What todo with tons of scsi drives?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cassetti, Apr 6, 2005.

1. cassetti

cassetti New Member

I work for a company that sells used data storage stuff for companys. Often we have old stuff nobody uses anymore that we get for a steal

One thing we have a LOT of is 80-pin scsi ultra2 drives that are 1.7" thick ( they are not skinny at all!)

Problem is - finding a scsi shelf to hold the drives! - i have access to maybe 40 50GB drives, and 300 18gb drives - the 18s i can take for like nothing - the 50's would cost me money.

Anyone know of any shelfs to hook them up in?? i'm a poor college student - so price is big.

but i have a private server - with 80 gigs and 120 gig drves (ide interface) - and don't know much bout scsi

performance is not the issue - storage space is

(i know i know - 200 gig ide drive runs $120 these days - but if i got a 7 bay shelf for $30 - used - and snagged 7 50gb drives for $100 (which i could manage) - thats 350 gigs of more space!

Imagine if i got say a few shelfs and loaded them with 18's (the computer is not used for much more than storage)

Thanks for any help (and if you need scsi drives - leme know! lol)

2. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

1x1's and plywood are your friends.

3. cassetti

cassetti New Member

lol - i'm looking for a better option than that - anyone got anything?

We have shelfs for holding 14 scsi drives that are the skinny ones - 1 inchers - but those are the ONLY drives that are scsi that we sell out of fast (and hence - i can't get my hands on them unless i pay the same price the customers pay!)