches off.
    - Polarity protection of the circuit if the batteries are inserted backwards.
    - The Active volume will be attenuated down to about 30 dB when an external radio signal comes in through the audio input.
    - Extrnal signals will remain audible even when the batteries are dead and when the ComTac is switched off.
    - Weight = 315 g.
    - NRR = 25 dB.

12. RealFastV6

RealFastV6 OMFGh4x0rzZ!!111

13. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Same here. Work just great!

14. Werm

Werm Guest

Ear plugs, barley hear a thing. I used to shoot a lot of guns without ear plus, including this redhawk I used to have. Now I don't hear as good, but surprisingly I hear good.

15. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Yeah, hearing damage is cumulative. So it doesn't pay at all to shoot without hearing protection unless you absolutely have to.

Two rounds of 5.56mm indoors with bare ears ensured i was nearly deaf for a whole day and had ringing for two. Won't be doing that again. :o

16. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

I don't wear either :o

I hardly shoot though, and if I do, it's usually a maximum of 3-4 shots.

17. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Some of the newest research indicates that ear plugs, while blocking the actual sound waves through the ear canal, do not inhibit the travel of vibration in the area surrounding the ear. A high level of this vibration (cumulative) has been linked to hearing degradation. Muffs have better sound dampening properties over a larger area surrounding the ear.

This research could turn out to be nothing and plugs may be just as effective as muffs in preventing hearing damage but the Peltor Tac 6's are amplified, provide good coverage, and are low profile enough to allow a proper cheek weld with a rifle.

-smn

18. Platinum_Thunder

ARs are loud as fuck :hs:

19. Platinum_Thunder

I always have a headache after shooting :( Combo of lead and vibration I think :o

20. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

wow, i didnt know there was such a wide range of things i should look into.

i was checking these out:
    http://www.elvex.com/ear-muffs-start.htm
    [​IMG]

and for the low price, i dont think itll hurt to give em a try.

25 dB Certified NRR to ANSI S3.19-1974
    28 dB Certified SNR to CE EN 352-1
    Soft and pliable SuperSeal™ ear cushions.
    Fully dielectric construction
    Low headband force and light-weight, 6.8 oz.
    SuperSeal™ ear cushions provide outstanding seal and comfort
    Ease of adjustments with flexible slide clips.
    Dielectric construction
    Suggested resale is $8.20

21. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Good old foam ear plugs.

22. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

i forget what brand they are, but a friend of mine has some fluid-filled muffs that are not only comfortable, but quiet.

23. JW2

JW2 New Member

Most of the time, cheapo plugs + cheapo muffs. Sometimes just the plugs if I'm not going to be shooting much. Even though they are cheap, the combination works very well.

24. OPM Inc.

OPM Inc. OT Supporter

plugs and muffs and oakley prescriptions because my eyes are so bad.

25. Redmouse

Redmouse Just looking...

Whatever Wal-Mart has in stock. But the foam inserts and muffs if I'm shooting a rifle. Just the muffs when I'm shooting pistols.