WEB What type of coding do I need to learn

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by chubbs15, Aug 22, 2008.

1. chubbs15

chubbs15 New Member

I'm in the early development phase of a video game review website. The layout is almost done and I'm planning to start cranking out content this weekend.

I've got a few friends and volunteer writers contributing and hopefully by end of month I'll have enough content to launch.

Pretty much, what kind of coding do I need to know/learn in order to make life easy when it comes to managing content for this site?

Is there a way I can upload plain text files for news releases and have a program convert it according to my website template? The same goes for reviews and previews when the writers send me their files in word docs.

Also, when these files are actually up, what kind of code can I set so I can have a content box on the home page display the most recent news uploaded (or display a link with the headline as anchor text)

Thanks!

2. intrktevo

intrktevo New Member

I think the easiest and quickest solution for you is going to go with a premade CMS like Wordpress or Joomla. Both have tons of plugins that you can use to get a site working like you want.

With a premade CMS, you can assign people logins, and they can add articles themesleves, with out having them to send them to you first, and other stuff to make your life easier.

With no prior programming knowledge, it's going to take quite a while before you're able to develop something production worthy.

3. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

:werd:

fuck, even now i dont think i develop anything production worthy :run:

4. chubbs15

chubbs15 New Member

Yeah, but the problem with wordpress and co is that I want to avoid making the site look too much like a blog.

As for learning programming code, I don't mind formatting files manually for a little bit. But hopefully if I'm able to drive traffic high enough, I want to maintain high traffic by keeping content fresh.

I'm still reading into ways I can go about this. I'm still not entirely sure how php works, but is there a way I can develop a php code that translates press releases/reviews/previews/etc... into a proper site format?

5. intrktevo

intrktevo New Member

What your site looks like depends solely on the design.

Spend $100 and have someone create and implement a design for you.

6. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

drupal ftw.

7. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

8. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

9. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

I'm a programmer at heart.. wordpress was the easiest for me to use.

after using wordpress, I'm going to try drupal again and I think I'll probably have better luck working with it the second time around.

then I might try joomla again.

10. intrktevo

intrktevo New Member

im a programmer too and don't really like working with wordpress, but it's the first one I tried and stuck with it. i'll probably look into joomla for whatever project I pursue next

also, http://rollerhockeyucf.com is a website running wordpress that i made that I think doesn't look like a blog, as reference

11. chubbs15

chubbs15 New Member

Cool, thanks guys.

Not quite exactly what I was thinking about. But I'll try to get most of the site up by this weekend and I'll see how much I can get done.

Thanks again.