What type of drop in E.T would I be looking at with my Buick with gears?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Buick Muscle, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

Any B-Body guys on the forum? Basically, the car is running an open diff with a 2.97 rear end ratio on it. In the 1/4 mile, it laid down a 15.0 @ 93MPH. The transmission i noticed tends to acts like a power glide. Holds first and second all the way almost through the 1/4 mile. Shifts into third a little before the traps, and the engine is just basically loafing its way at about 3000 RPMs.

So what feasibly, would I be looking at with a 3.73 gearing and a posi trac? I talked to a few ford guys, and the told me not to expect anything more then maybe .2 tenths. However, I have a feeling that the car is more capable then that, and I wouldn't be surprised if the car dropped almost a whole second from gearing.

BTW, the car is a 1995 Buick Roadmaster.

2. Nemesis_152

Nemesis_152 I'm a delicate desert flower from Arizona.

my roomate installed 3.73s and an eaton in his 96 impala (same car), and he noticed a great improvement. he has no timeslips, though.

3. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

Really? How much did that run him? I was considering a similiar combo.

4. Nemesis_152

i think it was really close to 800$, but he got a great deal on the install. just call it a grand by the time you're finished.

5. Bloke

Bloke Banned

why did it come with a 2.97?

6. Nemesis_152

all the b-body cars did.

7. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

The difference will be very noticable.

8. mo_dingo

mo_dingo Guest

It will feel like a whole new car, seriously. If you are going to do it, might as well do 4.10's. I did 3.73's and I wish I did 4.10's.
    Scott

9. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

Damn bro, 4:10's are kinda aggresive. I would want to do 3:73's since I will be driving this on the highway.

BTW, it came with 2.97's. 3:08's and Posi-Trac if it had the tow package.

10. NeoPaladin

NeoPaladin New Member

Yeah, 3.73's ought to be perfect for you. 4.10's on the 4L60 will put you at about 3000 RPM at 70ish. Alright for a Honda Civic, maybe, but not so much for an LT1. ;)

My guess would be that you'd pick up about a half-second in the quarter. Just out of curiosity, what route are you intending to go with this car? Streetable daily driver, I'm assuming? If so, I'd go with the 3.73's, full exhaust (headers, high flow cat, and full catback, preferably 3"), and possibly a mild cam. That'd definately put you into the high 13's in that 4000lbs. beast. :bigthumb:

11. TireSmoke

TireSmoke New Member

3.90s here...from stock 3.08

It'll be a great seat of the pants gain and probably 2 tenths in the 1/4 if you can still launch the car without spinning the tires. Gears plus sticky tires will net you A LOT lower ETs, over gears and street tires.....or stock gears and slicks/DRs

this may be interesting...shows my improvement over the past two years with my grey 88GT and blue 87gt. Major changes noted...

http://www.87gt.com/87GT/RACESHT2.htm

compare pass 30 (3.08) to pass 37 (3.90)

12. turbobuick420

turbobuick420 New Member

dont see too many roadmasters at the track. the 3.73s should make a big difference. good luck