what to use on REALLY REALLY strong adhesive, thats also 21 years old

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by tommyortom, Sep 25, 2005.

1. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

on one of my jetskis...a 1984 kawasaki 550 standup.....i removed the factory graphics, and the manufacturer safety and instructions stickers, and the us coast gaurd sticker. the graphics came off with ease with a little goo gone and a heat gun.

now with these manufacturer and USCG stickers...the sticker itself came off fine..but the entire surface area that the sticker took up is still covered with adhesive. it WILL NOT come off with a heat gun, acetone, or goo gone. razor blade didnt help much anyways...but i didnt try to dig too hard..i dont want to damage my gel coat.

anyways...what are some other methods i should try? these are the first stickers ive had difficulty with removing the adhesive left over :(

2. Skoles

Skoles Guest

3M makes an adhesive remover, that if left to soak, makes it come off like wet paper.

3. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

whats it called? and will this hurt the paint?

3M also has adhesive removing wheels too...i might try one of those...

4. Skoles

Skoles Guest

I can't remember the name, but it was geared at removeing adhesive from stickers to that 2-way tape they use on ding guards on cars. I used it when I opened my headlights which were permenantly sealed w/some hellacious sealant. I let it sit for a while and it just came off like tacky gum.

It's safe on the paint if you clean the area immediatly afterwards & throw some wax on it. It'll take that right off.