What to study in college.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Riboflavin, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Riboflavin

Riboflavin New Member

Ok, so with a general interest in computers and programming, does anyone want to point me in a direction that may be useful in the future?

I have been doing web design for about a year now, and am learning some more advanced Server Side languages, but I don't know if that is really a profitable career.

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Its all useful. You'll be good at what you find interesting. If you have no passion: YOU SUCK. Or at least you'll never be exceptional. College is about fostering whatever passions you have. So... try different stuff. Learn on your own, in addition to your coursework. Take on a software project just cause you like it. Apply what you learn in class in your extra-curricular activities.

Take a class on "Software Engineering," which is not perfectly defined but is different than "Programming." Other than that... take what interests you.

3. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

i'm a sophomore computer engineer. if you plan on going either CS/CE, you might want to look into learning c++. i have been to two schools and they both have heavy influence in c++ in the first couple years.

it's one of the things that i wish i had taken in highschool.

don't worry too much about it. just look around and see what you're interested in. maybe get a job at a company that deals with computers and such. i currently work at the IOL (interoperability lab) near my campus in the IPv6 consortium. i love it. it's a great thing to add to experience outside of the college environment.

4. Riboflavin

Riboflavin New Member

Ya, I highschool class would be nice, but I could teach all of the courses that my school offers.

Thanks for the input guys.

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

We don't do any C++ here until about the middle of second year in CS. First year courses are in Java, second year courses are in Java and pure ANSI C with only a bit of C++ introduced.

Doesn't really matter what language you know going in. If you know some language, you'll be way ahead of some other students and you'll pick up whatever they throw at you in first year pretty easily. I did AP CS in grade 11 when it was in C++, didn't code a whole lot in grade 12 and had no problem at all picking up Java last year in my first-year courses.

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I think the first language should be C. Alot of jobs will test your C knowledge... can you build a linked list, and the functions to manipulate it, etc. If you can't do this, you're screwed.

And you only need to know C++ if you LIKE C++... cause if you don't, then you won't want to work in it.

7. Penguin Man

Yeah, there's been a lot of debate here recently about changing the curriculum around. In previous years, they've skipped right over C and taught C++ at the beginning of second year. However, people had major troubles when they got to courses like Operating Systems and weren't comfortable using pointers and dynamic memory management. Some people say they should switch the first year courses to C, which could be a good idea.

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I had trouble thinking in OO. Even still, I'm glad I learned C first. Even if I am rusty as fuck all.

9. Penguin Man

Some people are also saying that it would be better to teach OO in a separate course, where both Java and C++ are covered (similar to our non-procedural course where they do lisp and prolog). I think this totally makes sense since it would teach OO design after people know enough about programming and CS in general to actually make use of its power.

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You have to start at a lower level, otherwise they'll never learn it.

11. Riboflavin

Riboflavin New Member

/myself

php<me<C<C++

12. Penguin Man

If you've done much PHP, you won't have too much trouble picking up C/C++. The synatax is essentially the same, you just need to learn the features of the language and how it all works.

13. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

just get the degree

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Take a variety, and learn when to use what, and how to string different technologies together into something greater than the sum of its parts to solve problems. If you do that, then your career will be interesting.

15. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

i realize this fell off the front page, but whatever.

my first and 2nd year have been focused primarily on C++. the 2nd semester of sophomore year we are introduced to java. as i understand it it's because java is a "lazier" language because of it's automatic memory management attributes. from what i understand basically you learn many many programming concepts in c++ that carry over easily to other languages where you simply need to learn syntax (similar to what was said earlier about 'do you know how to make a linked list' above)

i have not worked with it yet, and am by no means a programming guru (in fact i suck, but make due). that's just the explanation that i've had.

but both schools focused on c++ first, that's why i suggested it as a starting point that'll give you a foot up on the competition.

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

C++ is so complicated that almost nobody understands all its features. Its not an appropriate first language.

17. deezil

deezil New Member

We use Ada for our first language here at Murray State. It's a nice simple yet powerful language, just gives us the basics of programming, and it's a great teaching language, no matter how dead it really is. After that, you pick C++ or Java, and then go from there.