What TV show should I watch next?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Joe_Cool, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Recently I've watched Farscape, Babylon 5, Enterprise, Red Dwarf, Heroes, Lexx, Stargate SG-1, and Stargate Atlantis.

I'm making my way through Star Trek, but it doesn't grip me the way some of these other shows do. I think I'm spoiled and need continuous storylines in my shows now.

I'll rewatch Eureka soon, since the new episodes are due shortly, but in the meantime I'm thinking about running through DS9 again, unless you guys have some good suggestions.

Oh, and anybody who has not seen Red Dwarf, get it ASAP. :bowdown:

2. Joe_Cool

Maybe I'll just watch the current season of Lost. :o

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

lost is awesome

but based on your list of other shows I just get the :ugh: face.

4. Joe_Cool

I've enjoyed it so far.

It must suck to have crappy taste in TV. :sadwavey:

5. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i can't get into lost... i've tried.

6. Joe_Cool

I guess it's not for everybody. It hooked me from the very beginning of the first episode.

7. sploosh

sploosh OT Supporter

My buddies told me to watch Battlestar Galactica. I started reading through Tomash's post about it but stopped after I saw the spoilers warning. My question is what order should I watch the series in? On Netflix I see "Razor" and "The story so far." When should i watch those while watching the seasons?

8. twistid

i couldn't even finish the whole first episode, when it first premiered.:o

9. twistid

BSG is another show, that i couldn't get into... i liked the original series better.

10. Joe_Cool

Yeah the original Galactica was more interesting. :rofl: The storyline on the new show just bored me after the first 2 seasons. Too repetitive, and I don't CARE who's the next cylon they reveal.

11. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

Lost this season = bad ass.

12. lowfat

I am in the same boat. I've rewatched almost all my favourite SciFi's over the past few months and caught up on all my other shows I watch. I don't know what to watch next.... Maybe DS9 :hs: or TOS.

13. Joe_Cool

Is it? I hope so. It should be finished downloading by now, so maybe I'll start it tonight.

After I finish the last 2 episodes of Smallville. :hsugh:

14. lowfat

I thought the last episode of smallville was alright :o It wasn't as good as Supernatural though.

15. mr jenzie

mr jenzie New Member

what about some of the seventies stuff like SAPPHIRE AND STEEL, UFO (not to be confused with PROJECT UFO), THE INVISIBLE MAN, BLAKES SEVEN, the original MARTIAN CHRONICLES (still can't get over the ***** blowing up!!!), QUATERMASS, SPACE 1999 (still to watch series 2), STAR MAIDENS, THE TOMORROW PEOPLE, THE TRIPODS, THE FANTASTIC VOYAGE .....

or more recent series like INVASION EARTH, THE LAST TRAIN, SEA OF SOULS, PRIMEVIL (very decent dinoromp IMO), CHARLIE JADE .....

or THE CLANGERS :mamoru:

or if you're feeling masachistic ..... TIME TRAX .....

BTW, have i said here that i have all of red dwarf on tape?

and i agree with LOST, it's been stunning!! (finished series 4 over here) :bowdown:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  16. lowfat

I didn't recognize a SINGLE one od those.

17. Joe_Cool

Hmmm... I do have both seasons of Space:1999 on dvd, but they didn't really catch my interest the first time I tried watching them (used to be one of my favorite shows as a kid). Maybe I'll give it another shot.

And yeah, Red Dwarf is awesome. :bowdown:

18. Joe_Cool

One of these days I plan to get a hold of Dr. Who, but don't have it yet.

19. Joe_Cool

Speaking of shows I wish I had...

I'd sure like to find a complete set of the Six Million Dollar Man, The Man From Atlantis, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, and the original Battlestar Galactica. :hs:

20. lowfat

I had the first three seasons of Dr. Who (remake) but after watching the first 2 awful episodes, it got erased :o

21. mr jenzie

mr jenzie New Member

:rofl:

you poor deluded fool ..... prepare to be edumacated :noes:

SAPPHIRE AND STEEL - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapphire_and_steel
    The programme centres on a pair of interdimensional operatives, the eponymous Sapphire and Steel. Very little is revealed about their purposes or backgrounds in the course of the series but they appear to be engaged in guarding the order, if not the integrity of Time. They are two of several elements that assume human form and are sent to investigate strange events; others include Lead (Val Pringle) who takes the aspect of a jovial, friendly giant.

In the series, it is explained that Time is like a corridor that surrounds everything, but there are weak spots where Time – implied to be a potentially malignant force – can break into the present and take things. There are also creatures from the beginnings and ends of time that roam the corridor looking for the same weak spots to break through.

UFO - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFO_(TV_series)
    The show's basic premise is that in the near future –a fictional version of 1980 (a date indicated in the opening credits) – human beings are being covertly harvested for their organs by aliens.

THE INVISIBLE MAN - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Invisible_Man_(1975_TV_series)
    The Invisible Man, the second television series with this title, debuted in 1975 on NBC and starred David McCallum as scientist Daniel Weston, and Melinda Fee as his wife, Dr. Kate Weston. Inspired by the original novel by H.G. Wells, the pilot film depicts Weston working for a company called Klae Corporation, which is doing experiments in molecular disintegration and its side-effect of turning objects invisible

BLAKES SEVEN - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blakes_seven
    Set in the "third century of the second calendar",[2] Blake's 7 follows the exploits of revolutionary Roj Blake as he leads his band of rebels against the forces of the totalitarian Terran Federation which rules the Earth and many of the planets of the galaxy. The Federation controls its citizens by means of mass surveillance, brainwashing, and pacification with drugged food, water and air. Sentenced to deportation to a penal colony on a remote planet, Blake escapes with the help of his fellow prisoners and gains control of the Liberator, an alien spacecraft far in advance of anything the Federation possesses. The craft has superior speed and weaponry and a teleport system that allows crew members to be transported to the surface of a planet without having to land the ship. Blake and his crew then attempt to disrupt and damage the Federation.

THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martian_Chronicles#TV_miniseries
    The mini-series, first shown in 1980, is divided into three episodes with a total running time of just over four hours (nearly five hours on the DVD version). The first starts with two failed expeditions, where Martians kill the human spacemen. A third expedition follows where one of the crewmembers goes insane and is killed by the commander of the mission.

QUATERMASS - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quatermass_(TV_serial)
    Influenced by the social and geopolitical situation of the early nineteen-seventies and the hippie youth movement of the late nineteen-sixties, Quatermass is set in a near future where the fabric of society in the cities has broken down. Ever increasing numbers of young people are joining a cult, known as the “Planet People”, who gather at ancient sites, such as stone circles, believing they will be transported to a better life on another planet. Professor Quatermass becomes involved when a powerful alien force starts manifesting itself at these gatherings, reducing the attendant Planet People to dust. Believing that the Planet People are being harvested for food, Quatermass works against the clock to find a way to defeat the alien force.

SPACE 1999 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_1999
    The underlying storyline of Space: 1999 centered on the plight of the inhabitants of Moonbase Alpha following a calamity on September 13, 1999. A huge nuclear waste dump on the far side of the Moon detonates in a massive thermonuclear explosion, initiated by the buildup of magnetic radiation which was released, causing a nuclear chain reaction. The force of the explosion causes the Moon to be sent hurtling out of Earth's orbit and into deep space at colossal speed, stranding the 311 crew members, in effect becoming the "spaceship" on which our heroes travel, looking for a new home. During their interstellar journey, the Alphans encounter a vast array of alien civilizations, dystopian societies, and strange phenomena previously unseen by man.

STAR MAIDENS - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Maidens
    The series depicted a "Battle of the Sexes" scenario, where two escapees from the planet Medusa land on Earth are pursued by the security forces. Medusa is a world where the women rule and the men are slaves. When the Medusan forces fails to recapture the two men, they take two Earthling hostages - a man and a woman - and take them back to Medusa. The thirteen episodes of the series deal with the two groups trying to adapt to life on the two planets.

THE TOMORROW PEOPLE - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tomorrow_People
    The original series was produced by Thames Television for Britain's ITV network. In the show the Tomorrow People operate out of a secret laboratory, The lab, built in an abandoned London Underground station. They watch for new Tomorrow People "breaking out" to help them through the process and sometimes deal with attention from extraterrestrial species. They deal with the "Galactic Federation" which oversees the welfare of telepathic species throughout the galaxy. In addition to their psychic powers, they also use advanced technology such as the biological computer TIM, which is capable of original thought and can augment their psychic powers. TIM also helps the Tomorrow People to teleport long distances, although they must be wearing a device installed into a belt or bracelet for this to work. Teleportation is called jaunting in the show, similar to the term jaunte used in the novel The Stars My Destination.

THE TRIPODS - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tripods#TV_series
    The story of The Tripods is post-apocalyptic. Humanity has been conquered and enslaved by "the tripods", unseen alien entities who travel about in gigantic three-legged walking machines (the unsophisticated humans believe the walking machines themselves to be their living overlords). Human society is largely pastoral, with few habitations larger than villages, and what little industry exists is conducted under the watchful presence of the tripods. Lifestyle is reminiscent of the Middle Ages, but artifacts from previous ages are still used, giving individuals and homes a rather anachronistic appearance.

THE FANTASTIC JOURNEY - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fantastic_Journey
    The series concerns a family and their associates who charter a boat out into the Caribbean for a scientific expedition. After an encounter in the area of the Bermuda Triangle with an unnatural green cloud the group find themselves shipwrecked on a mysterious uncharted island from which they are unable to escape.

INVASION EARTH - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion:_Earth_(TV_series)
    London 1944, during the height of the V2 rocket blitz on England, an unidentified and notably non-German object crashes, devastating the surrounding homesteads. Bomb disposal troops arrive on the scene, led by Lt. Charles Tyrell, an Oxford Don and anthropologist. While searching the scene the soldiers discover two of the crashed craft's occupants, one of whom is shot dead while running from the scene, the other badly injured in the crash itself. It soon becomes apparent that the occupants are not human in the classic sense, with their domed heads and speckled pale skin. Tyrell builds a rapport with the survivor, just as Military Intelligence arrives.

The action then moves to Scotland, 1998, centred around a joint RAF / NATO airforce base. Flight Lt. Chris Drake and his navigator, Jim Radcliffe, are launched in their Tornado Fighter to intercept an unidentified craft over the North Sea. During the ensuing identification, the base and intercepting RAF planes are seemingly attacked by a weapon that shuts off their main power, forcing Drake to act against orders and shoot down the UFO. In the process, his own craft is forced to ditch into the sea. He is recovered alive; his best friend and navigator dies of hypothermia. Drake is grounded as a result of his hasty actions.

THE LAST TRAIN - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_last_train
    Following a random group of individuals heading to Sheffield, it followed the survival of a mixed group of passengers on a train who were accidentally cryogenically frozen. Waking up decades later, the passengers find that they are some of the last remaining humans to survive an apocalyptic meteor strike, and are alone in the British countryside. Scientist Harriet Ambrose (Nicola Walker) was making her way to a top-secret government project known as "Ark", supposedly a project to save humanity. The journey that follows revolves mainly around Harriet's obsession to reach the Ark and her boyfriend Jonathan Geddes (Ralph Brown) despite not being aware how many years have passed.

SEA OF SOULS - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_of_souls
    The central character is Dr. Douglas Monaghan, played by Bill Paterson, who is the head of a parapsychology unit at a fictional university in Glasgow, Scotland. In the first series he is assisted by Megan Sharma (Archie Panjabi) and Dr. Andrew Gemmill (Peter McDonald), but these characters were replaced – without any on-screen explanation – in the second series by Justine McManus (Dawn Steele) and Craig Stevenson (Iain Robertson).

The series has seen the team encounter phenomena such as ghosts, reincarnation and voodooism. Each series has consisted of six one-hour episodes, initially comprising three two-part story lines. The first series was shown on consecutive Monday and Tuesday nights, but for series two the transmission days switched to Saturday and Sunday. Other changes introduced in the second series included the introduction of sub-plots to help with the pacing of each storyline, and more Scottish-focused story lines, the first series having been criticised for the characters' frequent trips to London.

PRIMEVAL - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primeval
    The series follows a team of scientists who investigate anomalies in time and deal with the prehistoric and future creatures that travel through. The team of five is led by Professor Nick Cutter, an evolutionary zoologist determined to find his wife, who disappeared while investigating an anomaly in the Forest of Dean eight years previously.

CHARLIE JADE - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Jade
    scientists from Vex-Cor attempt to open a wormhole from the Alphaverse to the Gammaverse in a bid to drain water from the latter to the former. In Gammaverse, terrorists Bern and Reena — aware of Vex-Cor's intent — prepare to sabotage the facility. Before the stable wormhole can be completed, a massive explosion at the site of the portal (a large open air water reservoir) leads to a chain reaction explosion that moves through all three universes. This results in Charlie being thrown from Alphaverse into the Betaverse, into a different Cape Town that he is unfamiliar with. Would-be terrorist Reena is also thrown into the Betaverse.

there's also AFTERLIFE - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afterlife_(TV_series)
    The main characters of the series are the psychic, Alison Mundy (played by Lesley Sharp) and the academic who becomes involved with her due to his sceptical interest in the paranormal, Dr Robert Bridge (Andrew Lincoln). Set in Bristol, each of the six one-hour episodes of the first series sees Alison become involved in the appearance of a spirit and attempting to discover why it has come back to haunt the living. Robert becomes involved in the first episode, when Alison first moves to Bristol and her activities inadvertently result in the suicide of one of his students.

THE CLANGERS - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clangers
    The Clangers is an iconic British stop motion animated children's television series made by Smallfilms, the company set up by Oliver Postgate (writer and narrator) and Peter Firmin (modelmaker, animator and illustrator). Firmin designed the characters and his wife knitted and 'dressed' the Clangers. Music (which was often significant in the stories, as well as being theme and incidental music) was by Vernon Elliot.

The programme featured a number of small creatures living in peace and harmony on - and in - a small, hollow planet far far away, nourished by Blue String Pudding, and Green Soup harvested from the planet's volcanic soup wells by the Soup Dragon. The Clangers looked similar to mice, anteaters and, from their pink colour, pigs. They wore clothes reminiscent of Roman armour and spoke in whistles.

and last, but definately least :mamoru: TIME TRAX - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Trax
    In the year 2193, over a hundred criminals became fugitives of law enforcement by travelling back in time two hundred years, using a time machine called Trax. Darien Lambert (Dale Midkiff) was a police detective of that period who was sent back to 1993 in order to apprehend as many of the fugitives as possible. He was assisted by the Specified Encapsulated Limitless Memory Archive, or SELMA (Elizabeth Alexander), an extremely small but very powerful computer (described as equivalent to a mainframe) disguised for the mission as an AT&T MasterCard and communicated through a holographic interface which took the visual form of a prim British nanny. Lambert was also equipped with an MPPT (Micro-Pellet Projection Tube) disguised as a keyless car alarm remote, which could stun the target or engulf the target in an energy field which would render him transportable to the future, at which point Selma would execute the transmission sequence to send the criminal on his way. Lambert's biggest enemy was Dr. Mordecai Sahmbi (Peter Donat), who was responsible for sending the fugitives to 1993, and who tried several times to kill him.

22. mr jenzie

mr jenzie New Member

YOU FOOL:squint:

23. twistid

i would like to see world of the worlds(the tv show) again, to see if it was as good as i remember.

24. Joe_Cool

Nice post, jenzie. Why don't you post here more often?

edit: You too, twistid. :mamoru:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  25. Joe_Cool

I can't believe they're dragging it out ANOTHER season though. I don't think I can bear to watch another season of crap, waiting for Clark to become Superman, or at least freaking FLY. :ugh:

And no Martha, Lionel, Lex, or Lana? Well, Lana I can do without, but I'm also sick of Brainiac, so it balances out. But come on. Chloe and Clark are the only original characters left. They should have wrapped up the story this season, or at least made it watchable again: Clark dedicates his life to protecting earth and its people, fighting crime, truth, justice, and the American way, etc, and joins the Justice League. Lex brings his 33.1 meteor freak project to fruition and forms the Legion of Doom. Boom. Suddenly it's interesting again.